Publix phasing out plastic bags

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2020, 10:57 AM
Default Recycling plastic grocery bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
In Florida, residential recycling does not allow grocery store bags. I found this out when I Googled if grocery bags are accepted as recycles in Florida after my brother-in-law told me plastic bags are not accepted in residential neighborhoods. I have always dropped off my plastic grocery bags in the bins in front of Publix or the bins at Winn Dixie. I thought those grocery bags were being recycled. Does anyone know what the grocery stores do with those plastic bags?
When I see a grocery store that has a bin for recycling plastic bags, I help myself to a couple of bundles to reuse for picking up dog doo. They are so nice bc they have handles. A ‘used’ paper towel recycled for this purpose takes care of any small holes in the bag... fold paper towel in half, place your hand inside plastic bag & place paper towel over poo, pickup everything as you turn bag inside out & tie, using handles to carry. I will miss the grocery bags...
Old 01-20-2020, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj1938 View Post
https://4ocean.com/?msclkid=cd9c4cf4...0-%204%20Ocean

You obviously don't. BTW having lived in south Florida I know that cockroaches absolutely love the glue in paper bags. Being a scuba diver it is unbelievable the amount of plastic in the ocean. Watch the 4ocean video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Oh, BTW, In case my previous posts give you the wrong idea about my attitude, I'm all for recycling, saving the environment, etc. I just object to someone else mandating it and shoving it down my throat. George Orwell is mumbling in his grave "I told you so"
I think you might have lost my meaning. The "who gives a crap" was facetious in response to the person commenting on using slitted bags to pick up dog poop. The other quote should be self-explanatory.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Most of them are made with recycled plastic. Some are made with cotton, or cotton/synthetic blend. You can buy some higher-end ones made from bamboo fiber, and there's a grass-roots organization that promotes ones made from banana fiber in Jamaica. You can also make your own out of duct tape and an old tee-shirt.
It's almost terrifying that you know this
Old 01-20-2020, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
I think you might have lost my meaning. The "who gives a crap" was facetious in response to the person commenting on using slitting bags to pick up dog poop. The other quote should be self-explanatory.
Are you okay with mandating that people must stop at stop signs? Your tax dollars paid for those roads, surely you have the right to do with them as you see fit. What about paying for things at the store rather than just walking out?

You don't mind the mandate that you're not allowed to grow you grass more than 4 inches right? How about the mandate that you have to pay income tax, if you have an income? What about paying your bills on time? They're YOUR bills, you should be able to pay them whenever you like, right?

Or - are you accepting that sometimes, people have to be forced to do unpleasant things, because otherwise they might refuse to do them - and civilization might suffer if we just let everyone do what they wanted, and not do what they didn't want, cause they wanna, or they don't wanna?
Old 01-20-2020, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
It's almost terrifying that you know this
At craft shows in New England there are actually crafters who use craft-tape (it's basically duct tape with fancy designs and colors) to make wallets, pocketbooks, bookcovers, keychains, and yes - re-useable, washable bags. There's one couple who gets those HUGE plastic/fiber dog food bags from farm stores, and turns those into whimsical totes. They're incredibly popular!

New England is fairly well known for pragmatism. Especially those of us who lived through the Recession, or whose families came during or just before the Depression, or whose jobs were eliminated and we had families to feed. We made do with what we had, and re-used, and proved "necessity is the mother of invention."
Old 01-20-2020, 11:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Are you okay with mandating that people must stop at stop signs? Your tax dollars paid for those roads, surely you have the right to do with them as you see fit. What about paying for things at the store rather than just walking out?

You don't mind the mandate that you're not allowed to grow you grass more than 4 inches right? How about the mandate that you have to pay income tax, if you have an income? What about paying your bills on time? They're YOUR bills, you should be able to pay them whenever you like, right?

Or - are you accepting that sometimes, people have to be forced to do unpleasant things, because otherwise they might refuse to do them - and civilization might suffer if we just let everyone do what they wanted, and not do what they didn't want, cause they wanna, or they don't wanna?
You can't seriously believe these things are equitable?
Seriously????
Traffic control, shoplifting, and income tax evasion all have known and relatively immediate consequences. Burying non-biodegradable plastic in a landfill somewhere has highly debatable and theoretical consequences. Earth will go on long after we are extinct.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Snip>>> Earth will go on long after we are extinct.

Yeah...what he said. ^^^

Just like Mars.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:38 AM

So glad to hear!!!
Old 01-20-2020, 11:45 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
If this Publix policy is even true, they're not mandating it for you. You are absolutely welcome to buy virgin-plastic heavy-duty garbage bags that have come straight from the oil wells, using coal or deisel fuel to fire up the machines that make it, in a town where the air pollution is so bad you can see the huge gash in the ozone layer without a telescope, and then toss them in your triple-layered extra-heavy garbage bag in your garage the second you get the groceries out of them.

However, you have to bring the bags yourself. That is all. No one is saying you can't use plastic bags. They're saying you may, but Publix is not going to pay for them. That is all.
Have no fear - the hole in the ozone layer is closing! hole in the ozone layer is closing - Bing

Old 01-20-2020, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Have no fear - the hole in the ozone layer is closing! hole in the ozone layer is closing - Bing
Statement in the first link on the page...
Quote:

...but its repair could actually increase warming in the southern hemisphere, according to scientists at the University of Leeds.

I personally find it advantageous and intellectually stimulating...to actually read past just the headlines.

But maybe... that's just me?

Old 01-20-2020, 11:53 AM

The University of Arizona and Loma Linda University have both studied the cloth bag issue and have discovered ecoli and salmonella bacteria in them. If using canvas bags, throw them in the washing machine often and use hot water with detergent. Dry in the dryer. If using insulated bags for your meat, clean EVERY SINGLE TIME with anti-bacteria wipes. Many people are too lazy to follow these precautions, and medical schools fear there will be a big spike in illnesses as plastic bags are phased out. Be careful!!!!
Old 01-20-2020, 12:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

I love trees and I don’t see a problem. Cutting down trees won’t be a problem if you plant tree farms for the purpose of producing paper. Also I mentioned they use recycled paper for store bags. I like to use hygienic bags for food, one use only. I have other uses for paper bags and have missed them ever since they introduced plastic.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I love trees and I don’t see a problem. Cutting down trees won’t be a problem if you plant tree farms for the purpose of producing paper. Also I mentioned they use recycled paper for store bags. I like to use hygienic bags for food, one use only. I have other uses for paper bags and have missed them ever since they introduced plastic.
Oh, please. Don't confuse the eco-warriors with the facts, it destroys their psyche
Old 01-20-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post

"Ozone" -- the warmup act for the quackery of global warming.

A hideous example of government-by-news-cycle.

The Ozone Scam - YouTube

And this is very pertinent to Floridians with Air Conditioning -- the phasing out of efficient refrigerants is a monumental screwing of the AC consumer.

["Satellites DISCOVER hole in ozone layer!" Discover? How do you know it wasn't there all along? (notice that it only appears in the southern hemisphere, where topography is different from the north...) ]
Old 01-20-2020, 12:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
There was a greeter at Publix yesterday informing people that Publix will be phasing out plastic bags. I was told this new policy will be implemented in the next 2-3 months.

Re-usable bags are $.99 each. I received a re-usable bag key ring as a reminder to bring re-usable bags to Publix. It is cute!
We were in California & everybody there charges $0.5 or $0.10 a bag, all retail stores & grocery stores!
Closed Thread

Tags
publix, bags, re-usable, phasing, plastic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.