Publix phasing out plastic bags

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2020, 07:36 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

I heard....
Old 01-21-2020, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

When plastic bags are outlawed, only outlaws will have plastic bags.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:45 AM

I don't understand how you can call yourself environmentally friendly if you condone the use of plastic bags!! Ante up the 99 cents!
Old 01-21-2020, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmcdaniel View Post
The University of Arizona and Loma Linda University have both studied the cloth bag issue and have discovered ecoli and salmonella bacteria in them.
Was the bacteria found to be in the bags before their first use?
Old 01-21-2020, 08:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwtbrisbane View Post
Wonder what happens when you go to check out and realize you forgot your bags?
Bring your groceries in the shopping cart to the car then bag the groceries with your re-usable bags which are waiting in the car.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Bring your groceries in the shopping cart to the car then bag the groceries with your re-usable bags which are waiting in the car.
A simple solution.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
I asked a Publix (on 466) employee last week about this and they said Publix is NOT getting rid of the plastic bags. I hope this is true. I use them for my groceries and then for many other uses in my house.
Well, isn't that special? That information is the complete opposite of what I was told at the Colony Publix a few days ago. That is why I began this thread.

The Publix employee was handing out key rings with the re-usable grocery bags and informing everyone that Publix is phasing out plastic grocery bags. I would imagine this is a store wide policy. I have a feeling the employee you spoke to in the Publix on 466 was not informed yet.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
You mean to say there may be 139 posts based on an unsubstantiated rumor????

WELCOME TO TOTV!!!
Please don't shoot the messenger (me). I was only relaying what was told to me by a Publix employee. It must be true. I've got the key chain!
Old 01-21-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
This is something that I consider to be environmental friendly and not helpful to me for shopping. This is one of the reasons I quit Sams. I like and don't mind paying for the extra mile that Publix goes to make shopping a pleasure. We find it to be much better than Kings or Wegman which we had in our previous life. I don't want to supply or pay for my own bags. Count me out. There are way too many other services available now a days to get food to the house. We LOVE PUBLIX, don't screw it up!

A side issue will be the amount of Dog Problem Threads will be increased if plastic bags are decreased.
If you ever really shopped at Wegmans then you really couldn't compare them below Publix. There is no comparison.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:45 AM

Have not heard this. Several states have this policy already. Is this something Publix is doing. A key fob reminder is a neat idea. I always have bags in my golf cart and car but many times forget to carry them into store. This will force me.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
There was a greeter at Publix yesterday informing people that Publix will be phasing out plastic bags. I was told this new policy will be implemented in the next 2-3 months.

Re-usable bags are $.99 each. I received a re-usable bag key ring as a reminder to bring re-usable bags to Publix. It is cute!
Now if we can only get rid of plastic straws and pop plastic rings that hold them together.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
There was a greeter at Publix yesterday informing people that Publix will be phasing out plastic bags. I was told this new policy will be implemented in the next 2-3 months.

Re-usable bags are $.99 each. I received a re-usable bag key ring as a reminder to bring re-usable bags to Publix. It is cute!
That’s fine as long as Publix allows me to pack my own bags. I stopped using the fabric bags because the bagging persons don’t know how to pack them. Latest example: I had dropped three bags on the counter for the bagging person as i checked out and he proceeded to stuff all of the contents into one bag while I payed the bill. It was so heavy and jammed with the groceries it was ridiculous. I went back to plastic after that last episode.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by japcal View Post
If you ever really shopped at Wegmans then you really couldn't compare them below Publix. There is no comparison.
VERY NICE FIRST POST! You should fit in here just fine.

Listen Kojak I didn't mention Wegman's because I never shopped there.

Wegmans may be better than Publix if they keep using PLASTIC BAGS. It doesn't matter because we'll never have a Wegmans or Costco!
Old 01-21-2020, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzonne22 View Post
I have been using my own bags for years.
How about using the plastic bags from your newspaper to clean up after your dog? You’ll need more than one a day, of course, but I’m sure your neighbors without pets will save theirs for you.
Then those plastic bags will definitely go into the landfill. You can buy 120 biodegradable poop bags on Amazon for $4.99 and get them tomorrow if you have Amazon Prime.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
That’s fine as long as Publix allows me to pack my own bags. I stopped using the fabric bags because the bagging persons don’t know how to pack them. Latest example: I had dropped three bags on the counter for the bagging person as i checked out and he proceeded to stuff all of the contents into one bag while I payed the bill. It was so heavy and jammed with the groceries it was ridiculous. I went back to plastic after that last episode.
So just tell the person bagging not to overfill the bags or not to make them too heavy. I do that as a matter of course as they start packing them.

Tags
publix, bags, re-usable, phasing, plastic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.