Publix phasing out plastic bags

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
That’s fine as long as Publix allows me to pack my own bags. I stopped using the fabric bags because the bagging persons don’t know how to pack them. Latest example: I had dropped three bags on the counter for the bagging person as i checked out and he proceeded to stuff all of the contents into one bag while I payed the bill. It was so heavy and jammed with the groceries it was ridiculous. I went back to plastic after that last episode.

The exact thing happened to me. The next time I said, you can use all bags, not everything has to go in one bag, she said ok and still stuffed the bag.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigben007 View Post
The exact thing happened to me. The next time I said, you can use all bags, not everything has to go in one bag, she said ok and still stuffed the bag.
So bag your own!

SO many people say "why do (the curse-word filter actually filtered out the word bag..gers) do such a lousy job, it's not hard, anyone can do it" and yet - they refuse to do it.

Honestly, it's pretty easy once you learn how. There's actually some small amount of skill, observation, and intuition required to properly bag groceries.

I double dare you to do your own from now on.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
So bag your own!

SO many people say "why do (the curse-word filter actually filtered out the word bag..gers) do such a lousy job, it's not hard, anyone can do it" and yet - they refuse to do it.

Honestly, it's pretty easy once you learn how. There's actually some small amount of skill, observation, and intuition required to properly bag groceries.

I double dare you to do your own from now on.
Ridiculous. I can bag groceries better than you, I’m sure. What I can’t do when there are long lines is unload the cart, pack the bags and pay for the groceries all at once and they prefer you don’t pack your own. Yes, even when asked, they have overpacked the bags. Each to their own.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlride View Post
As a single, spur of the moment, grocer shopper, this doesn't work for me, not to mention ongoing attack on trees. I will focus on Winn-Dixie and Fresh Market going forward.
Just an idea...I keep several reusable canvas shopping bags in the back seat and trunk of my car. That may also work for you.

Last edited by Schaumburger; 01-22-2020 at 04:49 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:52 AM
Platinum member

The only way paper wins in any environmental category is in the disposal portion of its life cycle.

Last edited by Rapscallion St Croix; 01-22-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:16 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

////
Old 01-22-2020, 01:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Front end Manager at Publix on Bichara Blvd 3 PM today said listen up Jimmy Olsen. Tell Perry White Great Cesars Ghost, drop the Thread cause the Bags are staying. No formal notice from corporate cause he would be the guy who would have gotten notified. I give you my word I wrote his name down on the back of the receipt and shredded it, I think it was Larry.

It’s over kids onto something else?
This reply made me think of a question that I have been meaning to ask for some time now. Has anyone ever seen Nucky and Superman in the same room at the same time. I know I haven't. This can mean only one thing.......
Old 01-22-2020, 04:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Just an idea...I keep several reusable canvas shopping bags in the back seat and trunk of my car. That may also work for you.
I also keep one in each golf cart. We use the shopping list connected to our phones via Alexa so when I'm out and close to a Publix I check to app to see if anything has been added. Cuts down on the shopping trips.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-22-2020, 05:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
The only way paper wins in any environmental category is in the disposal portion of its life cycle.
It's not the only way. Another way is the method of acquisition. Plastic is made from oil - an unrenewable resource. You can't plant an oil deposit and let it grow from seed. Most paper is made from wood - a 100% renewable resource. You can plant a tree and cut it down when it's grown, and replace it with another sapling, over and over again, ad infinitum.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Ah yes, I heard in the last days someone very high in the federal gov’t said.....the US will be planting one trillion trees.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,921 Posts
Default The latest info from Colony Publix

I spoke to a manager today at Colony Publix about the phasing out of plastic bags. This is what was said........

I questioned why some Publix stores are not aware of the phasing out of plastic bags. I was told that Colony Publix is the busiest store in the area so they receive information before the other stores.

I was told Publix, as a company, would like to completely phase out plastic bags. However, the company will be supplying less bags to the stores and will be charging the customers for the plastic bags. The amount to be charged for the plastic bags is unknown at this time and when this will be implemented is also unknown.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I spoke to a manager today at Colony Publix about the phasing out of plastic bags. This is what was said........

I questioned why some Publix stores are not aware of the phasing out of plastic bags. I was told that Colony Publix is the busiest store in the area so they receive information before the other stores.

I was told Publix, as a company, would like to completely phase out plastic bags. However, the company will be supplying less bags to the stores and will be charging the customers for the plastic bags. The amount to be charged for the plastic bags is unknown at this time and when this will be implemented is also unknown.
This is part of a nationwide trend. It's most prevalent along the coastal states (west and east), but as has been mentioned in several posts (not just by me) - Aldi's has been doing it this way from the get-go. It doesn't matter WHY they've been doing it - the fact is, they've been doing it all along.

Big box stores do it as well, so most people should have some experience, however limited, with having to either a) bring your own bags, b) buy bags at the store, or c) take empty case boxes from the store instead of bags.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:01 PM

Use the bag your newspaper is delivered in.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carhirsch View Post
Use the bag your newspaper is delivered in.
Can't get many groceries in them!
Old 01-22-2020, 10:14 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Oh, BTW, In case my previous posts give you the wrong idea about my attitude, I'm all for recycling, saving the environment, etc. I just object to someone else mandating it and shoving it down my throat. George Orwell is mumbling in his grave "I told you so"
Thank you!

And there are items like RAW MEAT that should
be put in plastic so it doesn’t leak or contaminate anything.

Tags
publix, bags, re-usable, phasing, plastic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.