Publix phasing out plastic bags

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2020, 10:28 AM
Default plastic bags

The cloth bags fit so neatly in the trunk compared to rather sloppy plastic bags. I've been told at checkout in Walmart that they will soon be discontinuing their plastic bags too. I really miss using them for kitchen garbage bags. Am now using 100% compostable kitchen garbage bags from Amazon.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:34 AM

HOORAY!!! Publix has finally joined the effort to save the planet, our oceans, our wildlife, our environment. Hopefully, Winn-Dixie will get on board as well. I have been an advocate of "no plastic bags" for years. Yes, I take reusable bags with me when I shop. I CARE!!
Old 01-20-2020, 10:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Just read an interesting article this morning about the plastic bag issue:
Plastic bags have lobbyists. They're winning. - POLITICO

According to this, Florida is one of the states that does not allow local government passing plastic bag restrictions.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	C65D4ABD-443E-4A8C-8F0C-B0595D0C7F39.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	82633  
Old 01-20-2020, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbell View Post
The cloth bags fit so neatly in the trunk compared to rather sloppy plastic bags. I've been told at checkout in Walmart that they will soon be discontinuing their plastic bags too. I really miss using them for kitchen garbage bags. Am now using 100% compostable kitchen garbage bags from Amazon.
Unfortunately most landfills don't reach a high enough temperature to degrade compostable garbage bags, so they end up not turning to compost and take up the exact same amount of space.

Personally, I feel that disposable diapers (baby and adult) should also be discouraged, for the same reason - they don't break down in landfills and there isn't infinite room on the planet for an infinite future of plastic disposal.

At some point, all this plastic is going to have to end up SOMEWHERE - and there won't be room at the current landfills. I wonder how folks in the Villages will feel if the towns that TV is located in, all decide to allocate some of their real estate to build new landfills. Not in my back yard? Woops - not your decision to make. If you don't want a trash dump upwind of your house in the next 20 years, then encourage everyone to reduce their waste. At least then it might be 30 years, or if you're lucky, you'll be dead of old age before you ever have to care about it.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj1938 View Post
https://4ocean.com/?msclkid=cd9c4cf4...0-%204%20Ocean

You obviously don't. BTW having lived in south Florida I know that cockroaches absolutely love the glue in paper bags. Being a scuba diver it is unbelievable the amount of plastic in the ocean. Watch the 4ocean video.

"Ocean plastic" is another name for litter, i.e. it's not PLASTIC that's the problem, but the slobs who do the littering (and whole 3rd-world sh*thole countries that are slovenly in their waste disposal).
Old 01-20-2020, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

There are some among us who could pick a fight with Mother Teresa.

We all did far more years ago to be careful and saving and sparse in order to save money and that worked out well for all of us. It wrankles me when the greenies get in full cry, but what is worse is them thinking that MOST of us are NOT very aware of climate change. I just hate the marching and spending money on foolishness that in many cases will not change anything without full participation of all occupants of the world.

AND it is industrialization that is to both blame and thank for much of the pollution. The same industrialization that has halved poverty and hunger in the last thirty years.

Things are not solvable with foolish rhetoric and making other people mad and talking down to them. And some things in this day and time are just not solvable. Trying not to use one use plastic is a little bit of doing something that might help a little bit. It can't hurt.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Unfortunately most landfills don't reach a high enough temperature to degrade compostable garbage bags, so they end up not turning to compost and take up the exact same amount of space.

Personally, I feel that disposable diapers (baby and adult) should also be discouraged, for the same reason - they don't break down in landfills and there isn't infinite room on the planet for an infinite future of plastic disposal.

At some point, all this plastic is going to have to end up SOMEWHERE - and there won't be room at the current landfills. I wonder how folks in the Villages will feel if the towns that TV is located in, all decide to allocate some of their real estate to build new landfills. Not in my back yard? Woops - not your decision to make. If you don't want a trash dump upwind of your house in the next 20 years, then encourage everyone to reduce their waste. At least then it might be 30 years, or if you're lucky, you'll be dead of old age before you ever have to care about it.

Not enough room at the county dump? Ridiculous. This is another out-of-proportion scare tactic, pure and simple.

And government utility empire builders love to make a big deal out of trash --- more money, more staff, more power. And we are the idiots who fall for it.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Dent View Post
This is great news! I stopped using single use plastic bags a long time ago. I save bags from products, such as the plastic bag inside a cereal box, the plastic bag that tortillas come in, bread bags… and I use those for scooping kitty litter. I know it seems daunting, but buying plastic bags to scoop your pet’s waste defeats the purpose. Congrats to Publix for demonstrating the need to take action. 😘
I scoop my cat box every day. I don't consume enough bagged food to provide me with a bag every day to do that.

I definitely don't want to buy more plastic bags JUST to scoop the litter box. I also loathe the idea of buying plastic bags that I use JUST to put in the bathroom waste bin. I can use paper bags to scoop the litter box but again - that would be single-use, and that's much more wasteful to me than re-using something I already had. That's why I like knowing that plastic bags at the supermarket are available. I don't always get them. I keep it limited, and I saved a bunch of them when I was living up north and brought them down with me instead of throwing them away - JUST so I could re-use them for the waste bins and kitty litter.

I bring a thermal insulated bag and at least one cloth bag with me to the supermarket currently. If I buy more groceries than I can fit in those two bags, I use the plastic they provide. I get to do my part, and not waste resources by buying new for the purpose of throwing away. I also buy garbage bags that are made from recycled plastic.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
This is something that I consider to be environmental friendly and not helpful to me for shopping. This is one of the reasons I quit Sams. I like and don't mind paying for the extra mile that Publix goes to make shopping a pleasure. We find it to be much better than Kings or Wegman which we had in our previous life. I don't want to supply or pay for my own bags. Count me out. There are way too many other services available now a days to get food to the house. We LOVE PUBLIX, don't screw it up!

A side issue will be the amount of Dog Problem Threads will be increased if plastic bags are decreased.
while many consider these bags harmful, i find them very useful in daily life. now i'll just have to go buy those small plastic bags they make for wastepaper baskets.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back9 View Post
Not enough room at the county dump? Ridiculous. This is another out-of-proportion scare tactic, pure and simple.

And government utility empire builders love to make a big deal out of trash --- more money, more staff, more power. And we are the idiots who fall for it.
Denial isn't a river in Egypt.

Town landfills have closed all over the country, over the past 4 or 5 decades. The town I lived in before I moved here closed their landfill down over 20 years ago. It was full. There was no way to expand it because a river ran on one side of it and a town road ran on the other side of it. There was no equipment to make it higher. So it was closed down, allowed to weed over and compost itself. Trees started growing on it, bushes and brush and weeds. Eventually they cleared off a portion of it and installed solar panels - which now provide the energy for most of the municipal buildings in the town.

But you do you.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
while many consider these bags harmful, i find them very useful in daily life. now i'll just have to go buy those small plastic bags they make for wastepaper baskets.
Both of these things can be true. The bags are harmful. They also are useful in daily life. Therein lies the quandry. So - rather than eliminate, it's on the shoulders of the consumer to reduce as much as they can, without hardship.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There are some among us who could pick a fight with Mother Teresa.

We all did far more years ago to be careful and saving and sparse in order to save money and that worked out well for all of us. It wrankles me when the greenies get in full cry, but what is worse is them thinking that MOST of us are NOT very aware of climate change. I just hate the marching and spending money on foolishness that in many cases will not change anything without full participation of all occupants of the world.

AND it is industrialization that is to both blame and thank for much of the pollution. The same industrialization that has halved poverty and hunger in the last thirty years.

Things are not solvable with foolish rhetoric and making other people mad and talking down to them. And some things in this day and time are just not solvable. Trying not to use one use plastic is a little bit of doing something that might help a little bit. It can't hurt.

There's no problem here, except littering. Villagers have it so good, with so much time on their hands, they need something to justify their existence. When all the while their wasting their time on this non-issue, and trying to make everyone's life worse off.

"Go ahead and use your cloth shopping bags! Just don't try to impose it on the rest of us."
Old 01-20-2020, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Nah, it really isn't that bad. Also - if they're doing it the same way they did it in Connecticut, they will still have produce bags and bags for the meat department and fish department.

So if you have frozen stuff, if it's not too big a package, you can just put those things in the produce bags to keep them from getting everything wet while they're in the car.
too funny, that's exactly what this ex-Conn. did/does
Old 01-20-2020, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

Town landfills have closed all over the country, over the past 4 or 5 decades. The town I lived in before I moved here closed their landfill down over 20 years ago. It was full. There was no way to expand it because a river ran on one side of it and a town road ran on the other side of it. There was no equipment to make it higher. So it was closed down, allowed to weed over and compost itself. Trees started growing on it, bushes and brush and weeds. Eventually they cleared off a portion of it and installed solar panels - which now provide the energy for most of the municipal buildings in the town.

But you do you.
YEP...exactly!
Old 01-20-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:

But you do you.

In other words, the town fathers have made a mountain out of a mole hill. They couldn't get more land? "Imminent domain"? No... it's become fanaticism for cleanliness, and a government created problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
publix, bags, re-usable, phasing, plastic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.