Publix phasing out plastic bags

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2020, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
We were in California & everybody there charges $0.5 or $0.10 a bag, all retail stores & grocery stores!
I understand that toilet paper will be phased out and folks are being encouraged to eat corn on the cob and return the empty dried cob to a recycling center outside all grocery stores.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back9 View Post
"Ozone" -- the warmup act for the quackery of global warming.

A hideous example of government-by-news-cycle.

The Ozone Scam - YouTube

And this is very pertinent to Floridians with Air Conditioning -- the phasing out of efficient refrigerants is a monumental screwing of the AC consumer.

["Satellites DISCOVER hole in ozone layer!" Discover? How do you know it wasn't there all along? (notice that it only appears in the southern hemisphere, where topography is different from the north...) ]

BTW -- all those CAPACITORS that keep blowing on you condenser unit? That's a function of the stupid ban on PCBs. It was the best material for the purpose, till a far-fetched "cancer" issue was raised.

"Dust is carcinogenic -- henceforth you must all wear breathing apparatuses."

Last edited by Back9; 01-20-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
We were in California & everybody there charges $0.5 or $0.10 a bag, all retail stores & grocery stores!
Same in Connecticut. It's 10 cents/bag, or you can buy a re-useable one for 99 cents. Or you can bring your own bag, buy a box on Amazon (which I mentioned already). Stores like Aldi and the big box places receive their product in bulk boxes. They put the whole box right on the shelf but once it's empty, they let the customers take them instead of throwing them away. Re-use. Plus in boxes, things don't shift around as much. Even better, these boxes sometimes are waxed, for produce and other products that can get wet. So you can put your ice cream tub right in the box, and everything is hunky dory, and it doesn't cost a penny extra.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:14 PM

Wonder what happens when you go to check out and realize you forgot your bags?
Old 01-20-2020, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwtbrisbane View Post
Wonder what happens when you go to check out and realize you forgot your bags?
In stores that have implemented this (like Aldi's for example), you can buy a bag. Aldi's has a variety of bags, paper, plastic, and re-useable, ranging from 8 cents each to $2 for the re-useables.

There are thousands of stores nationwide that have been doing this for years. In fact, Publix has been promoting and selling re-useables for 20 years. And millions of customers nationwide already use them.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:39 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Oh, really

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
How's this for a protest idea:

Load up you cart, let them ring it up, and then ask what they are going to put the groceries into. If they say nothing, just walk away. If enough people do this, they'll change their tune, since it will be more expensive to them than using plastic bags.

I have no problem with Publix encouraging us to do our part.

Also, I respect the fact that Publix provides an ESOP for their workers. (Just imagine if Walmart workers were able to profit-share as an across-the-board employee benefit. — If Walmart were to have done so, not only would the benefit have been monetary, it also would have carried tremendous educational value by giving the opportunity for workers to learn about investing for the future — and in many cases, first-generation stockholders.)

Now, back to the quote above: I take issue with such a plan. Why would someone want to take things out on the frontline workers? If you don’t like it, make a picket sign and walk around in front of the store — whatever, if that happys you up. But a plan to make the workday more difficult for those just doing their jobs — from positions that are powerless — is a plan that if carried out would be condescending, elitist, and just plain wrong.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
I have no problem with publix encouraging us to do our part.

Also, I respect the fact that publix provides an esop for their workers. (just imagine if walmart workers were able to profit-share as an across-the-board employee benefit. — if walmart were to have done so, not only would the benefit have been monetary, it also would have carried tremendous educational value by giving the opportunity for workers to learn about investing for the future — and in many cases, first-generation stockholders.)

Now, back to the quote above: I take issue with such a plan. Why would someone want to take things out on the frontline workers? If you don’t like it, make a picket sign and walk around in front of the store — whatever, if that happys you up. But a plan to make the workday more difficult for those just doing their jobs — from positions that are powerless — is a plan that if carried out would be condescending, elitist, and just plain wrong.
Bingo!

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 01-20-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Maybe, but it would get the point across in a hurry. The workers are paid by the hour, so it really doesn't matter WHAT work they are doing. But the lost revenue will impact the store and hopefully the policymakers. I'm not against using cloth bags, I'm just opposed to having some entity shove them down my throat. That goes for Publix, the government, the radical left and the religious right.

PS. I've been using reusable bags for several years, but when something is wet/leaky I have them put it in plastic, same is true if I forget my bags. This isn't about what they want to do, it's about how they are going to do it.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Maybe, but it would get the point across in a hurry. The workers are paid by the hour, so it really doesn't matter WHAT work they are doing. But the lost revenue will impact the store and hopefully the policymakers. I'm not against using cloth bags, I'm just opposed to having some entity shove them down my throat. That goes for Publix, the government, the radical left and the religious right.

PS. I've been using reusable bags for several years, but when something is wet/leaky I have them put it in plastic, same is true if I forget my bags. This isn't about what they want to do, it's about how they are going to do it.
Just for an historical perspective, many used that same argument when "the government" started mandating...minimum average fuel mileage on auto manufacturers.

And restrictions on various allowances of industry land/air/water pollution (which seems to be quickly slipping away).

Were you opposed to those also?
Old 01-20-2020, 02:20 PM
Veteran member
Default plastic bags yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Actually - they donate 10 cents for each of the 3 standard reusable bags to sustainability projects in the community (such as planting trees). They contribute up to $125,000 every year through proceeds of these sales.

According to their website, they've donated $355,000 since 2016, to the Arbor Day Foundation, that plants longleaf seedlings in a couple of watershed areas.

They've also been doing this reuseable bag program for 20 years, so the notion of them promoting them and not using single-use bags is nothing new for Publix.

You can read about the bags, and the donations, here:

Reusable Bags | Publix Sustainability

and here:

Publix Reusable Bags: An Inside Look | Publix Super Market | The Publix Checkout

Lastly - considering that this second article is dated January 8, it might be that the greeter misinterpreted it and concluded erroneously that Publix was planning on doing away with single-use bags completely.

I see no news articles, and nothing on Publix website, indicating any official change in their current policy - which is to encourage and heavily promote the use and purchase of re-usable bags.
I asked a Publix (on 466) employee last week about this and they said Publix is NOT getting rid of the plastic bags. I hope this is true. I use them for my groceries and then for many other uses in my house.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Just for an historical perspective, many used that same argument when "the government" started mandating...minimum average fuel mileage on auto manufacturers.

And restrictions on various allowances of industry land/air/water pollution (which seems to be quickly slipping away).

Were you opposed to those also?
fuel mileage----absolutely opposed---none of the governments business if I want to buy a gas guzzling vehicle, I pay for the gas.

Limitation on pollution----in favor, within limits. The EPA does not need to be regulating a puddle on a ranch in Texas
Old 01-20-2020, 02:27 PM
Veteran member

My son is in his 40s now, but when he was young I used to try to bring a bag of my own to the grocery store and they would flip out and not let me do it. They said I could be bringing in bugs or whatever and it wasn't sanitary. My kids were so embarrassed that I was the weirdo that was bringing a bag when no one else was. I was also trying to pick up litter way before my time. Guess the world has finally caught up with me. I think it's a great idea. I hate all the waste and store bags are so flimsly they frequently break before you can reuse them more than once.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I understand that toilet paper will be phased out and folks are being encouraged to eat corn on the cob and return the empty dried cob to a recycling center outside all grocery stores.
Boy Howdy I hope not! Coffee filters hurt. And while I'm at it..... anyone got 2 5's for a 10?
Old 01-20-2020, 02:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
fuel mileage----absolutely opposed---none of the governments business if I want to buy a gas guzzling vehicle, I pay for the gas.

Limitation on pollution----in favor, within limits. The EPA does not need to be regulating a puddle on a ranch in Texas
I guess you are unaware then, that one of the main goals of the mileage legislation wasn't just to save you money on fuel...it was also to reduce pollution.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:47 PM

Reusable bags are he way to go. It is said (in Northern AZ) that the Navajo national flower is the Blue plastic bag stuck on tree branches. I have also seen this wherever there is a landfill, open dump or transfer station, or where there is poor trash pick-up.

Please, reuse, reduce and recycle.
Closed Thread

Tags
publix, bags, re-usable, phasing, plastic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.