Purchasing pre-owned home - advice of what to look for during inspection - how is ins

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2019, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

Folks everyone is missing the termite inspection. Be sure it has a company that has done inspection each year and had a termite bond on it. It should of been treated for subterranean termites around the foundation including airborne termites.
If it is a wood framed home i would have a termite inspection also, a block home also can have problems to if the walls inside are framed wood, not to mention roof rafter.
Just a FYI.
The spraying of the wood at construction (Green Stuff) is a joke.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:55 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Thank you for the kind words. Of course I am biased, but I would agree that the small cost of a GOOD home inspection can save you big headaches later.

Case in point. We did two Pre-sale inspections today. Both homes were about 4-5 years old....so you would think that the chance if finding an issue would be small.

Both homes were beautiful. When we walked on the roof of the first home we found that although the roof looked great, almost every shingle was NOT sealed down. It appears that the singles may be defective. Most likely they are still covered by the manufacturer. That house most likely will be getting a new roof.

The second home was vacant for months. They had a broken sprinkler head that shot copious amounts of water into the top portion of the decorative stucco. This had soaked the stucco and the OSB behind it. The OSB and 2x4's was spongy wet and black, etc. This portion of the home may most likely need to be torn off and rebuilt, costing a few thousand dollars. All because of a two dollar sprinkler head left unfixed.

Unless you walk all over the roof, crawl through the attic, own moisture meters and thermal imaging cameras, and know how to check the HVAC, Electrical, etc, etc....you are buying without really knowing what you are buying.

We inspect over 640 homes a year in The Villages, and we love what we do.

Thank you for your time. Respectfully, Frank D.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
Age of roof. It may be a 25 or 30 year roof, but some insurance doesn't like over 20 year.
I absolutely agree that you should have Frank D'Angelo or Tom Comer do your inspection. I agree with the comment above. I would add one thing - get a ladder, go up on the roof and make sure your shingles are all sealed on the bottom. To be honest Irma was a good test, but there have been a LOT of houses where some percentage were not sealed, and they blow off in a high (sub huricane) wind. Just go in different areas and make sure you can't pull up the bottoms of the shingles with your hand.
Just a suggestion from Personal experience.... long story. They missed it (not the two guys above) during the 1 year inspection, we discovered a year later. The Villages got involved with the Shingle company and got it fixed, but it took a lot of haggling. It would have been much easier if it was done during year 1 warranty.
Ed
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 03-26-2019, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

like the others said, get a pro inspection. DeAngelo does good work. But also look and check around yourself. Outlets, drains, look for foundation cracks at the base, walls and ceilings - some of the homes here do settle more than others depending on what The Villages filled in with, especially south of 466A.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Post #3 is your answer.....let a pro do it right.
Plus 1
Old 03-26-2019, 08:35 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
Folks everyone is missing the termite inspection. Be sure it has a company that has done inspection each year and had a termite bond on it. It should of been treated for subterranean termites around the foundation including airborne termites.
If it is a wood framed home i would have a termite inspection also, a block home also can have problems to if the walls inside are framed wood, not to mention roof rafter.
Just a FYI.
The spraying of the wood at construction (Green Stuff) is a joke.
Have you ever known a for a fact that someone used their termite bond in TV, that is a money grabbing joke and even more so on a block/stucco home. If everyone here paid the annual premium alone it is over $6,000,000 mostly split between Dean's, Massey, and Fertigator. I agree that you should have the inspection for peace of mind, just don't agree with paying an annual fee for subterranean termite insurance.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I would hire home inspector Frank D'Angelo and Sons.

They are very, very thorough. They are dependable and ethical and very intelligent. You can TRUST them.

Tags
ins, tapatalk, ipad, inspection, advice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.