Modifications to existing bridges and overpasses.

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2019, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Talking Modifications to existing bridges and overpasses.

To tag or not to tag...that is one question.

Design so that no one can toss anything, of size, over the sides...is another.

GO!

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 03-08-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

I'm all for fencing, and as mentioned previously there are attractive alternatives to unadorned chain link. Here are some examples:

6 Decorated Chain Link Fences | Curbly

If you do a google search on images for "chain link fence art" you can see some pretty amazing stuff. Some, tacky. Some, lacking the Villages vibe. But the fact remains - fences don't have to be ugly or boring, just because they're made out of metal wire.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 03-08-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Wasn’t this covered in great detail on this thread??
55 yr.old woman dies near golf cart bridge.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I'm all for fencing, and as mentioned previously there are attractive alternatives to unadorned chain link. Here are some examples:

6 Decorated Chain Link Fences | Curbly

If you do a google search on images for "chain link fence art" you can see some pretty amazing stuff. Some, tacky. Some, lacking the Villages vibe. But the fact remains - fences don't have to be ugly or boring, just because they're made out of metal wire.

I think any new golf cart bridges...should be tastefully enclosed/fenced.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:49 PM
Sage

Something similar to these, with maybe a little more artistic decoration...would add a lot of safety IMHO.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Old 03-08-2019, 08:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 864 Posts

Probably should be talking to the State since they approve the specs on what goes over their roads if you are that concerned.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-08-2019, 09:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

While it was very sad, why, just because one obviously sick person did herself in, should they ugly up our bridges? Can't protect everyone from themselves unless we all walk around in locked padded steel bubbles. If someone wants to off themselves they will find a way to do it. This isn't like NYC where people throw bricks at cars off a bridge. She could have just as easily thrown herself in front of a car or train or pulled a fake gun on a cop.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
While it was very sad, why, just because one obviously sick person did herself in, should they ugly up our bridges? Can't protect everyone from themselves unless we all walk around in locked padded steel bubbles. If someone wants to off themselves they will find a way to do it. This isn't like NYC where people throw bricks at cars off a bridge. She could have just as easily thrown herself in front of a car or train or pulled a fake gun on a cop.
I agree that if someone is set on killing themselves, they will find a way...usually with a gun.

To me, the issue of having a high barrier on the sides of golf cart/pedestrian/bicycle bridges...has nothing to do with stopping suicides.

It's about keeping people from throwing, or losing, anything off of those bridges...that could affect the traffic below.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Something similar to these, with maybe a little more artistic decoration...would add a lot of safety IMHO.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
Get Your Snow Blowers Ready! It's Going To Snow In The Villages Tomorrow! Maybe Hell Is Going To Freeze Over! Good Job CNM! Those are the images I had in mind but was having trouble finding them to post. Like the look or not it would stop someone who is just wasted or has ongoing problems and may do something dopey like the 55-year-old woman did. It would save the person with the problem from hurting someone innocent!

I give you a whole lot of credit. Bravo! And now I'm out on this no matter what. Done, Finito, Finished. Simple pictures like that just made me so happy. Nice way to end the day.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Get Your Snow Blowers Ready! It's Going To Snow In The Villages Tomorrow! Maybe Hell Is Going To Freeze Over! Good Job CNM! Those are the images I had in mind but was having trouble finding them to post. Like the look or not it would stop someone who is just wasted or has ongoing problems and may do something dopey like the 55-year-old woman did. It would save the person with the problem from hurting someone innocent!

I give you a whole lot of credit. Bravo! And now I'm out on this no matter what. Done, Finito, Finished. Simple pictures like that just made me so happy. Nice way to end the day.

The Villages Florida

Old 03-08-2019, 11:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

I like the top one better than the "enclosed" one that looks like a long cage.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:02 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Surely you don't think that rock throwing from bridges and the resultant damage/death doesn't occur in FL!
rocks thrown from florida bridge - Bing

Old 03-09-2019, 06:23 AM
Gold member

I’m assuming this thread is about modifying existing and new bridges in TV?
I personally, don’t believe TV’rs are rock throwers, so
why not have gates only opened by our cards on either end, and also add cameras on the bridges.
As far as preventing suicides by jumping, there have been no definitve studies
that show that bridge fences reduce jumping deaths in a given area.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
I’m assuming this thread is about modifying existing and new bridges in TV?
I personally, don’t believe TV’rs are rock throwers, so
why not have gates only opened by our cards on either end, and also add cameras on the bridges.
As far as preventing suicides by jumping, there have been no definitve studies
that show that bridge fences reduce jumping deaths in a given area.
I agree with you. Most object throwing is done by teens and young males. Our males get drunk and our females too, some of them, but can't remember any object throwing off of bridges. Or any suicides like this one either in eleven years here after avidly reading everything I can about this place from every source available.

We can't protect ourselves from every dangerous thing. I do believe in vaccination and in seat belts and in Apple Pie and the American Dream.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

I rather like The Bridges Of Madison County design.
Wont stop the suicidal, but their last look, would be more aesthetic.
Closed Thread

Tags
overpasses, popcorn, bridges, existing, modifications

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.