Purging Regret

Purging Regret

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 02-26-2019, 04:41 PM
Sage

Got rid of most of my art books in one move, lost the law text books in the next, and out went the textbooks in the last move. And the libraries would not take these old text books so that got the last of my fancy books. I just buy more. They are a lot more expensive then there were in the 1970s though.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:48 PM

My woodworking tools. Gave all to my son in NY. I was expecting to join woodworking club. Good luck with that.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2019, 04:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
My husband is going to keep all our record albums. The vinyl ones. I told him we should just get rid of them. We haven't used our stereo system since 1998, give or take a year, and I think we should get rid of that too. To someone who would actually use it and appreciate it, instead of all this equipment and milk crates full of albums sit unused and forgotten, filling up space in our pickup that could be better used for maybe an end table or bedroom furniture.
Oh no. I went through that with my DH's extensive collection of VHS Boxed Sets - The Complete John Wayne, StarWars, Twilight Zone, etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum - none of which he ever watched. I finally convinced him that they were worth nothing (who uses VHS anymore?) and we gave them away - even that was not easy since most didn't want them. And forget about selling. But I promised if he ever wanted to watch something, I'd buy it for him on DVD. He's never taken me up on my offer.

But, a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still, so we need to wisely choose our battles.

Last edited by BK001; 02-26-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdgerl View Post
My woodworking tools. Gave all to my son in NY. I was expecting to join woodworking club. Good luck with that.
Metalworking here. Had a full fabrication shop out back. I miss it big time.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:20 PM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Honestly I wish we would have gotten rid of more.
Honestly, I wish I could of kept it all.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:46 PM
Sage

If you’re social and into games, keeping card tables and folding chairs not a bad idea — if you have the storage room. Storage cabinets worth keeping. Lawn equipment if you’re masochistic enough to do your own lawn. Forget the furniture, the knickknacks, the mildly sentimental stuff. As was said, take pictures. Digitalize everything you can and leave the rest behind.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-26-2019, 05:52 PM
Veteran member

From the title I thought this thread was about an eating disorder.

My wife regrets getting rid of a lot of stuff, especially all the kitchen stuff that she NEVER used or would never have used. Oh yea, there was one pillow, her favorite. No sure how she "forgot" that. 2 years later she is still whining about it ...... but I still love her after 50 years & 9 months. That counts for something.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:53 PM

Bring the card table! It stores easy and you’ll need it for the games you are going to learn to play or the parties you will host for the neighborhood! The only other things I wished we hadn’t given away are the rakes, a shovel, and tree saw and pruner. Ended up replacing them all. Welcome to The Villages!
Old 02-26-2019, 05:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Honestly I wish we would have gotten rid of more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
You read my mind and beat me to the punch! My sentiments exactl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
Same thing here. Wish we had gotten rid of more....
After going through 3 moves with my wife’s career after I retired; we had gotten rid of a lot of stuff so other than winter stuff, we didn’t have that much to get rid of moving here.
For each of us, life is a journey. Where has your life taken you? Your entire life leads to the next step, the chance to define yourself by where you're headed, instead of where you stand. Today is the day you introduce yourself to your destiny.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:29 PM

We're getting rid of *most* of the crystal we collected throughout our marriage, including wedding gifts. They sat on shelves in a corner hutch in our condo, and then in our house (we've had two homes total in our almost-28 years of marriage). The only time we even really looked at them was once every few years when I'd open the glass doors and windex them all, and put them back dust-free and shiny again. We'll be having a couple of MASSIVE tag sales starting in April, and hopefully will get rid of most of our stuff. And hopefully get enough from the sales to buy a new bedroom furniture set. We have a couple of antiques which are coming with us but nothing for the bedroom. Except for the bed and frame, it's a SleepNumber and deflates into a small enough box it'll fit on the passenger seat of my car.

Last edited by Jazuela; 02-26-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Tags
‘left, house, behind’, table, coolers