Pushy exercise woman

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Default Pushy exercise woman

This morning I went to Chula Vista Rec Center to participate in a class. This was not my first time there. I tried to go to the back so I would not be in anyone's way. I was told that was not a good place ,then the woman preceded to put her hands on my shoulders and push me into what she considered a suitable place for me. I kept quiet not wanting to start any trouble. As soon as there was a break in the last, she immediately started running her mouth to another participant about me. I walked over and picked up my things and left. I'm not sure who died and left this woman in charge, I hope she reads this. Because I want her to know she was lucky I did not press charges against her for putting her hands on me. As far as I know I have the same rights as anyone else. I pay my fees to use the facilities just like everyone. So who ever you are count your blessings that I did not have you arrested, perhaps you should think twice before putting your hands on anyone.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Md girl View Post
This morning I went to Chula Vista Rec Center to participate in a class. This was not my first time there. I tried to go to the back so I would not be in anyone's way. I was told that was not a good place ,then the woman preceded to put her hands on my shoulders and push me into what she considered a suitable place for me. I kept quiet not wanting to start any trouble. As soon as there was a break in the last, she immediately started running her mouth to another participant about me. I walked over and picked up my things and left. I'm not sure who died and left this woman in charge, I hope she reads this. Because I want her to know she was lucky I did not press charges against her for putting her hands on me. As far as I know I have the same rights as anyone else. I pay my fees to use the facilities just like everyone. So who ever you are count your blessings that I did not have you arrested, perhaps you should think twice before putting your hands on anyone.
You should contact the Rec Dept with your concerns.

Recreation Administration
984 Old Mill Run
The Villages, FL* 32162

Phone: 352-674-1800
Old 06-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

You might want to return to attend the next class and use your phone or have a friend use her phone to take a picture of this woman so she can be identified if you do not know her name. If she becomes belligerent again perhaps you could video her behavior to be used in court or posted on social media. However, this might run afoul of TV's no photo policy about which I have heard so check it out first.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 06-08-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[

You have a very legitimate complaint. I would like to go with you and push her. ( I have never done anything even close to that in my whole life) I feel so angry on your behalf.

That was so WRONG. SO unkind. AND I have had people in an exercise class at Odell do something very similar about six years ago. I stopped going.. Who teaches these nasty woman to be so ........Ballsy???

I am so sorry this happened and I am so angry about what happened to you.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:19 PM
Sage

People can be banned from various Villages facilities. The "other site" published a story on March 13, 2016 about an individual banned from various Villages facilities arrested at Chula Vista for trespassing.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-08-2017, 03:21 PM
Platinum member
Angry Complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
You might want to return to attend the next class and use your phone or have a friend use her phone to take a picture of this woman so she can be identified if you do not know her name. If she becomes belligerent again perhaps you could video her behavior to be used in court or posted on social media. However, this might run afoul of TV's no photo policy about which I have heard so check it out first.
Complain to the Recreation Department. Posting it on TOTV doesn't get the job done.

With regard to manaboutown's suggestion, I consider "TV's no photo policy" to be an urban myth until they start posting warning signs at every TV owned property saying that photos are prohibited.

Contrary to his suggestion that you check it out first....... I wouldn't. You can't be faulted for an alleged policy that they can't show that you knew.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Complain to the Recreation Department. Posting it on TOTV doesn't get the job done.

With regard to manaboutown's suggestion, I consider "TV's no photo policy" to be an urban myth until they start posting warning signs at every TV owned property saying that photos are prohibited.

Contrary to his suggestion that you check it out first....... I wouldn't. You can't be faulted for an alleged policy that they can't show that you knew.
But what about "Ignorance of the law is no excuse"? I realize a policy is not necessarily law... your thoughts?

Old 06-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Platinum member

So you take a photo. What then? If it happens again, tell her bluntly to keep her hands to herself then immediately go to the Rec Asst. on duty and request assistance. Don't retreat and leave.

Also, keep in mind that in this aging population, there are those among us who lose their filters and need to be told without delay that their behavior is unacceptable. Please don't stop attending because of this incident. Namaste.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
So sorry that happened to you.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:14 PM
Platinum member
Default Trespass Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
But what about "Ignorance of the law is no excuse"? I realize a policy is not necessarily law... your thoughts?
Under Florida law, if a person is on private property and is violating a policy or standard of behavior, the owner or manger of the property can order the person to leave. The policy being violated must be explained.

If the person refuses, the owner or manager can call the police. When the police arrive, the offender generally is given the option to conform to the policy or to leave. If the offender refuses to conform, the police officer issues a "Trespass Warning" in writing, telling the offender to leave the property.

If the offender refuses to leave, the officer makes an arrest. The arrest is not for violating the policy, but for violating the Trespass Warning. That's why the arrest is not made when the officer first arrives. There is no offense until the Trespass Warning is served on the offender.

At the Sheriff's Office where I worked, this is how it was done. Every deputy carried blank Trespass Warnings which the deputy could execute. Other agencies may consider a verbal warning from their officers to be sufficient.

The Trespass Warning may be for a temporary period or perpetual, at the option of the owner or manager of the property.

SO..........absent being put on notice by The Villages that photography is prohibited at a particular venue, you must be warned before your are in violation of the policy.

Ignorance of the law is quite different from ignorance of the rules.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
I was told that was not a good place ,then the woman preceded to put her hands on my shoulders and push me into what she considered a suitable place for me.

As far as I know I have the same rights as anyone else.
If you don't fight for your rights, you will lose them.

That does not mean you had to beat her up. If you had just screamed loudly at her and kept on screaming, she probably would have left you alone.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Under Florida law, if a person is on private property and is violating a policy or standard of behavior, the owner or manger of the property can order the person to leave. The policy being violated must be explained.

If the person refuses, the owner or manager can call the police. When the police arrive, the offender generally is given the option to conform to the policy or to leave. If the offender refuses to conform, the police officer issues a "Trespass Warning" in writing, telling the offender to leave the property.

If the offender refuses to leave, the officer makes an arrest. The arrest is not for violating the policy, but for violating the Trespass Warning. That's why the arrest is not made when the officer first arrives. There is no offense until the Trespass Warning is served on the offender.

At the Sheriff's Office where I worked, this is how it was done. Every deputy carried blank Trespass Warnings which the deputy could execute. Other agencies may consider a verbal warning from their officers to be sufficient.

The Trespass Warning may be for a temporary period or perpetual, at the option of the owner or manager of the property.

SO..........absent being put on notice by The Villages that photography is prohibited at a particular venue, you must be warned before your are in violation of the policy.

Thanks for the education. Interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-08-2017, 04:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

OP, do you really consider this incident a physical assault where law enforcement should be summoned? Just MHO, but you may be getting advice here that's a bit over the top. I could be wrong. I often am.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thank you, Carl, for that clear and detailed explanation. That seems to me to be a well thought out and reasonable way to handle matters such as the OP experienced.

Last edited by manaboutown; 06-08-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
I feel for you because I have been there. I used to attend a class several days a week, it really got to be like "family", we would talk and laugh and then split up to our "favorite" areas to do our thing. One winter season a woman returned from wherever and literally took over the class from the back. She critiqued several of us and took it upon herself to give us private instruction, but she set her sights on me and kept bothering me until I finally gave up the classes and stopped going. It is extremely difficult to listen to your instructor along with the music playing, and then to have someone talking into your ear and telling you you are not doing it right! When I think back she did indeed grab me by the arm and pull me.

Unfortunately these people are out there and I have seen them in almost every class I have taken, they have the need to be the most important person in the room.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

Tags
hands, woman, place, putting, left

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.