Pool Filter Noise

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2015, 02:45 PM
Default Pool Filter Noise

My neighbor just had a pool installed. My problem is the filter pump is very close to my lanai. The noise from the pump makes sitting out on my lanai impossible. Has anyone else had this experience? Thanks
Old 01-18-2015, 02:53 PM
Veteran member

yes, went to compliance dept, talked to neighbor to no avail. We could hear it in our house so we installed more insulation in attic, planted bushes but didn't help. I think the only remedy would be for the neighbor to put a small concrete wall enclosure around the filter and pump. Should be included with any pool installation since the homes are so close together. Probably doesn't effect many people here( hearing loss) but the ones with normal hearing have to live with this constant din......
Old 01-18-2015, 06:07 PM
Sage

Might as well get used to it since that is one of the down sides of owning a pool. I used to have one and had to set the timer for the pump so not to run during the night .
You may want to talk to the neighbor and get them to run the pump during the day but not during the time you usually set outside.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:56 PM
Default Same Situation

My neighbor is also putting a pool in and put the pump and heater outside my bedroom window. When I found out where he planned to put it, I asked him to put it someplace else. Didn't do any good. Some people are very inconsiderate.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:01 PM
Platinum member

I am not sure if the pool companies have a choice as to where the pool equipment can be installed. Ours in next to our heat exchanger which also has a fan, and is probably noisy, too. It was already there when we bought the house

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 01-18-2015, 09:13 PM
Platinum member

This might not be the best solution, but perhaps playing background music when you are out there will help diffuse the drone.

Is the equipment out in the open? If so, (and the property allows) perhaps your neighbors would consider planting a buffer of Podocarpus hedges, or Pampas grass…. even if you were to offer to help pay for them.
It might be worth a try to suggest it to them?
Old 01-18-2015, 09:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
This might not be the best solution, but perhaps playing background music when you are out there will help diffuse the drone.
If trying to work an amicable solution with your neighbor fails, get some really good speakers and play heavy metal while the neighbors are enjoying their pool. Fight noise with noise.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,125 Times in 2,240 Posts

If you can tactfully ask your neighbor to contact the pool company about the noise. Hopefully hey will have an enclosure that can be installed around the pump to lower the noise level.

I have seen this same complaint a couple of times on ToTV, it is interesting that there are no noise level requirements.

Good luck, and hope you and your neighbor can come to a suitable understanding.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Just ask those building your pool to put the supporting equipment at the far end of the bird cage surrounding the pool. There is no requirement to have the equipment alongside the house.

Actually when the eqipment is outside the bird cage it is nearer the pool and requires less plumbing.

We had this done and have the pool, spa and waterfall equipment at 60 feet away from the house and within 20 feet of the pool, spa and waterfall!

Just ask!
Old 01-19-2015, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
If trying to work an amicable solution with your neighbor fails, get some really good speakers and play heavy metal while the neighbors are enjoying their pool. Fight noise with noise.
And in case your neighbors are head bangers try rap. Just loop Signifying Rapper by Schoolly D.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Ummm. It is not a good thing for you, and I know it is disappointing,, but it wasn't intentional and the pool which now exists needs to have a pump. They didn't do it to annoy you on purpose and probably never thought it would annoy you.

There are some things that require ......patience and ....acceptance.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Ummm. It is not a good thing for you, and I know it is disappointing,, but it wasn't intentional and the pool which now exists needs to have a pump. They didn't do it to annoy you on purpose and probably never thought it would annoy you.

There are some things that require ......patience and ....acceptance.
Ditto. The filter goes where the pool companies need to put it. Ours right next to our heat pumps outdoor units.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post
Ditto. The filter goes where the pool companies need to put it. Ours right next to our heat pumps outdoor units.
But unless you are using the heat pump to warm the pool water it does not have to be located there.

Jump shift subject matter. Almost everybody's A/C or heat pump unit is located midway along one side of the house or another. Are they not a source of just as much noise?
Old 01-19-2015, 11:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I don't believe there is any technical, safety, or building code reason the pump, heater and filter could not be placed almost anywhere. The installers like to place them as close to the utilities as possible for cost reasons, but I don't think it is a requirement. As a matter of fact, placing the heater as close to the pool as possible is probably the most efficient. I like the idea someone stated of placing the equipment on the outside of the birdcage. Maybe behind a waterfall feature that many get with their pool. Of course, with the kissing lanais, that will only inconvenience a different neighbor. But on a golf course lot, that sounds like a good neighbor friendly solution.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:59 PM
Veteran member

do they not have it on a timer?

it shouldn't have to run for more than a few hours per day.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.