Put multi modal paths on Morse Blvd

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2015, 04:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
And then you have to solve the problem of someone in a golf cart, making a left turn in front of a automobile........................
bingo! everyone seems to miss this fact.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

Lots of good points and suggestions, IMHO, I would suggest this:
1. Lower the speed limits, and work with the police for enforcement of the new lower speed limit. At a minimum, radar speed signs 24/7 for several weeks or more.
2. Actively engage the Sumter County officials to point out the differences between this section of Morse Blvd, versus several of the other similar roads, so they understand the local residents concerns.
3. Perhaps install additional signage (the developer??) indicating this is potentially a hazardous area, and to SLOW DOWN.
4. Get a suitable group of people together that well represents the affected villagers, and work with the developer and the county for a permanent solution.
I think you have an excellent start here with various options and opinions, all of which seem to be very supportive of a fix being required.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
1. Lower the speed limits, and work with the police for enforcement of the new lower speed limit. At a minimum, radar speed signs 24/7 for several weeks or more.
2. Actively engage the Sumter County officials to point out the differences between this section of Morse Blvd, versus several of the other similar roads, so they understand the local residents concerns.
3. Perhaps install additional signage (the developer??) indicating this is potentially a hazardous area, and to SLOW DOWN.
4. Get a suitable group of people together that well represents the affected villagers, and work with the developer and the county for a permanent solution.
I think you have an excellent start here with various options and opinions, all of which seem to be very supportive of a fix being required.
I live in this area and I have no desire for the speed limit to be lowered. a single accident of a golf cart turning in front of an oncoming vehicle does not make a road dangerous. armchair recommendations are not wanted or necessary, particularly from people who do not live in this area.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Aside from the southbound cart crossing near 466, how is Morse north of 466 different from other roads within TV? Bailey Trail, cart path on the street, car speed limit 30. Stillwater Trail east of Morse, cart path on the street, car speed limit 30. Odell Circle, cart path on the street, car speed limit 30. Canal Street, cart path on the street, car speed limit 30. And many others match that description. Morse north of 466, cart path on the street, car speed limit 30. All these roads have neighborhood streets entering them. All have mail stations along them. Morse even has traffic lights at the major intersections of San Marino and Rio Grande.

You can argue that there is more traffic on Morse than the others mentioned, but the risks are the same if the cart driver is not paying attention, or adhering to the rules of the road, or assumes right of way that is not his/hers.

Well said.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Do you think speed limits are obeyed elsewhere in TV?
More signs? Really, people don't read the signs when entering a roundabout. And a SLOW DOWN sign will change driver behavior?
As mentioned earlier, the developer has nothing to do with this road, it belongs to the County.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:11 PM
Sage
Quote:
Do you think speed limits are obeyed elsewhere in TV?
More signs? Really, people don't read the signs when entering a roundabout. And a SLOW DOWN sign will change driver behavior?
As mentioned earlier, the developer has nothing to do with this road, it belongs to the County.
And the county has not advertised that it is studying the road to make any improvements. When the traffic light was added at San Marino (a no-brainer), it took the county two years to study the situation, which involved a lot of car counting.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
And why is everyone in a hurry? I thought that seniors slowed up in the aging process. People in a hurry to get somewhere and then don't know what to do with themselves..amen
Man, I am so sick and tired of hearing this. "What's the rush? You're all retired."

Really? we're all sitting around with nothing to do? We're all just hanging out joy riding in our golf carts waiting to die?

First of all, what business is it of anyone's whether someone in in a hurry or not?

Don't we have doctor's appointments, tee times, clubs to go to, guests arriving?

Then, who's to say that someone being in a hurry had anything to do with this accident. It sounds to me that Mr Hughes simply made a tragic and fatal mistake. He wasn't paying attention for some reason and he turned into an oncoming vehicle.

It's always surprising to me that every time something like this happens, (and they're pretty rare occurrences in The Villages) that every one uses it as an excuse to tout their own little pet peeve. "We need cart paths, we need more signs, seat belts on golf carts, bigger directional lights, stripes painted on the ground, lower speed limits, ban all golf carts."

We need to accept the fact that as long as there are cars, there are going to be accidents. As long as there are golf carts there are going to be accidents. If cars and golf carts are allowed on the same streets, eventually, there will be accidents involving the two of them. A woman on a bicycle was hit by a car a few months ago. Should we not allow bicycles on the roads? If you want a completely vehicle accident free community, ban all vehicles. Even at that, people would twist and ankle walking or fall down and break a hip.

Vehicles, roads, signs (or lack thereof) high speed limits do not cause accidents. Accidents are caused by people being careless. Accidents are caused by people because people are imperfect. If you really want to eliminate all accidents, you'll have to eliminate people.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.

Last edited by Dr Winston O Boogie jr; 01-14-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Man, I am so sick and tired of hearing this. "What the rush? You're all retired."

Really, we're all sitting around with nothing to do. We're all just hanging out joy riding in our golf carts waiting to die.

First of all, what business is it of anyone's whether someone in in a hurry or not?

Don't we have doctor's appointments, tee times, clubs to go to, guests arriving?

Then, who's to say that someone being in a hurry had anything to do with this accident. It sounds to me that My Hughes simply made a tragic and fatal mistake. He wasn't paying attention for some reason and he turned into an oncoming vehicle.

It's always surprising to me that every time something like this happens, (and they're pretty rare occurrences in The Villages) that every one uses it as an excuse to tout their own little pet peeve. "We need cart path, we ned more signs, seat belts on golf carts, bigger directional lights, stripes painted on the ground, lower speed limits, ban all golf carts."

We need to accept the fact that as long as there are cars, there are going to be accidents. As long as there are golf carts there are going to be accidents. If cars and golf carts are allowed on the same streets, eventually, there will be accidents involving the two of them. A woman on a bicycle was hit by a car a few months ago. Should be not allow bicycles on the roads? If you want a completely vehicle accident free community, ban all vehicles. Even at that, people would twist and ankle walking or fall down and break a hip.

Vehicles, roads, signs (or lack thereof) high speed limits do not cause accidents. Accidents are cause by people being careless. Accidents are cause by people because people are imperfect. If you really want to eliminate all accidents, you'll have to eliminate people.
good post...couldn't say it any better!!!
Old 01-14-2015, 07:24 PM
Gold member

Ok I don't live up there but from what I have seen there is no room to add the paths. I don't like driving my car on Morse up there and no way would I drive a cart on Morse!
Old 01-14-2015, 07:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
good post...couldn't say it any better!!!
I agree as well.... Accidents happen because someone screwed up!
Old 01-14-2015, 09:22 PM

Really? Drivers in a rush are careless drivers. Slow down, whether you're driving a golf cart or a car. Everyone is in a rush, slow down already. you're rushing to your death!
Old 01-14-2015, 09:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Aside from the southbound cart crossing near 466, how is Morse north of 466 different from other roads within TV? Bailey Trail, cart path on the street, car speed limit 30. Stillwater Trail east of Morse, cart path on the street, car speed limit 30. Odell Circle, cart path on the street, car speed limit 30. Canal Street, cart path on the street, car speed limit 30. And many others match that description. Morse north of 466, cart path on the street, car speed limit 30. All these roads have neighborhood streets entering them. All have mail stations along them. Morse even has traffic lights at the major intersections of San Marino and Rio Grande.

You can argue that there is more traffic on Morse than the others mentioned, but the risks are the same if the cart driver is not paying attention, or adhering to the rules of the road, or assumes right of way that is not his/hers.
great post...pinelas and Hillsborough also have paths on the street
Old 01-14-2015, 09:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
And then you have to solve the problem of someone in a golf cart, making a left turn in front of a automobile........................
Bogie,

Folks try to change everything except the actions of the driver. Don't blame the highway.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:04 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanpaula View Post
Really? Drivers in a rush are careless drivers. Slow down, whether you're driving a golf cart or a car. Everyone is in a rush, slow down already. you're rushing to your death!
I had one today coming up behind me pass me as I was stopping for the stop sign at the new building by freedom point coming off El Camino. The way he's driving that cart it won't be to long before the ground hogs will be delivering his mail. I really believe people who act this way never learned to manage time or their lives for that manner.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:30 AM
Sage

The traffic on Morse will get even heavier once they start widening 466A .
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.