Putt an Play

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2018, 08:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I can’t imagine a serious golfer driving that far to practice their putting.
My wife and I often drive to Fenny to practice putting.

Putting is the weakest part of my game, so I love to practice it. I do not like the putting greens at the country clubs because they are too flat (Bonifay and Belle Glade), too steep (Havana), or simply a bad design (Evans Prarie).

Even thought we do not like the Red Fox course at Fenny, we love the putting green. It has just the right amount of speed and slope to be very interesting.

We also like the Fenny Grill and the walk around the spring. They have done a great job there.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:50 AM

It's just like minature golf but no cute obstacles in the way to shoot around or under. You just putt, around curves that have a little elevation or slope to each hole. Good putting practice for nine holes or play both courses for 18.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Apparently it is intended to discourage "main land" Villagers from using it. Official parking for cars is a1/2 mile walk down the road unless you park on nearby empty lots under development. On-site parking is only for golf carts, and so far I haven't heard of any special cart trails leading from " the main land".
I was shocked to find that out. They've built a village five miles from The Villages. We're all supposed to have equal access to all the amenities but you'd have to live in Fenney in order to use this unless you want to take a long walk to get there.

It's at least a half mile from the parking area. Then you're on your feet all the time that you're playing and then another half mile back to your car. This seems to be unfair to the rest of us Villagers.

I also have a complaint about when we go to play Red Fox and Grey Fox. When residents of Fenney come to the mainland to play golf, they are given a cart free of charge. But when those of us that live north of Rte 44 go down there to play, we have to pay for a cart. I realize that they're trying to sell houses in Fenney, but it wouldn't hurt them to be fair to the rest of us.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:56 AM
Gold member

There is a strong possibility a new Putt & Play will be included in the area purchased last year. This is behind the yellow Baptist Church on route 42. I was at meeting about this and this is one thing they are looking into. Also a beach entry type of pool like the one down in Fenney. We should learn the exact details later this year.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
It’s not golf. It’s putting, much like a miniature golf, but on real grass without the windmills and such. There are strangely shaped holes and you try and put your ball into the 6” hole in as little puts as possible. Yes, the holes are larger than regulation golf cups. In the grandchildren visiting season it will be wildly popular with the younger set that is not ready for an executive course. Right now it is popular because it is new. I’m not sure it will be bringing in cars in a year or so.
Neither my wife or I play golf. We went to Fenny with our neighbors who do play golf. All four of us were able to enjoy putting our way around the two courses.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
There are several putting greens north of 44 that a “golfer” can practice their putting and there is no cost. If you have been down to Fenney, you get the idea that it is a bit different than the rest of The Villages. I can’t imagine a serious golfer driving that far to practice their putting. Now to go there for fun, sure why not in about a year when the crowds die down and the “new” wears off.
Putting around a putting course such as this is not really practicing putting. Serious golfers would do different putting drills depending on exactly what part of putting they need work on.

That's not to say that it would be bad to go and putt around this course. It's just not really serious putting practice.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:03 AM
Veteran member

Nothing wrong with "Putt and Play", but it is a poor substitute anemnity for a real golf course (Executive or Championship). I'm sure the developers would love to substitute these small golf areas for the real thing, and put houses on the extra land. There is a big lack of golf development in the new areas, which started when going south to Brownwood. The new areas don't have the amount of executive courses available in the Lake Sumter and Spanish Springs areas.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Nothing wrong with "Putt and Play", but it is a poor substitute anemnity for a real golf course (Executive or Championship). I'm sure the developers would love to substitute these small golf areas for the real thing, and put houses on the extra land. There is a big lack of golf development in the new areas, which started when going south to Brownwood. The new areas don't have the amount of executive courses available in the Lake Sumter and Spanish Springs areas.
You really haven't been paying attention to what is going on down in CDD-12 have you? There are more courses going in in that area, three executive courses are under construction in the Desoto/McClure area, championship courses have been shown on the plans for the area north of 468 west of the turnpike and south of 468 east of the turnpike. What little they are showing is enough to keep things going without tipping their hand too much as to what is to come. It doubtful that they'll change too much from a plan that has been one of the most successful development plans in the country.

With what they are showing and how they are growing The Villages, we'll all be looking back and saying "Remember when there were only 648 holes, how did we get by with less than 1000?"
Old 03-05-2018, 01:09 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I've found if I want to work on bunker shots or flop shots over bunkers I have to go down to Sarasota which I think is the best and largest short game area in the villages.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:22 PM

I don't know if the 2 places you mention are private properties or belong to The Villages. If private, it would be up to the developers of those areas to decide to go with recreation or commercial--and it would cost to play, just like a private miniature golf area, and open to the public. One thought is to request via the Recreation Dept (John Rohan) for consideration on the church property near Mulberry. I don't think decisions have been made on that area yet.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:55 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I was shocked to find that out. They've built a village five miles from The Villages. We're all supposed to have equal access to all the amenities but you'd have to live in Fenney in order to use this unless you want to take a long walk to get there.

It's at least a half mile from the parking area. Then you're on your feet all the time that you're playing and then another half mile back to your car. This seems to be unfair to the rest of us Villagers.

I also have a complaint about when we go to play Red Fox and Grey Fox. When residents of Fenney come to the mainland to play golf, they are given a cart free of charge. But when those of us that live north of Rte 44 go down there to play, we have to pay for a cart. I realize that
they're trying to sell houses in Fenney, but it wouldn't hurt them to be fair to the rest of us.
Most of the residents of Fenney do not have golf carts and live farther away from the putt and play than the parking area so it's not unfair at all, we all have to walk at least that distance. It won't be long before the DeSoto family rec. center is open and parking there will be a little closer to the putt and play. The biggest problem I see will be for the homeowners that are very near to the course as there will constantly be people parking on their streets instead of the parking area, you can't park on Fenney Way as there are cart lanes but the side streets are public and I'm sure they will be well used. There will also soon be a pitch and putt course that I'm sure will be very popular down here. The latest word from the family is that there will be cart access across 44 by next March and that will change things significantly.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
You really haven't been paying attention to what is going on down in CDD-12 have you? There are more courses going in in that area, three executive courses are under construction in the Desoto/McClure area, championship courses have been shown on the plans for the area north of 468 west of the turnpike and south of 468 east of the turnpike. What little they are showing is enough to keep things going without tipping their hand too much as to what is to come. It doubtful that they'll change too much from a plan that has been one of the most successful development plans in the country.

With what they are showing and how they are growing The Villages, we'll all be looking back and saying "Remember when there were only 648 holes, how did we get by with less than 1000?"
If you consider the "Pitch & Putt" (re: undersized executive courses) to be equivalent, good luck. I've seen the plans you mention. Golf is becoming downsized in these areas.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuannBlue View Post
From the post I see, the putt an play in Fenney is popular. More of them need to be built in the older section of the Villages to make more access for more people. It will cut down on driving, wait times, parking issues. More is better in this case. Folks need to start pushing to get more built.
Personally I don't see that happening, that TV would build another putter course. It was partially built to entice people to buy over at Fenney. But yes, it would be nice!
Old 03-10-2018, 11:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
If you consider the "Pitch & Putt" (re: undersized executive courses) to be equivalent, good luck. I've seen the plans you mention. Golf is becoming downsized in these areas.
The developer only shows to the public what they have to to get their plans approved and keep their business moving forward. Southern Oaks is still in the early stages of development. What has been shown and platted is about 3,000 homes out of 28,000.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	094 2018-03-10.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	74351   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	093 2018-03-10.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	74352  
Old 03-10-2018, 01:39 PM
Sage

The Villages Magazine has its typical real estate insert.

The current March edition provides many details about upcoming development. Attached is the 2-pace center spread. Other pages in the insert provide greater detail about the areas shown with the brown circles.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2018-05 VOSO.pdf (1.09 MB, 128 views)
Closed Thread

Tags
putt, built, play, times, parking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.