Quantum Fiber Optic Internet Service

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You might want to give them a call. Their current offer is $30 per month for 200 megabits per second up and down. Some people have apparently received their mesh router for no additional cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbob View Post
I have quantum fiber and no issues. I have the 200mb and its been rock solid up and down 200mb+. I have 4 wifi pods. No wires anywhere in my house...everything (28 devices) is connected via wifi. I use directv streaming and it has been a great steaming service. Cost for quantum is $64/mon($49 + $15). Im also hoping they dont jump the price after 1 year. Directv is around $100/mon for the choice package. Why would you want to get your own router/wifi system? Before I moved here from California I had 4 Asus routers running fresh tomato. I used it as a split system for isolating devices that might have malicious firmware(like my chinese robot vacuum). They are still in a box and I have no plan to use them. That system worked, but took a lot of effort to update when new firmware was released. I suggest you move on with the quantum wifi mesh system and relax on your lanai with a cold one! fyi the quantum system also includes a protection system called Guard. That on top of Avast antivirus seems to snag all the bad stuff. Good luck.

Cheers
Bob
Old 03-22-2023, 08:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I am not sure what you mean by "full bandwidth". There are many available bandwidths, depending on the provider. I have 200 megabits per second up and down and that greatly exceeds my requirements. The only reason I have that level of service is that it is their lowest offering. I am retired and don't move around 50 gigabyte tar balls anymore. If I wasn't retired I would probably have 1 gigabit per second bandwidth because I used to wait, sometimes hours, for large ftp's to complete. Many people seem enamored by a bigger bandwidth number but if your biggest bandwidth user is streaming then you don't require much in the way of bandwidth. For example, 1080p Hi-Def requires about 5 megabits per second per stream. 2160p requires about 20 megabits per second per stream. Bandwidth in excess of what is required doesn't improve image quality. As I previously posted, with Quantum you don't need a "modem/router" as Quantum supplies the "modem" functionality, including the fiber optic to electrical conversion, in a box in the low-voltage panel. This box needs to be where the fiber attaches to the house (previously an ONT on the outside of the house, now a small box in the low-voltage panel) unless you care to run fiber inside the house. You only need a router. Paying extra for bandwidth you don't require is similar to putting premium gas in a car that only requires regular gas. It won't hurt you but there is no benefit and it costs you more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
you can do what the others suggest....HOWEVER read on -

I'll preface this with my IT background of 46 years. ..with that said -

Quatum is fantastic, I've never had any outage at all. I do run 1G fiber and due to that if you want full bandwdith pretty much all these other "solutions" won't get it for you. (I'll say I read 5 and said you have to be kidding...) The problem with stock solutions is output, ANY modem/router offered by any provider doesn't transmit enough/fast enough. Therefore you won't get full bandwidth at your devices.

You'll also need something that handles the fiber signal, as in converts it. some have this built in others don't. Convert at box, convert at modem. either or. However you'll also need to keep in mind that the supplied modem/router CAN be used as only a modem (bridging) Which is what I typically do these days as it's just easier. Once past the modem part the rest is straight forward.

I run Orbi units in a mesh that gives me full bandwidth on wifi. Range is very good, and also the security options. Although security is really up to you more than the device. The units are not cheap my any means, but you can do the 2 pack or 3 pack. This allows you to put the satellite units around the house which remedies signal strength issues.

All in all, I run a large amount of heavy demand devices and have never had any issue under this configuration.

Side note - don't set up QOS on any device, I see many do it and then wonder why things are slow, the minor league players of the industry can't do what the big guys do.

Last edited by tuccillo; 03-22-2023 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
I always find it a bit curious when the deals are so fluid. So, you got their mesh router for no additional cost (over the $30 per month)? I had CenturyLink fiber for 9 years and switched over to their rebranded Quantum Fiber service for a pretty good drop in price but they wanted an additional $15 per month for their mesh router. I have my own router and didn't need theirs but I find is very curious.
Yes I have 4 pods and 200M service for $30 a month. No additional taxes. Free installation. For those paying more than $30 a month, check out their website, it advertises the 200M service for $30. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember them saying the $30 a month was guaranteed for life, but I won’t swear to that.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Kudos to you for getting a better deal than some are currently getting (Quantum seems to now want an extra $15 per month for their mesh router). When I switched from CenturyLink fiber to their rebranded Quantum fiber service (they are all part of Lucent), I asked them about the one-price-for-life and they verbally said it was. However, I read their Terms and Conditions and it is not in writing. With the CenturyLink service, I had one-price-for-life but it was higher than the $30 per month with Quantum. If they raise the price above $30 per month in a few years, I will still wind up well ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerman View Post
Yes I have 4 pods and 200M service for $30 a month. No additional taxes. Free installation. For those paying more than $30 a month, check out their website, it advertises the 200M service for $30. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember them saying the $30 a month was guaranteed for life, but I won’t swear to that.

Last edited by tuccillo; 03-22-2023 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I just called and got the wrong agent on the phone. She told me every device had to be hardwired to the modem. Take it easy on me. I’m doing my best but would love to sitcan XFINITY after they murder us daily with offers that are great but offers that we can’t have. XFINITY is turning into Verizon Jr.

You’ve mentioned Modem/Router in the posts. Why would I need to hardwire anything. Even I know that’s nuts. It’s 2023 not 1923!! Help please
Old 03-22-2023, 09:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If you are talking about Quantum, then you really mean a Wi-Fi router. The Wi-FI router has to be hardwired, via a relatively short ethernet cable, to a jack in the wall that is connected via ethernet cable in your walls to the low-voltage panel, in your garage, where it will connect to a small Quantum provided box that performs "modem" functions and fiber to electrical conversion. The Quantum fiber optic cable will come through your exterior wall into your low voltage panel and plug into this small, Quantum provided box in your low-voltage panel. All of your Wi-FI enabled devices can then connect via Wi-Fi to the Wi-Fi router. I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I just called and got the wrong agent on the phone. She told me every device had to be hardwired to the modem. Take it easy on me. I’m doing my best but would love to sitcan XFINITY after they murder us daily with offers that are great but offers that we can’t have. XFINITY is turning into Verizon Jr.

You’ve mentioned Modem/Router in the posts. Why would I need to hardwire anything. Even I know that’s nuts. It’s 2023 not 1923!! Help please
Old 03-22-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Thanks for your very helpful reply. I think I will apply for the Quantum 200 Mbps with their router & pods, because they will complete the setup connection that way. Then at a later date, I will get a WIFI 6 mesh router, set it up myself & if it works keep it & return the rented equipment to Lumen & if I can't get it to work I will return the new router (& keep trying). I currently have a pretty old WIFI router using cable internet (& an extender).
So Quantum fiber will install what they call a Smart Nid when you get the service. This device installed in your white data cabinet in your garage terminates the fiber optics and Also has a built in router. There are two RJ45 ethernet jacks on the Nid. One can be hard wired to a data jack in your office if you want or to the wifi cubes that they install or both. You are not paying extra for the router built into the Nid. This is different than with the old system where they installed a fiber termination box and you needed to install an external router after that. That said, you can also buy your own WiFi system like a Netgear Orbi for example and connect that hard wired to the Nid as well. You will be what they call double "routing" but thats not a problem, it will work just fine. You can also turn off the router in the Orbi and use it as an access point if you want to get fancy.

I have this Smart Nid installed and it's hard wired to my Orbi WiFi 6E system. All you need to do is plug in the Orbi and it will set up on it's own.

The reason why Quantum Fiber is installing these Smart Nids is to simplify the system and installation process and Also if you move, the new owners just have to call Quantum Fiber and the service is turned on remotely without a truck roll in some cases.

BTW with fiber technology there is no Modem. You have a fiber termination device which is called an Optical Network Teminator. It serves the same purpose as a Modem in a traditional cable system but unlike cable you don't have to pay extra for this device. The advantage of a fiber network is you are Not sharing data capacity like you do with cable. Each customer has their own unique data path on the fiber vs sharing the data capacity on a copper cable. This is why you will always get the data speed you are paying for with Fiber vs having your service slow down during peak time with Cable. Also with Fiber since it's all light wave there are no powered data cabinets between you and Quantum Fiber like you have with cable so your service will be more reliable expecially when areas have power outages.

If you have any questions, please PM me since i have extensive experience with this service.

Last edited by jrref; 03-22-2023 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:42 AM

I have quantum fiber service, the optical cable terminates in my home in their optical modem which is included with their service. I pay $65 mo total for 1G/B service. Never had a problem in 4 years. I have a Google mesh router, 3 node giving great service all throughout my house and garage.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:05 AM

I have century link and they provided a free wi-fi router. I am paying $65.00 a month with all taxes included. Getting 980mb up and down.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:30 PM
Default I use a Netgear router

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Hi,
I am thinking about getting Quantum Fiber internet service, & I would like to purchase my own gateway/ modem router. Can anyone currently using Quantum fiber tell me about their modem router? I have been searching on Amazon but Amazon keeps splashing up pages & pages of Cable modems & my understanding is NO cable modem will work with fiber optic. Does your modem router need a phone jack? Can you tell me the make & model number?

Thanks for your help.
I’m using a Netgear router with Quantum fiber, I don’t have the mesh router. The only issue was finding out a setting for the connection, I no longer the specifics but tech support found out what I needed.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:50 PM
Default Pods- Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewbob View Post
I have quantum fiber and no issues. I have the 200mb and its been rock solid up and down 200mb+. I have 4 wifi pods. No wires anywhere in my house...everything (28 devices) is connected via wifi. I use directv streaming and it has been a great steaming service. Cost for quantum is $64/mon($49 + $15). Im also hoping they dont jump the price after 1 year. Directv is around $100/mon for the choice package. Why would you want to get your own router/wifi system? Before I moved here from California I had 4 Asus routers running fresh tomato. I used it as a split system for isolating devices that might have malicious firmware(like my chinese robot vacuum). They are still in a box and I have no plan to use them. That system worked, but took a lot of effort to update when new firmware was released. I suggest you move on with the quantum wifi mesh system and relax on your lanai with a cold one! fyi the quantum system also includes a protection system called Guard. That on top of Avast antivirus seems to snag all the bad stuff. Good luck.

Cheers
Bob
What is all this talk about Pods and weak signals? I haven't moved to TV yet. In my 2000 square foot, 2 story house in Mass. We have Spectrum- We have a modem and a router and there are no weak signals anywhere. What am I missing?
Old 03-27-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
You might want to give them a call. Their current offer is $30 per month for 200 megabits per second up and down. Some people have apparently received their mesh router for no additional cost.
I started Qutom Fiber in January for $30/month for the 200 megabits up/down including the fiber modem. I also got the 360 pods mesh system for an additional $15/month. I quickly return the 360 pods as I soon got my own 6e pods mess pods.

However months later I still being charged for the 360 pods. Support needs beter training as I called several times to correct this and one support persion stated the $15 is for the modem. I had her check this with her superior who verify I was correct and the fiber moden is included free.

Apparently Centry Link are the earlyer verson of Qutom Fiber as I asked the installers what is the difference between the two, they had Centry Link on their van. It may be the support people are the same for both companies and they get confused between the two.

BTW the 360 podes are free when you get the faster more expensive service fot $70/month.

Last edited by MikeVillages; 03-27-2023 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVillages View Post

BTW the 360 podes are free when you get the faster more expensive service fot $70/month.
As I stated earlier, I started the service a few months ago and got the 200M service with free installation and 4 free pods for $30 total a month. I don’t know why I got the pods for free, I did not haggle with them. Might be worth calling and asking them about it.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Someone please explain what pods are?
Old 03-27-2023, 10:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,961 Times in 752 Posts

Pods are basically signal repeaters to and from the wireless router
Closed Thread

Tags
modem, fiber, router, quantum, cable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.