Quarry blasting Fenney, cracked foundations?

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2018, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
You are the one who does the bashing with comments just like that. I can assure you that anyone who lives elsewhere in TV CAN move to Fenney if they want and this jealousy that is in you imagination is just that.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
You are the one who does the bashing with comments just like that. I can assure you that anyone who lives elsewhere in TV CAN move to Fenney if they want and this jealousy that is in you imagination is just that.
I don't agree.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:31 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote:
I don't agree either.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't agree.
And I agree with you!
Old 10-30-2018, 09:58 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
And I agree with you!
Reminds me of this 50's Air Force training video on the topic of missile guidance. Missile Guidance for Dummies

classic
Old 10-30-2018, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I’m so confused! Are we still allowed to move down there or what? NOTHING else to worry about so cook up a good Quarry blasting dilemma. Can’t put in a slab or sidewalk or curb without the stone to bake the cake. Stone is a sorta important ingredient in Concrete. Just Saying.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

IMO Actually quarry blasting does register on earth quake meter. Usually around 2.0 in the area? The shock wave can cause ground shake and increase collapse over time if the underground structure is weak. Now with construction above and weight of retention Pond and leaks over time ground collapse’s could happen. So, time will tell if sinkhole problems will pop up in newly construction area.

IMO about every sinkhole in the villages can be traced to retention pond leaks, water drain pipes leaks, residential drainage problem, or just weak ground structure aggregated by years of ground water leakage.

Is this something to worry about? IMO 2 out of 10 on the worry meter. I also think it has no impact on purchasing house in that area. But, if you don’t like to be close to active quarry then don’t buy close and if you do don’t complain about after the fact.

All of this in my opinion of course.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdonn View Post
I was told because of the quarry blasting in Sumpterville, that people in Fenney and nearby feel the blasts and that some foundations are cracking because of the blasts. Has anyone that lives there experienced any of this?
Three years ago you told the forum you were moving back to Cleveland.

Now you are wondering about cracked foundations in Fenney.

Are you thinking to move to Fenney?
Old 10-30-2018, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
I do not agree.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:32 PM

The concern this has morphed into in Fenney is the lack of disclosure by the developer prior to sale. Many have read about it elsewhere prior to buying, but I do not recall it being specifically disclosed to me during the sales process or the closing process. That leaves the question - "is it something the developer should have been required to disclose?", or "should it have been done as a practice of good ethics, but was not against any rules/laws not to disclose?". I'm not smart enough to know the answer and I'm lazy enough to not research it. There are enough people with their panties wadded up that it will come out in the wash one way or another. I haven't lost a minute's sleep over it and don't expect that I will.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:41 PM
Sage

. "There are enough people with their panties wadded up that it will come out in the wash one way or another."
Old 10-30-2018, 04:18 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

For what it is worth, I have now done probably 100 inspections or more in Fenney. I have not noticed any increase in the number of slab cracks, foundation issues, etc, than I have in any other part of The Villages, and I have been inspecting in The Villages for years.

Does that mean there will never be any issues?? I have no idea. I do not own a crystal ball.

As to sinkholes, they could happen anywhere. I hope of course I never have one on my property, but I do not stay awake worrying about it. I would be more worried about driving in roundabouts than I do sinkholes.......(And by the way, there are no roundabouts in Fenney).....

I have found Fenney to have a different and very nice "Vibe". It is certainly thriving. The big trees, walk, etc, are very nice. I have not gone to the Grill yet.

Many folks love having the option of gas appliances there.

I am told that the folks who first bought there are enjoying a good amount of equity in their homes already. Once the infrastructure catches up there.....once they get some stores, etc, my guess is that prices will go up even more.

I think the future of the southern part of The Villages looks bright. Southern Oaks, West Lake, etc should be amazing and close to South Leesburg, etc. A new town square, etc.....In a few years Brownwood will be the new center of The Villages.

The Villages learns, adapts and constantly improves. This is what keeps it being a one of a kind amazing place.

Frank
Old 10-30-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
The concern this has morphed into in Fenney is the lack of disclosure by the developer prior to sale. Many have read about it elsewhere prior to buying, but I do not recall it being specifically disclosed to me during the sales process or the closing process. That leaves the question - "is it something the developer should have been required to disclose?", or "should it have been done as a practice of good ethics, but was not against any rules/laws not to disclose?". I'm not smart enough to know the answer and I'm lazy enough to not research it. There are enough people with their panties wadded up that it will come out in the wash one way or another. I haven't lost a minute's sleep over it and don't expect that I will.

I’m happy for you, but I personally would be losing sleep. Let’s hear from everyone after they’ve been in their homes for more than a few years. South Florida has this exact issue and lawsuits pending. It sounds like the tremors can be felt stronger in different areas. Residents/Neighbors have run out of their homes in panic thinking it was an earthquake. Someone out there currently has structural damage. Kitchen glassware/China and wall hangings have rattled and moved during a blast. So....Just because you personally may not have experienced it, doesn’t mean it’s not true.
As far as the sinkholes are concerned....Two of The Villages three counties are on the Top 10 Sinkhole-Prone Counties in Florida. Marion & Lake. It’ll happen everywhere over time.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Many people are not accustomed to having concrete slab foundations. They crack.. it’s not a bad thing, it is just part of the natural earth movements. Can it it be a bad thing? Yes, but most cracks in the concrete are not a problem.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubagirl33 View Post
I’m happy for you, but I personally would be losing sleep. Let’s hear from everyone after they’ve been in their homes for more than a few years. South Florida has this exact issue and lawsuits pending. It sounds like the tremors can be felt stronger in different areas. Residents/Neighbors have run out of their homes in panic thinking it was an earthquake. Someone out there currently has structural damage. Kitchen glassware/China and wall hangings have rattled and moved during a blast. So....Just because you personally may not have experienced it, doesn’t mean it’s not true.
As far as the sinkholes are concerned....Two of The Villages three counties are on the Top 10 Sinkhole-Prone Counties in Florida. Marion & Lake. It’ll happen everywhere over time.
Where are you getting all of your information about what is going on “out there”?

Tags
blasting, quarry, blasts, fenney, foundations

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.