Question about Biking in TV

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Sage
Default Question about Biking in TV

I've read threads about the hazards and such of biking in TV. But I really want to ride for pleasure and exercise when I move to TV later this year. If I really try, will I be able to map out a few routes that won't be overly hazardous? I'd prefer to stay off the main roads, using lesser roads and golf carts. Is it possible?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 PM
Platinum member

Of course. There are a multitude of non-busy streets that you can ride your bicycle here.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis44 View Post
I've read threads about the hazards and such of biking in TV. But I really want to ride for pleasure and exercise when I move to TV later this year. If I really try, will I be able to map out a few routes that won't be overly hazardous? I'd prefer to stay off the main roads, using lesser roads and golf carts. Is it possible?
Don't be discouraged by some of the posts on this forum. Cycling in TV is actually pretty darned safe, and fun. Are there accidents and close calls? Of course, but the same can be said about most locales in the USA. Follow the rules of the road and use good common sense and you'll have a good time and get some exercise to boot. Here's a couple of helpful links to info about rules of the road that have particular applicability to cycling in Florida: Bike Florida.org and Florida Bicycle Association.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Sage

Great. That's what I figured. I've hung around enough forums to know you have to take a lot of information with a grain of salt. But I needed to hear it from you folks!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:14 PM

There is a web site that you can get routes that are already made from some of the cyclists that live here. "ridewithgps.com" Just do a search for The Villages and the site will supply you with maps and cue sheets. Lots of places to ride. Also there are two bike groups here. The Village Bicycle Club (thevillagebicycleclub.com) and the Sumter Landing Bicycle Club (slbikeclub.org).
Old 03-24-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
There are bicycle clubs here that have organized rides several times a week. Safety is stressed.
Cycling Enthusiasts The Villages FL - Sumter Landing Bicycle Club
The Village Bicycle Club - A resident only club in The Villages, Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.