Question About Homeless People at Walmart

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2021, 07:29 PM
Veteran member

I tell them to quit bothering us and go to California where they give away free tents, free food and free wash facilities and , it seems, a nice free spot on almost any street they wish to camp on; and they still don't have to even try to work!
Old 09-25-2021, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,511 Times in 3,104 Posts

I gave one guy my old pocket-umbrella because it was raining and he (obviously) didn't have one (or he'd have been using it). New condition, I never used umbrellas because I never stood out in the rain more than a minute or two.

A woman who I hadn't seen before had a nice message on her sign, said something like "Please smile and have a blessed day" or some other similar sentiment. I was first in line at the red light so I gave her a chit-chat, asked her if she had a cat for a pet - I would've given her one of the cans I'd just bought. She said she had a dog. After another minute of chatting while waiting for the light, I grabbed a handful of change from my car's change compartment and handed it to her. She had horrible teeth. I'd never hire someone like that as a "public face" for my company, because her front teeth were black and pitted, one was missing. Her skin was clear, her hands were clean (because even homeless people know how to use a rest room).

Homeless people have trouble getting a job because most jobs require that they have a permanent address. When you fill out an INS form, you need proof of residence. Without that, you can't get a legal job in this country.

No permanent residence = no proof of residence = no legal job - even if you had good teeth.

I don't normally ever give money. That one woman though was very personable, obviously intelligent, polite and articulate? My guess is that she was bulimic at some point in her life (long-term bulimia causes the enamel to strip off your teeth and then they turn grey, and then they start to rot). I really hope some dentist sees her some day and volunteers to give her a new smile.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:59 PM

Yes, some scam the system and yes, some have issues with drug abuse, but there are many poor insecure and legitimately hungry people roaming every street in America. Many of these folks have criminal and psychiatric histories and most have no family support, formal education nor the ability to hold down a job. For those who suggest that these folks just put down their homeless signs and walk across the street and work at McDonalds' have obviously never been in their situation. Many of these people are not hirable due to their chronic conditions that places them in an never ending circle of homelessness. Have a heart, step outside your Villages bubble and help your fellow man.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

I stay away from that Walmart. Don’t like to be demanded for charity, in any way. I believe in organization that directly help the needy and that is what I support.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

It is certainly easier to paint everyone with a single brush. I wonder how many here I ever actually been homeless... I have for almost a year.

Yes, there are crazies, and yes there are "scammers", and yes there are lazy people. But, it is easy to judge without having lived and walked in their shoes. I can assure you, the system is stacked against you if you are homeless. You know you can not get food stamps if you don't have a phone and address? Ask me how I know. You know how hard a "real" job is to get with out a phone or address?

Anyway, just curious how many here dis'ing these people trying to get some kind of work, by standing in the heat on a corner waiting for a pickup to come along and ask they if they want a couple hours work.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:20 PM
Sage

Forgive me Grumpy, we have different experiences. My mom used to do as you suggest. She’d ask the homeless youth to come to her house, half a block away, to do some work for money. She needed home help, such as rake the leaves etc. She never had a taker, not once.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,924 Times in 2,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
My opinion is they can walk over to the Car Wash with the Help Wanted sign out front.

Clap 👏. You know what the say though, money won is twice as sweet as money earned.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Forgive me Grumpy, we have different experiences. My mom used to do as you suggest. She’d ask the homeless youth to come to her house, half a block away, to do some work for money. She needed home help, such as rake the leaves etc. She never had a taker, not once.
Excuse me Velvet, where in my mini-rant did I mention ANYTHING about what anyone here should do?

I was referring to those here that talk about "the homeless".
Old 09-25-2021, 08:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Oh, and to the second part, I would not have accepted that either. I can assure you that would NOT have help me or anyone else get out be being homeless. I did it, I am here now, I know what it takes and it is NOT handouts. It is hard work at a good job. Raking leaves is NOT a good job. Sorry.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Excuse me Velvet, where in my mini-rant did I mention ANYTHING about what anyone here should do?

I was referring to those here that talk about "the homeless".
Well, I may have read something into it unjustifiably. Mother Theresa is one of my role models. Half of me is debating with my other half.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I never do as I feel the money is not for food etc. some make out well and they always have their Dunkins coffee. Unfortunately if the are truly homeless, no one will hire them without an address so they are unable to get hired.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:34 PM

Why I never give a handout unless the person is performing a Broadway musical and sings well.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
When we cross 441/27 to go to Walmart, many days there are homeless people looking
for money or a handout.

Do you donate to their cause?

What's you opinion on them being there?
Simple, if they can stand there for hours on end, which I have noted they do, they can get a job and work for a living, instead of begging.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:06 AM

These people are scammers making hundreds of dollars a day tax free. I also see this up north by shopping centers and grocery stores. They are sitting on a milk box smoking cigarettes and drinking a 7-11 beverage. They don't want bagels or burgers they want your hard earned dollars. A majority of the time it's woman who are rolling down their window and giving money. Maybe next time they will grab your hand and take your rings or bracelets. Be smart and ignore these unsightly organized scammers.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:20 AM
Sage

Live here long enough and the stories will be told. Some folks have spoken with them and they say they can make more $$$ panhandling than working. As another poster said, park some place near-by and watch them when they leave their spots. Many go over to a nice, expensive vehicle and drive away. Why is it you might see some, talking on a cell-phone. Where do they get $$$ for those?? Starting now and going til Spring the Roma folks come down and do their thing. Some drive by homes and offer to fix roofs or driveways. If they work at all, it's shoddy and then they leave. Talk to Seniors Against Crime about these people. Panhandlers often work for pimp-like people and have to make a quota each day. They might give a sob-story or their car broke down and a relative is dying and they NEED to get "there". Offer other alternatives and they'll get angry. IF you want to donate $$$$ give to a shelter for battered women, a pregnacy help center or the Salvation Army. Those panhandlers could be asking at such agencies if they truly needed help.
Closed Thread

Tags
homeless, people, walmart, question, handout

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.