Question About Homeless People at Walmart

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2021, 08:20 AM
Default Free handouts from government

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
When we cross 441/27 to go to Walmart, many days there are homeless people looking
for money or a handout.

Do you donate to their cause?

What's you opinion on them being there?
I suggest everyone who got a handout from our government recently and won’t give a handout to poor people and make excuses why are full of themselves
sadly . Who’s scamming who ? So many nice people get it and give to the needy . God knows your heart ❤️ and he also knows the non givers as well .
Old 09-26-2021, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
For 25 years, my dad volunteered as a chaplain for the Denver Police Department and was in fact the head chaplain and carried a lieutenant’s shield. He often walked along the Platte River on the path and would sit on park benches and chat with whoever was sitting there. Often that was a homeless person, and often he asked the question asked by the original poster. The answer was similar to yours. He several times parked his personal car near where a “homeless” person was begging, then followed the person to his or her car and followed the person home or watched the “homeless” person get picked up by a car full of similar people and driven home, just so he would know for sure.

The “homeless” people my dad talked to generally said something like “If you want to give a liar money for drinks or drugs, go ahead. If you want to help, donate to homeless shelters. Some of these people are real homeless people in need, but most of those are already cared for by the city or county and will be back on their feet again soon.”

I don’t know if this is true or not. There’s a long history of restless men (nearly always men) who for various reasons have to keep moving and ride the rails or whatever. During the 1920s and especially the 1930s, there were thousands who were honestly seeking a days hard work in exchange for a bed and a couple meals or a place as a hired man on a farm. These days, if you don’t want to work, it’s easier to survive in the cities.

I would favor renting land for homeless camps on American Indian reservations, setting up hundreds of nice 9x12’ cabins at each site, and group showers, restrooms, and mess halls, then paying the Indians to guard them and keep them safe. And there. Then make services available only there and forbid panhandling and vagrancy in cities. This would be much cheaper and more efficient and kinder than the current situation. Certainly much cheaper than jail time.
Your dad sounds like a wise person who thought out how to approach this problem. Some churches teach that you should not encourage this behavior. They have organizations devoted to helping such people.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:25 AM
Default Beggers

I have seen the tall thin woman pull an IPhone out of her pocket and use it. Wonder how she pays for that. If she is homeless like her sign says, I don't think she would be able to purchase a phone with out and address.
They should not be allowed to be on that little curbing by
Sonic, you know if they fell off and got hit, the driver would be sued.
They need to get out and get a job
Old 09-26-2021, 08:25 AM

My philosophy is "don't feed the bears" 🤣. I know some are struggling but there's a LOT of work to be had. You can get up to $20/hr PLUS BENEFITS for working a drive thru window.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:27 AM
Default Absolutely Not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
When we cross 441/27 to go to Walmart, many days there are homeless people looking
for money or a handout.

Do you donate to their cause?

What's you opinion on them being there?
We have the same issue in Milwaukee. It only promotes their bad behavior. Drugs, Booze, or being a scammer. Donate to a homeless shelter instead. A church that has an outreach program. Hand out the name of the shelter, they can get a hot meal, a bed, and cleaned up. You'd do more good by helping them with that.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:41 AM

The homeless is now a for profit organization. During the shifts the handlers collect the money. At the end of the shift the scammer gets his %. I do not understand why The Villages would allow a for profit organization beg in their community. Sad to hear this
Old 09-26-2021, 08:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwood4d View Post
My philosophy is "don't feed the bears" 🤣. I know some are struggling but there's a LOT of work to be had. You can get up to $20/hr PLUS BENEFITS for working a drive thru window.
Have you ever done it? Live homelessly and worked one of those jobs? Just asking.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

All these ideas of setting up tent cities, etc. are wonderful. You are forgetting the key element: They have to agree to certain rules (no drugs/alcohol/fighting/etc.) and MANY do not want to do so. That's why many prefer to be on the street than the rescue mission.

Don't want homeless around? They are like pigeons. Ever see a skinny pigeon? Don't feed them and they will go somewhere else where they can get food. They will not die, or suffer needlessly, or be very inconvenienced. They will simply pick up and go somewhere else.

Don't feed the pigeons.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

I see to many standing on corners using cell phones, where do they get money to pay this kind of luxury, but they still look pretty bad or you’ll see a young boy or girl in their 20’s holding signs that say “Will work for Food”, the word work hits a touchy spot with me. Minimum wages are $15. an hr. & I’m seeing a lot of store window signs that say, “Now Hiring”. Then they stand on street corners asking for work or want money. Really! If anybody wants to see how homeless lives go to Houston, TX. San Antonio, TX. is the worst. In TV is a bad example of homeless people, I’m sure some are pretty bad off but others are making it tough for the real homeless!
Old 09-26-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
All these ideas of setting up tent cities, etc. are wonderful. You are forgetting the key element: They have to agree to certain rules (no drugs/alcohol/fighting/etc.) and MANY do not want to do so. That's why many prefer to be on the street than the rescue mission.

Don't want homeless around? They are like pigeons. Ever see a skinny pigeon? Don't feed them and they will go somewhere else where they can get food. They will not die, or suffer needlessly, or be very inconvenienced. They will simply pick up and go somewhere else.

Don't feed the pigeons.
The problem with this approach, as I see it, is that you have just pushed the problem from you and your area to someone/somewhere else. Nothing changed, nothing solved. I know that in California, when RR killed off the state's mental health support system, the homeless problem exploded. And, of course, no money was saved, which was the original goal. It just moved to increased law enforcement. We see well that has worked.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbo8@att.net View Post
The homeless is now a for profit organization. During the shifts the handlers collect the money. At the end of the shift the scammer gets his %. I do not understand why The Villages would allow a for profit organization beg in their community. Sad to hear this
Why The Villages! That’s a public street not owned by TV.

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 09-26-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

There is also more homelessness in the warmer climates which is a 12 month problem in Florida.
Similar to demonstrators up north in the winter.
Ever notice when the temps are in the teens and windy, their all stay home.

Also, I see these people standing out there for hours that proofs only one thing, "Time is Money".
Old 09-26-2021, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Well, I may have read something into it unjustifiably. Mother Theresa is one of my role models. Half of me is debating with my other half.
Mother Theresa never debated with herself on whether or not she should help people who needed help. She just did it.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:38 AM
Location: Newburgh NY, Berwick PA, Grand Forks ND, Tampa Fl, Wenatchee Wash, TN, OK, TX, NC, OH, FL

30 years ago, I was visiting a pastor friend who lived very close to 275 and mlk blvd in Tampa. While on the preachers porch he said “look over there” a one legged man was sitting on a blanket asking for help at the light on the exit ramp. Of course the scene was pitiful. My friend said look up under the over pass, where 275 goes over mlk. A bicycle was just under 275. He told me the man was very nice and he makes a great living of $90,000 a year doing this and through the day he receives more food then he can eat. The man was not on dope or had any substance abuse but this was his gig that supplied his family with a great life. Nice home and car. At 6 pm the one leg man (he camouflaged himself with the blanket to appear to have one leg) he would get up and walked up underneath the overpass and get his bike to ride home. I couldn’t believe it but was true. Today in many towns and cities when these homeless move in crime, drug use, and criminal activity increases. The only way to stop this in our streets is to quit giving to them. Give to the street missions to help them help the people in need after you learn how they spend and what they are doing for the community. (Just a suggestion). I understand in some places the homeless will fight each other over the best areas to do their begging. Most of these people are not wonderful people. They are killing them selves with substance abuse. Which we the givers are helping them kill their selves. Yes I did go through drive thru’s and attempt to give meals but surprisingly they refused and snarled at me. Not all but too many. Some areas they are sent out by a leader to cover areas of a town, possibly begging on percentage. Many can work but why should they, if they support their habits with your money! If they don’t get cash, they flee to another town! This problem will get worse and worse
Old 09-26-2021, 09:43 AM

Absolutely not. With all the short staffed businesses they can definitely get a job.
Closed Thread

Tags
homeless, people, walmart, question, handout

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.