Question about postal box number assignment?

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2015, 09:56 AM
Default Question about postal box number assignment?

Hi! We are going to be moving down to the Villages, and when we were there a couple of weeks ago, we saw where our mailbox will be in our neighborhood, but wondered how you get your postal box number?

We noticed the boxes had numbers on them; do they correlate to your address or some other significance?

Thanks for any insight........
Old 03-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Platinum member

You will get your key's at closing.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Sage
Default Question about postal box number assignment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinds8451 View Post
Hi! We are going to be moving down to the Villages, and when we were there a couple of weeks ago, we saw where our mailbox will be in our neighborhood, but wondered how you get your postal box number?

We noticed the boxes had numbers on them; do they correlate to your address or some other significance?

The boxes are numbered in arithmetic order and do not correlate with house numbers.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:15 AM

You don't use your mailbox number in your address. Just use use the residential address. The PO has it cross referenced to your box number.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
You will get your key's at closing.
Your mailbox key - given to you at closing - will have the mailbox number on it. There is a one-time fee of $100 for the key.

Chances are that if you are a tall person, the box will be on the bottom row while the shortest people get the highest boxes!
Old 03-06-2015, 10:26 AM
Veteran member

I don't remember paying $100????????
Old 03-06-2015, 10:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
Neither do I.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:10 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
I also don't....but, that doesn't mean I didn't..
Old 03-06-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Your mailbox key - given to you at closing - will have the mailbox number on it. There is a one-time fee of $100 for the key.
At our closing in Febuary 2014 we paid $190 for the mail box key and $130 for the gate keys. On a yearly basis the VCDD is making a lot of money.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 03-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
At our closing in Febuary 2014 we paid $190 for the mail box key and $130 for the gate keys. On a yearly basis the VCDD is making a lot of money.
What a difference 2 years makes. We were just told the replacement costs I believe.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post

Chances are that if you are a tall person, the box will be on the bottom row while the shortest people get the highest boxes!
My mailbox key does not have the box number on it, in fact it has no numbers.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,105 Times in 2,233 Posts

At closing you will get a small brown envelope with 3 keys (as I recall). The envelope will have your BOX number, the keys will have an entirely DIFFERENT number on them, this is so that if the key is lost, the finder will not have access to your mail, but the post office can trace the key back to you.
Hope this helps.
PS I think all of the mentioned costs were ONE TIME costs and not yearly.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Thanks for the info I will add those costs to my estimate for closing next week how much outside of the purchase price is a total mystery I asked for a ballpark but was told it was unavailable. I don't know if it was an additional $1,000 or $10,000. Realtor said that with the credits for taxes etc from the sellers side it might be about $1000 but I have never in nine houses had closing costs that low.

The villages closing lawyers are swamped and as I am not getting a mortgage I have been put at the bottom of the list, as those getting loans require Hud statements by law, they can't get me any figures until the day before the closing.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinds8451 View Post

First of all, welcome to TV! As to your question, here's how you get your postal box assignment: The person closing your home purchase measures your height at closing, then cross-references that figure with available boxes. If you are of above-average height, you are assigned a box as close to the bottom row as possible. If you are short in stature, you will find your box in the top row, or as close thereto as possible. Simple algorithm, used universally in similar situations.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
Thanks for the info I will add those costs to my estimate for closing next week how much outside of the purchase price is a total mystery I asked for a ballpark but was told it was unavailable. I don't know if it was an additional $1,000 or $10,000. Realtor said that with the credits for taxes etc from the sellers side it might be about $1000 but I have never in nine houses had closing costs that low.

The villages closing lawyers are swamped and as I am not getting a mortgage I have been put at the bottom of the list, as those getting loans require Hud statements by law, they can't get me any figures until the day before the closing.
Our closing costs were much less than I anticipated. Where we were from we always paid property taxes in advance so that was a large portion of the closing. Here, the explained at closing, some taxes are paid in advance and some are paid in arrears. We also did not have a mortgage and found out the settlement costs the day before closing.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.