Question about Sumter County Tourism Tax

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2020, 07:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
One recently elected commissioner did state he wanted to use the square entertainment portion of the tax for other things (he wanted The Developer to pay for entertainment). But I think he got a lot of feedback and reversed his position. I give him credit for that.

Personally, I think it would be "short-sighted" for the new commissioners to repeal the tax. Let's remember... the EMS team ran on a "roll back the 25% tax increase" platform. If they roll back the tax increase and also repeal the County Tourist Development Tax, they have a lot less money to do things that will benefit the residents of Sumter County.
Exactly. The Newly elected commishioners are so "anti-developer" that they want to end anything that they see tht benifits the developer. Even if the residents are benefit. They need to be watched.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:52 PM

Home owners who rent out their properties pay as well.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Exactly. The Newly elected commishioners are so "anti-developer" that they want to end anything that they see tht benifits the developer. Even if the residents are benefit. They need to be watched.
Except, it wasn't the "newly elected commissioners" who ended the funding for the square entertainment. Those commissioners aren't commissioners yet. They still have to take their oath of office. The current commissioners are the same ones you've had for years. The CURRENT commissioners are the ones who ended the funding.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:02 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Except, it wasn't the "newly elected commissioners" who ended the funding for the square entertainment. Those commissioners aren't commissioners yet. They still have to take their oath of office. The current commissioners are the same ones you've had for years. The CURRENT commissioners are the ones who ended the funding.
I agree. Why would the current commissioners do it? To "stick it" to the new commissioners?
I believe square entertainment is paid for through 2021. But when that ends and the new commissioners are in place, what happens? The new commissioners saying "we didn't end the tax... the old commissioners did" isn't going to sit well with Villagers. All Villagers know is... "I had entertainment before... I don't have it now."
Old 10-21-2020, 10:20 PM

Ttt
Closed Thread

Tags
tax, sumter, county, entertainment, commissioners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.