Dove Hatchlings On My Front Door.

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion
Default Dove Hatchlings On My Front Door.

I have doves nesting in the wreath on my front door and the baby's have hatched and are adorable. We've roped off the front path to give them privacy and to prevent harm coming to the hatchlings.

I was able to take these photos when the parents switched duties this morning and the mother and hatchlings just froze as I got close with my camera. After I got my pics the famished hatchlings were fed by Mommy; both of them with their beaks in Mommy's at the same time.

The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida
Old 04-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
I have doves nesting in the wreath on my front door and the baby's have hatched and are adorable. We've roped off the front path to give them privacy and to prevent harm coming to the hatchlings.

I was able to take these photos when the parents switched duties this morning and the mother and hatchlings just froze as I got close with my camera. After I got my pics the famished hatchlings were fed by Mommy; both of them with their beaks in Mommy's at the same time.

The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida
Thanks for the pictures Richie, they are great!

Those Doves are pretty smart, why build a nest when you have a wreath at home.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Doves are amazing birds. Thank you for the beautiful pictures and for protecting the little ones.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
Doves are amazing birds. Thank you for the beautiful pictures and for protecting the little ones.
I understand the doves will keep coming back to a successful nesting site, so I guess I'll have to remove the usual wreath from my door after the family has gone. I don't think I want to lose the use of my front door regularly (also, what the birds drop on my door mat is not pretty)
Old 04-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Cool Doves do return

Richie,

Doves do in fact return every year. I had a dove build a nest in my wreath one year and after the birds were hatched and left the nest, my front door was a complete mess. I had to repaint it because of the staining.

I removed the wreath and the year after the dove returned only to build her nest in my hanging plant. By the time I noticed, there were already little eggs in the nest and I didn't have the heart to take it down. My plant unfortunately wasn't so lucky, it didn't survive.

This year, I don't have a wreath and have not put any plants in the hanger, not yet anyway.

I see you have a window in your door - you may not get the staining.

They certainly are cute to watch grow. Good luck.

Visited The Villages in Oct., '09
Working on making it permanent.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Sage

Really nice pictures. Almost looks like they are decorative and part of the basket. Not sure about next year, maybe a hawk statue by the front door?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Platinum member

Doves....a wonderful sign of peace.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by In awe of TV View Post
Richie,

Doves do in fact return every year. I had a dove build a nest in my wreath one year and after the birds were hatched and left the nest, my front door was a complete mess. I had to repaint it because of the staining.

I removed the wreath and the year after the dove returned only to build her nest in my hanging plant. By the time I noticed, there were already little eggs in the nest and I didn't have the heart to take it down. My plant unfortunately wasn't so lucky, it didn't survive.

This year, I don't have a wreath and have not put any plants in the hanger, not yet anyway.

I see you have a window in your door - you may not get the staining.

They certainly are cute to watch grow. Good luck.
So far the door looks fine. The best part of the window is I get to watch the daily goings on. It's textured glass, but I get a decent view. Not so good for pictures, though.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Just place a stand with an open nesting area or hang the wreath somewhere near the door and they will build there next year. If you move it 8 to 10 feet away and provide some protection from the rain, you will have them return every year. Great pictures.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Veteran member

Great pictures, Richie.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:19 PM

Wow, I've been looking for doves in all the wrong places!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Of all the threads you have started, RichieLion, this is my favorite. Thanks for taking such beautiful photos and sharing with us!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Sage

GeorgeT, that was too funny.

Richie, those photos could win a contest. Beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen baby doves. Aww, you and Mrs. RichieLion are too nice. I don't know many people who would go to the extremes you did to protect those babies. Perfect photos for Passover and Easter. Peace.

Happy Easter my friend.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Sage

Thanks Halle, Duffysmom, AJ, Dale, 12ride, Bugs, K9 and BK. I'm really getting a kick out of watching the progression of these little guys lives.

If the parents give me another good chance I will take and post more photos as the hatchlings get bigger.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
Thanks Halle, Duffysmom, AJ, Dale, 12ride, Bugs, K9 and BK. I'm really getting a kick out of watching the progression of these little guys lives.

If the parents give me another good chance I will take and post more photos as the hatchlings get bigger.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.