Question for Bicycle Riders Re: Roundabouts

Question for Bicycle Riders Re: Roundabouts

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 12:40 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Bicycles are considered vehicles under Florida law and have the same rights and obligations as motor vehicles.
I understand that this is law but it does seem sort of ridiculous to me that a bicycle is considered a vehicle and a golf cart is not.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Bicycles are considered vehicles under Florida law and have the same rights and obligations as motor vehicles.
.....and like a majority of riders, they also consider themselves above the law, and ride acordingly, especialy when they are in packs.
....and don't get me started about the dingbats who ride those lay on your back things on wheels!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2019, 01:16 PM
Veteran member

Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

They ride in packs and own the roads and don’t know how to use roundabouts. Hit them and u r in the wrong
Old 05-13-2019, 02:26 PM
Gold member

Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio

Quote:
Then they should have to carry a photo bicycle license after passing a test, registration with plates, and carry liability insurance. I've never seen a cop with a bike rider pulled over for infractions and they happen all day long.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Then they should have to carry a photo bicycle license after passing a test, registration with plates, and carry liability insurance...
Regardless of what you say "should" be the case, bicycles are considered vehicles by Florida law, with the same rights and responsibilities as motor vehicles...as I said before. Just check for yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
...I've never seen a cop with a bike rider pulled over for infractions and they happen all day long.
And as we all know, automobile drivers never, ever violate the letter of the law even to the slightest degree. And on those rare occasions when they do, they get pulled over every single time!

Last edited by Polar Bear; 05-13-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I don’t understand why anyone would use bicycle as transportation anywhere in TV. It is super dangerous in most places...I am really considering whether to bring my bicycle to TV at all.
IMHO, you are very, very wrong. With a few rules to ride by, you can ride your bike safely in TV. Of there are no guarantees with any form of transportation. But bicycling can be done safely in TV.

I won't go into detail here, but if you're interested in hearing those few rules, let me know. I'd be glad to share them with you. It would be a shame for you to not ride in TV based upon the assumptions you have made.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I didn't even realize bicycles were allowed on the roundabouts. I thought they had to use the MMPs or cross at the pedestrian crosswalks.
Bicycles have the same rights to streets (except interstates) as cars do. It has always been that way in every state we've lived in. They are also obligated to follow the traffic laws.

Polar Bear, I am not a cyclist, but I would not suggest squeezing beside the gate. The gate comes down so that a cart is given access to pass in front of the gate. I would think that if a cyclist squeezed past a gate, s/he might run smack-dab into a cart that's crossing in front of the gate, and injury could occur.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:53 PM
Sage

Back to the original question...

Thanks for the replies. One followup...if you choose what I've listed as option 3, of course it should be done at the very minimum speed and with maximum alertness for conflicting traffic. As one reply stated, I don't do it if there is lots of traffic, I just use the guest gate. But even when I do use #3, I'm going slow enough to stop before any unforeseen cross-traffic is a problem.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I understand that this is law but it does seem sort of ridiculous to me that a bicycle is considered a vehicle and a golf cart is not.
Bicycles have been around since before cars. They were here first, so to speak.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I am really considering whether to bring my bicycle to TV at all.
The Villages south of route 44 (sometimes referred to as the "Fenney Area") have some great bike/pedestrian trails that do not allow golf carts.

Last edited by VApeople; 05-13-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
gate, end, riders, typically, question