Question for Bicycle Riders Re: Roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2019, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I don’t understand why anyone would use bicycle as transportation anywhere in TV. It is super dangerous in most places...I am really considering whether to bring my bicycle to TV at all.
IMHO, you are very, very wrong. With a few rules to ride by, you can ride your bike safely in TV. Of there are no guarantees with any form of transportation. But bicycling can be done safely in TV.

I won't go into detail here, but if you're interested in hearing those few rules, let me know. I'd be glad to share them with you. It would be a shame for you to not ride in TV based upon the assumptions you have made.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I didn't even realize bicycles were allowed on the roundabouts. I thought they had to use the MMPs or cross at the pedestrian crosswalks.
Bicycles have the same rights to streets (except interstates) as cars do. It has always been that way in every state we've lived in. They are also obligated to follow the traffic laws.

Polar Bear, I am not a cyclist, but I would not suggest squeezing beside the gate. The gate comes down so that a cart is given access to pass in front of the gate. I would think that if a cyclist squeezed past a gate, s/he might run smack-dab into a cart that's crossing in front of the gate, and injury could occur.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:53 PM
Sage

Back to the original question...

Thanks for the replies. One followup...if you choose what I've listed as option 3, of course it should be done at the very minimum speed and with maximum alertness for conflicting traffic. As one reply stated, I don't do it if there is lots of traffic, I just use the guest gate. But even when I do use #3, I'm going slow enough to stop before any unforeseen cross-traffic is a problem.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I understand that this is law but it does seem sort of ridiculous to me that a bicycle is considered a vehicle and a golf cart is not.
Bicycles have been around since before cars. They were here first, so to speak.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I am really considering whether to bring my bicycle to TV at all.
The Villages south of route 44 (sometimes referred to as the "Fenney Area") have some great bike/pedestrian trails that do not allow golf carts.

Last edited by VApeople; 05-13-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Regardless of what you say "should" be the case, bicycles are considered vehicles by Florida law, with the same rights and responsibilities as motor vehicles...as I said before. Just check for yourself.

And as we all know, automobile drivers never, ever violate the letter of the law even to the slightest degree. And on those rare occasions when they do, they get pulled over every single time!

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 05-14-2019, 07:36 AM
Veteran member

Definitely, those stupid recumbent bikes should be forbidden on any roads. I almost ran a guy over on the circle. As I rounder the curve he was right in front of me. I did not see him until I was practically on top of him. Guess who would have been at fault? Thank God I go slow on the circles.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts
Default The voice of experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
Definitely, those stupid recumbent bikes should be forbidden on any roads. I almost ran a guy over on the circle. As I rounder the curve he was right in front of me. I did not see him until I was practically on top of him. Guess who would have been at fault? Thank God I go slow on the circles.
I drive a car, own a golf cart and ride a bike.

Some people, do not seem to see a bicycle at all they are looking for cars, golf carts and walkers. Some people choose to BULLY others. Some people try to be nice and stop in the middle of the road to let a bike go. ALL ARE WRONG AND ALL EXIST. WHEN YOU ARE ON A BIKE OR DRIVING, OR WALKING WE NEED TO DEAL WITH ALL OF THEM-THINGS ARE NEVER, NOR WILL THEY EVER BE PERFECT. On a bike, I expect people to do what they are supposed to do. I've had people stop a car in the middle of the street to let my bike go. A NICE ACT BUT DANGEROUS. Particularly from a stop, it takes more time than you might think for a bike to get up to speed. The car behind you may choose to simply drive around you. They may not see or care about the bike.

Those three wheeled bicycles are according to me even worse in all the above mentioned bicycle issues. Mentally less likely to be seen and recognized. Being low adds to the issue. They also take up more road room.

As you read these threads, there should be no question there is no shortage of inattentive people-MOST POLITE TERM I CAN FIND. As stated I ride a bike, drive a golf cart and drive a car.
I have never ridden my bike through a roundabout, they are dangerous enough in a car. Roundabouts for golf carts only are exactly the same issues as the ones for cars. People either don't know or don't care what the rules are.

On a bike, use your brain. If you get hit, by a car, a golf cart or even a pedestrian who is at fault will not prevent you from being hurt, possibly severely or even killed. For peat sakes wear bright clothes, wear a helmet have and use lights try to avoid riding early morning or early evening when the sun is in peoples eyes.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Great tips and comments from DAVES. I'll add: I worked at Amazon in a sortation building for a season. They gave me a day-glo orange with reflective white striping vest. Very cheap quality mesh with velcro fasteners. I took it with me to Florida to use whenever I'm on my bike (day or evening) or walking in the neighborhood at night.

DAVES: if you don't use the roundabout, how do you get from one side to the other? Do you use the MMP with golf cart tunnels? Or do you use the pedestrian sidewalks? If you use the pedestrian sidewalks do you walk it across, or ride it?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts
Default In reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Great tips and comments from DAVES. I'll add: I worked at Amazon in a sortation building for a season. They gave me a day-glo orange with reflective white striping vest. Very cheap quality mesh with velcro fasteners. I took it with me to Florida to use whenever I'm on my bike (day or evening) or walking in the neighborhood at night.

DAVES: if you don't use the roundabout, how do you get from one side to the other? Do you use the MMP with golf cart tunnels? Or do you use the pedestrian sidewalks? If you use the pedestrian sidewalks do you walk it across, or ride it?
As stated, we have a car and a golf cart. On a bike, yes, I have walked it across. Probably not legal as there is no cross walk.
Where I am thinking, riding across, you would need to hop the curb and ride across the grass. Hoping the curb is not good for your bike and riding on the grass is not good for the grass. I walk it so that I do not need to do either.

I have a unique view for most things I do my best to do what I think is right. I do my best to respect the rights of others.
I am certain not everyone thinks that of me. In the end it is impossible to please everyone.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
So was the 🐎
Old 05-14-2019, 02:10 PM
Sage

I don’t why people complain when mob of bikes go through gates or stops signs. Do you really want to wait for alternating bike car bike car? I sure don’t let them go and be done.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
IMO the out for Morgan and Morgan paid day
Old 05-14-2019, 02:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
So was the 🐎
Which brings up the question, with Chathem Acres attached to the MMP, are their horses allowed on the MMP?
Old 05-14-2019, 02:25 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
So what is your point?

Tags
gate, end, riders, typically, question

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.