Question for dog owners

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2019, 01:40 PM
Default Question for dog owners

I am planning my first visit to TV in June to spend a few weeks. I have looked at all the available types of homes available and the patio homes fit my liking. Unlike my current home, there is not a fenced backed yard for my dog to roam freely during the daytime. He loves to take his daily naps in the Texas sunshine. For the pet owners - did any of you choose the courtyard villas specifically because there is a fenced area? Is it worth the extra money? If you don't have a fence - how did your daily routine change regarding walks, potty breaks, dog park visits, etc? Right now this is not my routine. I know it will be an adjustment having to him always on a leash - just would like your feedback.
Marcy from Texas
Old 03-06-2019, 01:45 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLID2470 View Post
I am planning my first visit to TV in June to spend a few weeks. I have looked at all the available types of homes available and the patio homes fit my liking. Unlike my current home, there is not a fenced backed yard for my dog to roam freely during the daytime. He loves to take his daily naps in the Texas sunshine. For the pet owners - did any of you choose the courtyard villas specifically because there is a fenced area? Is it worth the extra money? If you don't have a fence - how did your daily routine change regarding walks, potty breaks, dog park visits, etc? Right now this is not my routine. I know it will be an adjustment having to him always on a leash - just would like your feedback.
Marcy from Texas
We chose a CYV for our dogs and have not regretted it.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

We moved here from NJ living on 2 acres with a half acre fenced for the dogs. We thought a court yard was the way to go. Rented the largest courtyard on a corner lot for 3 months. Very happy we rented. Found out I was totally claustrophobic in the villa. Every time I sat outside or looked out a window I saw a wall. We went with a designer on a large lot. Put in a pool and a large bird cage. They are out in the bird cage and safe from birds of prey. They are only out there when one of us is outside. They are walked at least 3 times a day and our young one goes to the dog park every day. We have a 5 month Havanese puppy that needs to run every day.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:00 PM

We chose a CYV specifically for our dog...spoiled! Also, the CYV gives us a great deal of privacy and cuts down on neighborhood noise.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:29 PM

I’d recommend you also take a look at the veranda series designer homes. They are surrounded by a wall on three sides and would also work well for letting your dog roam the yard. We have one in De Soto and we love it.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:32 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

CYV was our choice because of our 2 golden retrievers. No regrets at all. There is another choice now, veranda homes, a designer home with a fenced yard. Just a choice on what you want in a house, our courtyard villa is 1800+ sqft so size isn’t an issue. Veranda homes are only available in new area (Fenney McClure etc.) Courtyard villas are available for resale everywhere in The Villages.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 03-06-2019, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

OP, do some additional research as you not only need to keep your dog in but the other local wild animals OUT. In any case you do not want to leave your pet outside unattended, there are too many local predators. We have cats, and are very careful that they are only allowed in the screened lanai and birdcage, ans only when we are home.
There are many dog owners here in TV and I am sure you will get lots of information for you to think about.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

The patio villa’s that I seen have little front yard and usually no back yard, plus majority close together. IMO that would be bad choice for dogs. Unless you found one at the end of street which usually have bigger side and back yard
Old 03-06-2019, 04:37 PM

Thanks for everyone's response. Right now I am looking at pre-owned 2-br models hopefully allowing me to not have to do too many upgrades as would need to be done on a new model. What I'm noticing on the home for sale websites, though, are a lot of the CYV's have the full area done with hardscape and not much green space. But as I have read - keep an open mind to all that is available. Did not think about the issues of wild animals to deal with. I have been watching some of the you tube videos of the golf rides thru TV and noticed some of the golf trails ride along the backside wall of the CYV's - is this a noise issue to think about?
Old 03-06-2019, 05:40 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

We have two large Setters. We wanted a house but coming from a large property outside of Seattle that was all fenced, and being that the dogs go off leash to the park every morning to run and then we do not walk them on a leash at all, when we bought late 2011 there were only CY Villas as an option. We chose one that has a huge view in Haciendas of Mission Hills and no neighbor to one side of us. We put a dog door in the house to the birdcage and from the birdcage to a large grassy yard. The dogs are very happy and come in and out as they want. The Veranda's are a perfect solution for a house if you do not want a view and do not mind the walls. Its whatever you prefer. I would say a large percentage of our neighborhood bought in Mission Hills because they have dogs and wanted a villa for the safe yard. However if we did not have a view, I like my friend Jeanne above with the Havanese, could not have dealt with feeling closed in. Different choices available depending on your likes, needs and budget
Old 03-06-2019, 06:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLID2470 View Post
Marcy from Texas
Hi, Marcy. Robert and I bought our Court Yard Villa specifically so that we could let our dog Abby Gale into the yard any time she wanted. We put a doggie door in our birdcage for her.

To your other questions:
..Yes, I think it's worth the extra money. In many cases, you can't see your neighbors over the fences, so there is that extra privacy. Not that we don't LOVE our neighbors. And corner lots often have more land.
..We still walk Abby several times daily. Potty breaks, which she will have endlessly if you oblige, she does on her own through the doggie door.
..Your dog on a leash: it is a rule that your dog must always be on a leash anywhere that is not your own enclosed yard. That being said, people in villas tend to form their own acquaintances, friendships and familiarities. Many people have dogs. If your dog is exceptionally well behaved, perhaps your fellow VILLA-gers will be okay with no leash. Abby Gale always obeys and she sees a lot of dogs on our walks around the villa community that comprises about 71 home sites.

Does your dog like to play golf?
Old 03-06-2019, 07:03 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
We have two large Setters. We wanted a house but coming from a large property outside of Seattle that was all fenced, and being that the dogs go off leash to the park every morning to run and then we do not walk them on a leash at all, when we bought late 2011 there were only CY Villas as an option. We chose one that has a huge view in Haciendas of Mission Hills and no neighbor to one side of us. We put a dog door in the house to the birdcage and from the birdcage to a large grassy yard. The dogs are very happy and come in and out as they want. The Veranda's are a perfect solution for a house if you do not want a view and do not mind the walls. Its whatever you prefer. I would say a large percentage of our neighborhood bought in Mission Hills because they have dogs and wanted a villa for the safe yard. However if we did not have a view, I like my friend Jeanne above with the Havanese, could not have dealt with feeling closed in. Different choices available depending on your likes, needs and budget
May of the veranda models have great views being on water with open fences to the rear and I believe in McClure there are some on the golf courses. These particular models only have a solid wall on one side and the front gate having open viewing to the rear but also a fence to keep pets in the yard.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:36 PM
Gold member

Love the villa for the doggie and equally for ourselves. We had a designer and loved that but decided our doggie needed more room to roam off leash. She was set in her ways and while she liked some dogs, some she did not. We bought an end unit CYV with a large lot. The pup was happy and so were we (sadly she passed away and now we have Bennie). The walls are wonderful, they are not that high and the skyviews are fabulous. Love the privacy of going into the yard (and pool) whenever and not worrying about a neighbor seeing me maybe not looking my best. When the dog has to go out at any hour, it's great to open the door. For us there are way more upsides to a villa than downsides. I still walk the dog a couple of miles every night and the ease of villa living is perfect for us. Good luck and remember, the average Villager moves 3 times.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
We chose a CYV for our dogs and have not regretted it.
Plus 1
Old 03-06-2019, 09:13 PM

In Marion County, the northern third of TV, the leash law allows the dog to roam freely on your property, while it must be on a leash under your control everywhere else. If your dog knows your property and doesn't wander, or if you install an Invisible Fence, the dog might enjoy a certain amount of freedom along with daily walks.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, texas, routine, homes, daily

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.