Question for dog owners

Question for dog owners

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 03-06-2019, 06:31 PM
Gold member

Location: Bridgeport CT; Boston, Winthrop, Dorchester, Canton, Provincetown MA; The Village of Hadley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLID2470 View Post
I am planning my first visit to TV in June to spend a few weeks. I have looked at all the available types of homes available and the patio homes fit my liking. Unlike my current home, there is not a fenced backed yard for my dog to roam freely during the daytime. He loves to take his daily naps in the Texas sunshine. For the pet owners - did any of you choose the courtyard villas specifically because there is a fenced area? Is it worth the extra money? If you don't have a fence - how did your daily routine change regarding walks, potty breaks, dog park visits, etc? Right now this is not my routine. I know it will be an adjustment having to him always on a leash - just would like your feedback.
Marcy from Texas
Hi, Marcy. Robert and I bought our Court Yard Villa specifically so that we could let our dog Abby Gale into the yard any time she wanted. We put a doggie door in our birdcage for her.

To your other questions:
..Yes, I think it's worth the extra money. In many cases, you can't see your neighbors over the fences, so there is that extra privacy. Not that we don't LOVE our neighbors. And corner lots often have more land.
..We still walk Abby several times daily. Potty breaks, which she will have endlessly if you oblige, she does on her own through the doggie door.
..Your dog on a leash: it is a rule that your dog must always be on a leash anywhere that is not your own enclosed yard. That being said, people in villas tend to form their own acquaintances, friendships and familiarities. Many people have dogs. If your dog is exceptionally well behaved, perhaps your fellow VILLA-gers will be okay with no leash. Abby Gale always obeys and she sees a lot of dogs on our walks around the villa community that comprises about 71 home sites.

Does your dog like to play golf?

Old 03-06-2019, 07:03 PM
Gold member

Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
We have two large Setters. We wanted a house but coming from a large property outside of Seattle that was all fenced, and being that the dogs go off leash to the park every morning to run and then we do not walk them on a leash at all, when we bought late 2011 there were only CY Villas as an option. We chose one that has a huge view in Haciendas of Mission Hills and no neighbor to one side of us. We put a dog door in the house to the birdcage and from the birdcage to a large grassy yard. The dogs are very happy and come in and out as they want. The Veranda's are a perfect solution for a house if you do not want a view and do not mind the walls. Its whatever you prefer. I would say a large percentage of our neighborhood bought in Mission Hills because they have dogs and wanted a villa for the safe yard. However if we did not have a view, I like my friend Jeanne above with the Havanese, could not have dealt with feeling closed in. Different choices available depending on your likes, needs and budget
May of the veranda models have great views being on water with open fences to the rear and I believe in McClure there are some on the golf courses. These particular models only have a solid wall on one side and the front gate having open viewing to the rear but also a fence to keep pets in the yard.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2019, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

Love the villa for the doggie and equally for ourselves. We had a designer and loved that but decided our doggie needed more room to roam off leash. She was set in her ways and while she liked some dogs, some she did not. We bought an end unit CYV with a large lot. The pup was happy and so were we (sadly she passed away and now we have Bennie). The walls are wonderful, they are not that high and the skyviews are fabulous. Love the privacy of going into the yard (and pool) whenever and not worrying about a neighbor seeing me maybe not looking my best. When the dog has to go out at any hour, it's great to open the door. For us there are way more upsides to a villa than downsides. I still walk the dog a couple of miles every night and the ease of villa living is perfect for us. Good luck and remember, the average Villager moves 3 times.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
We chose a CYV for our dogs and have not regretted it.
Plus 1
Old 03-06-2019, 09:13 PM

In Marion County, the northern third of TV, the leash law allows the dog to roam freely on your property, while it must be on a leash under your control everywhere else. If your dog knows your property and doesn't wander, or if you install an Invisible Fence, the dog might enjoy a certain amount of freedom along with daily walks.
Cyv
Old 03-06-2019, 10:30 PM

Default Cyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLID2470 View Post
I am planning my first visit to TV in June to spend a few weeks. I have looked at all the available types of homes available and the patio homes fit my liking. Unlike my current home, there is not a fenced backed yard for my dog to roam freely during the daytime. He loves to take his daily naps in the Texas sunshine. For the pet owners - did any of you choose the courtyard villas specifically because there is a fenced area? Is it worth the extra money? If you don't have a fence - how did your daily routine change regarding walks, potty breaks, dog park visits, etc? Right now this is not my routine. I know it will be an adjustment having to him always on a leash - just would like your feedback.
Marcy from Texas
In answer to your questions. Yes, and yes. Do it
Old 03-07-2019, 04:48 AM
Veteran member

See many properties with large plots where owners have installed Invisible Fence. Seems to work very well, and mutts seem happy with the added freedom.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:59 PM
Platinum member

Invisible fence works for our neighbors but they never leave the dogs out unless they are close by. We take our dog out three times a day - walk her a couple times and just the front yard in the afternoon. Works for us.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:21 PM

It's not unusual to find courtyard villas for rent that are almost entirely hardscaped. This makes yard maintenance much easier on the owner who may not live full time, or at all, in the villages. That doesn't help your pet with finding a suitable place "to go" though. As others have pointed out, there is now a Veranda series which are designer homes that are fenced almost like a courtyard villa. I don't believe deed restrictions allow the Verandas to be completely hardscaped. However, there aren't near as many of those as villas and even fewer that can actually be rented. I live in the original Verandas in Fenney and know of only 1 where the owner rents it out. The original Verandas look more like just any other designer home neighborhood from the streets. The newest Verandas in McClure and Marsh Bend are built inside a surrounding wall with 1 street coming in and going out of the entire neighborhood.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:08 PM
Sage

We moved from a designer to a CYV and love it. Our guy pees in the patio stones every morning (great because I don't have to get out of my jammies) but prefers his perch on a line in the driveway all. day. long. Possibly because a slew of neighbors pass by and give him treats. Driveway Dog. They certainly are creatures of habit.

Last edited by CFrance; 03-07-2019 at 08:16 PM.

Tags
dog, texas, routine, homes, daily