Question For Hobby Level Musicians Living in TV

Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2020, 04:59 PM

Okay, I just want to say thanks to all who replied to my question. Your responses are appreciated. I will say I am not surprised, what with some 100k residents, I expected plenty of hobby level musicians. We'll be visiting around the middle of November for the first time, and I am looking forward to the experience. Regards, Cycler
Old 10-17-2020, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Any future Eddie Van Halen’s out there? Been listening to VH tribute on XM this week; wow, he was incredible.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:53 AM

There are numerous articles that mention Eddie Van Halen's guitar genius. Here is one (and maybe the best).

This is my favorite Van Halen tune

Hot For Teacher

Alex's drum part is extraordinary.
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:57 AM

Hey All: I'm a drummer with practice space and am interested
Old 10-19-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
There are a LOT more music groups or clubs than the ones others have mentioned, but you will have to search carefully for them. Here is the current list of approved clubs:

https://www.districtgov.org/images/ClubsListing.pdf

They claim 2500, I think my estimate was more like 1700. My recollection is that there are a couple symphonies of sorts, at different levels. If you play violin or something like that, give it a try. There is a concert band, I think, if you were in band in high school. There are at least two jazz ensembles, one quite good and one more relaxed. There are bands for folk, country, rock, Latin, uke, bluegrass, hymns, gospel, and more. I think there is even a banjo club. Some are small or not open to others, and some are wide open.

There are probably also smaller groups of friends who get together on there own. After all, some of us go crazy in a group of thirty guitar players who each want to solo for a chorus on each song. Are there any string quartets? I don’t know, but that would be nice. I was hoping for some people who like to play Brazilian Choro and Bossa Nova, as I really enjoy playing those. Or how about Gypsy Swing? Or the Great American Songbook? I love those.

Search the list. Remember to go all the way through. (I actually did, and I now have a notebook of a hundred groups of various sorts I’d like to explore. Most I may not like, but so what?) Some you may not have thought of may spark your imagination.
Good summary above, but some clarification:
There are three "concert" type bands in TV. Anyone can join. Two of these are "New Horizon" bands. The concept is that we are lifelong learners. You can join these bands as a beginner and try to keep up. I started learning to play the flute when I was 60 (!) as did others in my band. Music is one of the main reasons I moved to TV.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 10-20-2020, 10:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat585 View Post
Good summary above, but some clarification:
There are three "concert" type bands in TV. Anyone can join. Two of these are "New Horizon" bands. The concept is that we are lifelong learners. You can join these bands as a beginner and try to keep up. I started learning to play the flute when I was 60 (!) as did others in my band. Music is one of the main reasons I moved to TV.
I wasn't aware of any "bands" where beginners could drop in. Am I understanding you correctly? I think the Goodrich folk group might be an exception, but they're on indefinite hiatus. I know at least one of the concert bands you cite above requires an audition.

If beginners can show up and jam, where and when do these sessions take place? Are they on hold during the pandemic? Thanks.

Tags
hobby, share, music, question, folks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.