Question for part time villa renters

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONKEY10 View Post
I keep my golf cart inside the garage and the renters rent their own golf cart. I give them $10/day off the rent to rent a golf cart. I dont want to deal with the liability if they crash and get hurt with my cart.

Good suggestion.
Thanks!
Old 08-04-2016, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbmb24101 View Post
Asianthree, would you send me info about the cart barn , please?
I got the number off this site. Should be able to do search for cart barn
Old 08-11-2016, 06:28 AM

Since it seems most rentals include a cart, my guess is you won't have to worry since you're unlikely to rent your unit.
Take a peek at the rental site. I've rented five times and always had a cart included.

LatDoc
Old 08-11-2016, 07:33 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatDoc View Post
Since it seems most rentals include a cart, my guess is you won't have to worry since you're unlikely to rent your unit.
Take a peek at the rental site. I've rented five times and always had a cart included.
What did the owner of your rental unit do about insurance for the golf cart? It is my understanding that insurance companies do not insure a cart for property damage or liability if it is used by a renter. The fault would lie with the owner in case of an accident even if caused by his tenant.

It would be extremely foolish for anyone to have an uninsured golf cart.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:51 AM
Veteran member

On the carts, it is our understanding,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, IF you let anyone use your cart and if there is a major problem, you are the owner, you may be held liable so if you loan it with a rental, you need a separate statement of responsibility and an OK from your insurance carrier and perhaps, written paperwork, that you will not be liable. Be careful, you do not want someone driving and owning your new SUV.

bbbbbb
Old 08-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbbb View Post
On the carts, it is our understanding,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, IF you let anyone use your cart and if there is a major problem, you are the owner, you may be held liable so if you loan it with a rental, you need a separate statement of responsibility and an OK from your insurance carrier and perhaps, written paperwork, that you will not be liable. Be careful, you do not want someone driving and owning your new SUV.

bbbbbb
If the separate statement of responsibility is from your renter, I doubt if an insurance company would take that. In ANY case, be sure to have written proof from your insurance carrier that you would be covered - or take the cart keys with you - and maybe the steering wheel locked, too.

Nope, we have all worked too long and hard to lose everything in an easily preventable liability lawsuit.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:05 AM

My attorney and others told me that it is a bad idea. My insurance company basically said they don't cover renters, but I could just leave it out of the rental agreement and let them use it as "friends". Bad advice, as my attorney says if they get hurt, or hurt or kill someone, I am responsible. And that could wipe a landlord out.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieInVa View Post
My attorney and others told me that it is a bad idea. My insurance company basically said they don't cover renters, but I could just leave it out of the rental agreement and let them use it as "friends". Bad advice, as my attorney says if they get hurt, or hurt or kill someone, I am responsible. And that could wipe a landlord out.

Many people listen to whatever they want to hear. You're smart, others not so much.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieInVa View Post
Just wondering why so many landlords take a chance then of possibly getting wiped out financially and let tenants use a golf cart with a rental unit?
Old 08-13-2016, 08:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
This was the case when I rented.

Most patio villas fit a car and a cart. I know mine does.

It's safe in TV, I leave my electric cart in the garage with the keys in it, with the garage door closed.

That was a good one that said take the battery out in a gas cart! Serious leg pulling, on that statement.

Why do you say that?
Old 08-14-2016, 09:08 AM
Gold member

I took the keys out of my cart and brought them to Michigan; but, I have an extended two cart plus cart garage. My cart is insured by The Villages Insurance and their policy does not cover renters. My property manager told me that she heard that The Villages Insurance were going to start covering renters in September. I haven't heard anything from them about this yet!
Old 12-06-2016, 01:34 PM

Well, here it is December as yet, the Villages Insurance STILL does not have a rental policy available despite saying they're working on it since last May, at least as long as I've been asking about it....
Old 12-06-2016, 02:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
What did the owner of your rental unit do about insurance for the golf cart? It is my understanding that insurance companies do not insure a cart for property damage or liability if it is used by a renter. The fault would lie with the owner in case of an accident even if caused by his tenant.

It would be extremely foolish for anyone to have an uninsured golf cart.
Some insurance companies DO allow and cover it. It's been discussed ad nauseum on this site. Like the other poster said, the overwhelming majority of rentals come WITH a cart. Not everyone in TV is running around looking for the falling sky.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:08 PM

It is IMO (and my Insurance company's atty) do not allow anyone to use your golf cart, that would also include friends and neighbors who hv guest in town. The Florida courts have determined that golf carts are a "Dangerous Instrumtality" and if the owner has given permission for others to use it, the the owner is responsible. It's not worth it to save somebody $10
Dangerous Instrumentality As Applied To Incidents Involving Golf Carts In Florida — callahan & fusco, LLC.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Some insurance companies DO allow and cover it. It's been discussed ad nauseum on this site. Like the other poster said, the overwhelming majority of rentals come WITH a cart. Not everyone in TV is running around looking for the falling sky.

Please site which insurance companies cover renters and owners using a golf cart. And please no temporary ownership (techniques) to cover the owner and renters as a way to circumnavigate the law.
Closed Thread

Tags
villa, renters, cart, golf, question

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.