Question on Property Maintenance

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2012, 11:20 PM
Default Question on Property Maintenance

The Villages is one of the places I'm very interested in moving to within a couple of years. I've visited a friend there several times, and have been very impressed.

Haven't reviewed many of the details yet, but I have a question. First, let me say I am really tired of living for years in neighborhoods of large cities where trashy properties keep popping up (e.g., poor lawn maintenance, peeling paint, litter, etc.). The Villages looks neat and clean, though. If I were to buy there, how would I be certain that all neighbors maintain their properties? Are the developers or the "HOA" strict about this? I would assume so, based on the appearance of The Villages, but how is good property maintenance enforced?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

I've only lived in TV for a short time, but my understanding is that it is a complaint driven process. If someone complains about a neighbors property being in disrepair (long weeds/grass, lawn ornaments, car on blocks, etc.) the offending party is visited by Neighborhood Watch and given a certain amount of time to fix the problem.

Sorry, but I don't know who to complain to, as I have only been here a short time and my neighbors keep their homes very well maintained, so I haven't had the need to learn this information.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 02-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlove615 View Post
The Villages is one of the places I'm very interested in moving to within a couple of years. I've visited a friend there several times, and have been very impressed.

Haven't reviewed many of the details yet, but I have a question. First, let me say I am really tired of living for years in neighborhoods of large cities where trashy properties keep popping up (e.g., poor lawn maintenance, peeling paint, litter, etc.). The Villages looks neat and clean, though. If I were to buy there, how would I be certain that all neighbors maintain their properties? Are the developers or the "HOA" strict about this? I would assume so, based on the appearance of The Villages, but how is good property maintenance enforced?
------------------------------------------------------
This should help.
MISSION
To assist residents in upholding the aesthetic value of their property in The Villages.

The Community Standards Department is committed to upholding the high standards of our community’s residential architectural design, landscaping and aesthetics. The department has two divisions: Deed Compliance and Architectural Review.

You have chosen to live in a community protected by Restrictive Covenants. The Declaration of Restrictions was issued to you at the closing on your home. It was at that time you signed a covenant with the Developer to comply with the Restrictive Covenants. We urge all homeowners to read their Restrictive Covenants.

--------------------------------
Deed Compliance
You have chosen to live in one of the most beautiful communities in Florida. It will remain a premier community because the residents support strict compliance with the Declaration of Covenants and Restrictions. Many residents moved to The Villages because of these restrictions. To maintain the overall aesthetic qualities desirable in a first-class community, certain activities and property uses are restricted. The following is a summary of many items covered in the Declaration of Covenants and Restrictions. This summary is meant to call attention to some of the major items and by no means is a comprehensive list.

•Air-Conditioners: Window air-conditioners are prohibited and only central air-conditioners are permitted.
•Building Repair: Dwellings and structures must at all times be kept in good repair, adequately painted and otherwise clean.
•Garbage/Trash: Prior to being placed curbside for collection, no rubbish, trash, garbage or other waste material shall be kept or permitted on any Homesite or on dedicated or reserved areas except in containers, as required by your sanitation hauler, located in appropriate areas concealed from public view.
•Lawn ornaments: Some neighborhoods prohibit lawn ornaments. Please check your individual Declaration of Covenants and Restrictions.
•Maintenance: Landscaping shall be maintained to provide a neat and clean appearance. Removal of weeds, dead plants, grass clippings, trash and debris is required to meet this objective.
•Modifications: Alterations to the exterior of the home or lot require architectural approval.
•Motor Vehicles: No vehicles incapable of operation shall be stored on any Homesite.
•Residential Use Restrictions: Property must be devoted only to single-family residential use. Properties within the Subdivision are intended for residential use and no commercial, professional or similar activity requiring either maintaining an inventory, equipment or customer/client visits may be conducted in a Home or on a Homesite.
•Satellite Dishes: Please contact the Community Standards Department for guidelines.
•Signage: Where permitted, please check your individual Declaration of Covenants and Restrictions for size and location.
•Tree Removal: No tree with a trunk four (4) inches in diameter shall be removed or effectively removed through excessive injury without first obtaining written permission.

Due to the diversity of the Declaration of Covenants and Restrictions, it is important that you familiarize yourself with your particular set.

Concerns about possible deed restriction violations may be provided to the Community Standards Deed Compliance Division by phone, fax, mail, electronic mail, or in person and may be made anonymously. The Community Standards Deed Compliance Division is entirely complaint driven.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Sage
Default In room airconditioners allowed?

I know that window air conditioners are not permitted. Will they allow in room air conditioners? Nothing sticks out the window. kinda like putting a fan in your window. Do the windows even have screens? I never really looked when touring the models? We like it REALLY cool in the bedroom at night for sleeping.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I know that window air conditioners are not permitted. Will they allow in room air conditioners? Nothing sticks out the window. kinda like putting a fan in your window. Do the windows even have screens? I never really looked when touring the models? We like it REALLY cool in the bedroom at night for sleeping.
Do what you like inside your home,...I think most of the homes come with window screens, mine did, ....took some of them out and stored them...
Old 02-01-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:

C'mon to our world,....no refrigerators on the front porch here, or cars up on blocks out in the yard!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
We have screens here. Yes. The air conditioners we have had here are very good at cooling.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

I would add to what Bogie Shooter posted. The rules and restrictions are to be taken seriously. The CDD's have the wherewithal to enforce them and they do. They will maintain property when required, bill the owner, and place a lien on the property if bill unpaid.

BTW, Catlove615,our HOA is not a governing body in the same sense it is in a traditional sub division. We are governed by a Community Development District (CDD). Membership in the HOA is optional. It is reputed to be controlled by the Developer. We also have a Property Owners Association (POA). It represents the owners and acts as a watchdog organization.

Nothing is certain but I am very comfortable with the management of TV. My concerns were similar to yours when I moved here ten years ago.

Hope this helps.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.