Question re: building rather than buying existing home

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2017, 04:37 PM
Default Question re: building rather than buying existing home

We're coming to the Villages in May to visit friends and take a look around.

Quick question - if we decide we like and want to build will the builder remove a window in a Courtyard Villa plan?
Old 03-04-2017, 04:45 PM

In the past no, but who knows these days.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, if you buy a lot or an existing manufactured home in the historic district, you can have anything that you want built on it. You can use any builder that you'd prefer. There's even one person over here that bought two lots and build a very large home. From what I understand, she pays two amenity fees.

Another person built a custom courtyard villa

You can pretty much do anything you want. The rules over here are different
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
We're coming to the Villages in May to visit friends and take a look around.

Quick question - if we decide we like and want to build will the builder remove a window in a Courtyard Villa plan?
Talking to a Villages Agent is a good idea. We used Jim McLaughlin, once to build and once to buy new. We think of him as a friend. He is on his seventh or eighth home here in The Villages. His number 352.446.4556 is
He is NOT pushy.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

I agree with GracieGirl, talk to a villages sales agent, we used Priscilla Hart, when we bought a lot and built our house. I was not aware that this could be done with CYV, but I have been mistaken before, so call and ask. I would do this before you come down, so you do not waste time on this discussion and you can concentrate on getting your new home.
If your concern for eliminating the window is excessive sunlight, you could get extra heavy drapes to cut down on the light. If you want the wall space, then you should be able to have the window removed, replaced with a wall, after you buy the house.
Also, if it turns out that you can make modifications, then I would ask if you can upgrade carpet, counter tops, cabinets, etc., to get exactly what you want. We were able to do this, and this eliminated having a lot of work done after we moved in.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:06 AM

Be careful in closing in a window. Could be a life safety/egress issue
Old 03-05-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
If I'm not mistaken, if you buy a lot or an existing manufactured home in the historic district, you can have anything that you want built on it. You can use any builder that you'd prefer. There's even one person over here that bought two lots and build a very large home. From what I understand, she pays two amenity fees.

Another person built a custom courtyard villa

You can pretty much do anything you want. The rules over here are different
I am new to this blog and in the process of looking to move into The Villages, so excuse me if I don't know stuff! By the historic district, do you mean Orange Blossom Hills, or are there other areas, too, that you can build what you want?
Old 03-05-2017, 02:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

You may still be able to buy a lot and build in the new Pine hills area ( South of 466a, east of Morse), you will need to call and ask. Fenny is almost 5 miles away by car (no golf cart) and is the newest area, I have no idea what the options are there.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

First, I agree with Mark47. Please make sure you’re not affecting egress in case of an emergency.

I will be building new and I’m using a TV sales agent. The amount of customization available today would surprise many that have built in the past. TV sales shared that TV believes the decease in new construction last year was due in large part to the imposed rigidity in the process of new construction. Now, there is a ton of customization permitted. I have yet to hear “no” to any of my requests. Of course they will add a hefty premium for the changes but that would occur whether in TV or Bangor, ME.

I’m sure they will happily make the change you request. All you have to do is ask. And there is always after market/post closing, but that would be the most expensive.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURFORPC View Post
I am new to this blog and in the process of looking to move into The Villages, so excuse me if I don't know stuff! By the historic district, do you mean Orange Blossom Hills, or are there other areas, too, that you can build what you want?
Yes, that's what they mean by Historic Side.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:52 PM
Sage

It's Orange Blossom Gardens. Orange Blossom Hills is across from Hwy. 42 and not part of The Villages. And I think the historic side also includes Silverlake and Country Club Hills.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:25 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
It's Orange Blossom Gardens. Orange Blossom Hills is across from Hwy. 42 and not part of The Villages. And I think the historic side also includes Silverlake and Country Club Hills.
I knew she meant across 441. A lot of people call it Orange Blossom Hills because that's the name of the Country Club.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark47 View Post
Be careful in closing in a window. Could be a life safety/egress issue
There is a front door, a sliding door, a garage door and probably other windows, so that probably isn't an issue.

Tags
question, remove, window, courtyard, plan

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.