Question Re: One of My Favorite Squares Bands

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2019, 12:32 PM
Sage
Default Question Re: One of My Favorite Squares Bands

Uncle Bob's Rock Shop.

They were my first favorite band here and I still really like them. But I have to ask if anybody has noticed a change in their sound quality in recent months. First of all, in no way is this intended as an insult to the band. Like I said, I still like them a lot. Just saw them last night at Brownwood. Their musicianship, vocals, and entertainment skills are as solid as ever. I'm just wondering if anybody has noticed a change in sound quality somehow or another?

Volume seems lower than it used to be, but that's not all. There just isn't quite the 'power' in crucial parts of songs. Sitting in front of the bleachers last night, you could barely hear the driving rhythm that is so crucial to many songs.

I know this is rather vague, but if you've been a big fan of UBRS for more than a year or so, I would guess you may have a clue what I'm talking about.

Well, am I the only one?
Old 05-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

I find the sound quality for pretty much all the bands, at the 2 Squares that I frequent,(never been to BW) leaves something to be desired. I don't let it bother me too much. And I like UBRS also along with American Martian, The Hooligans.....I really like the Steve Hogie Band, they are tight.
Steve
Old 05-25-2019, 01:32 PM

they r all too LOUD>>>>
Old 05-25-2019, 01:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
I find the sound quality for pretty much all the bands, at the 2 Squares that I frequent,(never been to BW) leaves something to be desired. I don't let it bother me too much. And I like UBRS also along with American Martian, The Hooligans.....I really like the Steve Hogie Band, they are tight.
Steve
Ahh. We like many of the same bands. And I know sound quality at the squares is limited just due to the environment and various restrictions.

But that’s not really what I’m talking about. UBRS’s sound in general is much different now than it was a year or so ago. Just not generally as ‘strong’ imo.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:36 PM
Veteran member

Is this the band that one of the members died in the last few months??
Old 05-25-2019, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Ahh. We like many of the same bands. And I know sound quality at the squares is limited just due to the environment and various restrictions.

But that’s not really what I’m talking about. UBRS’s sound in general is much different now than it was a year or so ago. Just not generally as ‘strong’ imo.
I like the same bands also. I have also noticed a difference in the sound of Uncle Bob's, as well as Rocky and the Rollers. By far the best band playing in the squares these days is The Hooligans, in my opinion. Many of the other regular bands acts seem to have gotten kind of old and boring, especially Johnny Wild and the Delights (although Johnny sure does have a high opinion of himself).

The one band that no longer seems to be in the regular rotation that I really miss is "He Said, She Said". The "he" in that band, Todd Fulcher, is by far the best musician I have ever watched perform at the squares. In fact, Todd is as good a guitar player as anyone I have ever seen perform anywhere. Too bad they are no longer playing the squares, while Scotter the DJ remains a regular, go figure?
Old 05-25-2019, 09:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Sized View Post
Is this the band that one of the members died in the last few months??
No, that was Smokin' Torpedoes IIRC.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlaur View Post
they r all too LOUD>>>>
I don't mind loud but they are now setting sound levels at PAINFUL MODE at LSL. Even sitting across the street at Starbucks it's really loud. Much more so than a few months ago. It's all controlled by the guy in the shack who runs around with the iPad changing levels on the fly. I have a sound level app called Decibel X Pro on my phone which while not a professional meter is allegedly quite accurate and quite often in the square the number reaches and even exceeds 100db which they equate to being in a subway. Sitting at Starbucks it often 85-90db. I guess they figure a lot of us are hard of hearing. Definitely has changed since last fall.
Closed Thread

Tags
noticed, sound, night, quality, change

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.