Question regarding mixing vaccine booster shots

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2021, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Google is always your friend:

You might want to check with the people who made the rules: Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of COVID-19 Vaccines | CDC

Interchangeability of booster doses
Heterologous (mix and match) booster doses can be used in eligible recipients aged ≥18 years (see Considerations for use of a COVID-19 vaccine booster dose for more details).

And from here: So you got the Johnson & Johnson COVID vaccine: What a booster means for you - CNET

The CDC says everyone who got the one-dose shot can get another dose of Johnson & Johnson at least two months after they were vaccinated, or they can get a booster shot of Pfizer or Moderna. That's because the CDC and US Food and Drug Administration have also authorized a heterologous booster dose for all adults who qualify for one, meaning people can now "mix and match" vaccines for a booster and aren't tied to their original vaccine.
I am not a medical expert but, it seems to me a part of the issue is we chose to spread the money around. I've yet to see anyone but me question value per dollar. I have read that Pfizer is $21 a shot and Moderna is $20. Truth I'm not sure, perhaps it is the reverse Pfizer at $20 and Moderna at $21. In any case shouldn't cost matter? Cost and results? No one seems to know or care.

Like any disease covid 19 is changing. The current versions are more easily spread but less likely to kill. Originally syphilis would kill in days-little chance of being spread. The disease evolved into something people could live with for years. More chance to be spread.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:07 PM
Gold member

I would be asking my doctor and not people on a Forum!
Old 11-18-2021, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

Fully vaccinated people are at least 3x less likely to be infected with COVID-19.

Among people with COVID-19, fully vaccinated people were half as likely to need emergency care or hospitalization, and 7x less likely to die from COVID-19 than unvaccinated people.

Incidence of SARS-CoV-2 Infection, Emergency Department Visits, and Hospitalizations Because of COVID-19 Among Persons Aged ≥12 Years, by COVID-19 Vaccination Status — Oregon and Washington, July 4–September 25, 2021 | MMWR.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	CB46D5AD-528F-4F54-BFEC-F35478990649.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	91571  

Last edited by Altavia; 11-18-2021 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
i am not a medical expert but, it seems to me a part of the issue is we chose to spread the money around. I've yet to see anyone but me question value per dollar. I have read that pfizer is $21 a shot and moderna is $20. Truth i'm not sure, perhaps it is the reverse pfizer at $20 and moderna at $21. In any case shouldn't cost matter? Cost and results? No one seems to know or care.

Like any disease covid 19 is changing. The current versions are more easily spread but less likely to kill. Originally syphilis would kill in days-little chance of being spread. The disease evolved into something people could live with for years. More chance to be spread.
_115989415_vaccine_cost_dose_2x640-nc-jpg
Old 11-19-2021, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,644 Times in 1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
There is another thread on herd immunity, you may want to add your opinion over there.
Oh wait, you all have already done that.
It seems like he/she is adding to the discussion and you seem to be intent on attacking the poster. Not much value in that.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
It seems like he/she is adding to the discussion and you seem to be intent on attacking the poster. Not much value in that.
Not directed at one poster.....the whole class.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
A relative recently told me that they had received a Moderna booster shot for the J&J vaccination they had originally received. I was astonished as information on the two vaccinations shows that they are entirely different. The J&J is derived from infected animals (monkeys) and the Moderna is a mRNA technology. Seems to me that it is entirely different. After doing a bit of Internet surfing, I found that doctors are encouraging the mixing. That surprised me also.

So, my question is that if any booster is working for this, regardless of type of vaccine, then wouldn't that mean that a Moderna booster would also work for a flu shot? Sounds ridiculous, I know but if you can mix a virus derived vaccine with a mRNA booster, something sounds a bit fishy. I am starting to wonder if the booster even matters, as many doctors have already admitted that the vaccine will NOT eliminate infection or the passing on the infection to others. It seems that it may eliminate MOST infected from dying in the hospital, if anything.

Don't get me wrong, I have my vaccination. Apparently, the FDA or CDC are now discounting any chance of herd immunity, since immunity would indicate that you can't become infected by the illness.

The pandemic is still on many folks minds and they wish to discuss it, so this is NOT "just another Covid thread." Well, actually it is BUT folks are still concerned or you would not see many still wearing masks and still lining up for their shots....mostly boosters. And that is the point of this, BOOSTERS.
We have science, we have economics and we have crowd control. No matter what you think you will find scientists, companies and people who agree with you. Typical of any virus, it changes. Months ago they had identified over 100 variations. Vaccines, they do not want to say the Physer, the Modera, the J&J, the Astro Zenca is the one that is the best. They do not want to allow a panic.

So here we sit in a state of confusion. My wife and I have had 3 Physer shots. I did ask and the third one was the same as the first two. I have the receipt for what they gave me. Did they really give me what is says? BEATS ME.

For that matter, if there is a better choice than the one I made, there are no do overs.

We tend to expect, to demand perfect answers. Typically while we expect, demand perfect answers to most issues there are no perfect answers.
Old 12-04-2021, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

With variants abound, will the Term “Fully Vaccinated” need to be changed?

Will boosters be common place?

Vaccination x2, Booster of 1, good thing cards have multiple lines.

Maybe next year will it just be 2nd Generation Possible Fully Vaccinated with possible booster.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:52 PM

My husband had J&J initially, as that was the first shot available to him. When it came time for his booster, he was advised to get the Moderna by a pharmacy university professor who runs a drug information center, his primary care physician - who is also a registered pharmacist, and the employees of the clinic where he got the shot.

As has been explained repeatedly, J&J took a different approach and did not use mRNA. Studies and data collected from the “real world” show that combining mRNA with J&J is most effective in boosting immunity.

When I went for my booster this week, I was advised to stay with Pfizer, which my first two had been. I’m feeling pretty punk right now, but am glad to have that added protection. I’m not yet retired and have a lot of potential exposure.

I do not understand why there are those who are still arguing that vaccines don’t stop the immunized from getting sick so you shouldn’t get one. Evidence is clear that those who have been vaccinated are less likely to get sick, not be as sick, and significantly less likely to die.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
You ignore the millions of people who have already contracted and survived Covid.

They have a stronger immune response than those who were simply vaccinated.

Why they won't include those in the count is ponderous...

That said, it matters not because everyone's mind is already made up...
No matter what the issue is to change a mind there are two options force them to do what it is you want. The other is to convince them to do what you want actually present facts that they will take the time to read and consider and realize what they thought was wrong. The second method is far more difficult and at times almost impossible.
For centuries everyone knew the earth was flat and the planets revolved around the earth.

It is amazing to me how many people will argue that they have an opened mind yet do not see that they always make the same decision based on their bias.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by macawlaw View Post
My husband had J&J initially, as that was the first shot available to him. When it came time for his booster, he was advised to get the Moderna by a pharmacy university professor who runs a drug information center, his primary care physician - who is also a registered pharmacist, and the employees of the clinic where he got the shot.

As has been explained repeatedly, J&J took a different approach and did not use mRNA. Studies and data collected from the “real world” show that combining mRNA with J&J is most effective in boosting immunity.

When I went for my booster this week, I was advised to stay with Pfizer, which my first two had been. I’m feeling pretty punk right now, but am glad to have that added protection. I’m not yet retired and have a lot of potential exposure.

I do not understand why there are those who are still arguing that vaccines don’t stop the immunized from getting sick so you shouldn’t get one. Evidence is clear that those who have been vaccinated are less likely to get sick, not be as sick, and significantly less likely to die.
The problem with mixing vaccines is that collecting data as far as best results becomes less possible. As far as information collecting, we have yet to do a valid random survey.
Valid human medical studies are in many cases unethical so we rely on guesses.

Vaccine mix J&J then moderna. Is that the same as moderna and then J&J. Or now far as I know they are suggesting three shots. Possibilities? I don't recall how to figure it.
? 3x3x3?=27 but then there is the order is it then 27x3x3??? 243
Closed Thread

Tags
booster, vaccine, infected, moderna, doctors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.