Questions about Fenny

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2019, 11:46 AM
Default Questions about Fenny

Hi all,

We are newbies to this site, visited TV a few weeks ago and fell in love! Nicest people we have ever met. We are seriously thinking about a home in Fenny. Yes, we know how far out it is. I know this has been covered, so forgive me but we keep hearing this rumor and would like it clarified by someone who actually lives there.
There seems to be rumors of the prison PA system being heard in the area and light pollution at night. The rumors we hear are from somebody's neighbors realtor or my brother's next door neighbor friend of a friend. I read a few blog posts and it was down played by some. Any advice? There are a few model homes for sale that back up to "government property" which we assume is the prison property. Have read the prison is 5 miles by car, less as the crow flies. Returning 2/4 to look at houses.

Can't wait to be in the Villages!

D. Mills
Old 02-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mills3186 View Post
Hi all,

We are newbies to this site, visited TV a few weeks ago and fell in love! Nicest people we have ever met. We are seriously thinking about a home in Fenny. Yes, we know how far out it is. I know this has been covered, so forgive me but we keep hearing this rumor and would like it clarified by someone who actually lives there.
There seems to be rumors of the prison PA system being heard in the area and light pollution at night. The rumors we hear are from somebody's neighbors realtor or my brother's next door neighbor friend of a friend. I read a few blog posts and it was down played by some. Any advice? There are a few model homes for sale that back up to "government property" which we assume is the prison property. Have read the prison is 5 miles by car, less as the crow flies. Returning 2/4 to look at houses.

Can't wait to be in the Villages!

D. Mills

There are many, many, many discussions about Fenney. Here is a thread I started some time ago.

Village of Fenney's hidden secrets;
Old 02-01-2019, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Fenney Question
Old 02-01-2019, 12:36 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

I live here and have so for the last 21 months and as I have stated many times "I HAVE NEVER HEARD ANY SOUNDS WHATSOEVER FROM THE PRISON" if you think you might end up hearing it just go up to Marsh Landing they have started selling new homes in that village and it's a little further north. No matter where you live you're going to hear something be it cars, trucks, trains, planes, roosters, cows, or prisons.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:25 PM

We just purchased in Fenney and will arrive in late March. Although I cannot answer your specific question, I can mention some of the reasons we chose this location. Probably the most important issue was cost. A new home we were looking at, along with many more, was reduced in price during early December 2018. We could not have come close to the price paid for a similar house if we were north of 44. A second major issue was the relative lack of congestion and peacefulness. Other reasons included access to natural gas, purchasing a new home under warranty, relative closeness to points south by getting on the Turnpike using 501 and 470, a slightly younger demographic, and the availability of a home which possessed over 90% of the features we wanted. We have already met wonderful people who live in the area and very much looking forward to our move. I wish you all the best in your decision making process. I'm sure wherever you select will be wonderful.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:36 PM

I’ve been in Fenney since last May. As others have said, I have never heard anything from the prison. It’s very quiet here at night. Can sometimes hear a train in the distance but we actually enjoy that peaceful sound.
If you’re going to listen to rumors then don’t move north of 44 because there is a rat infestation there. Haha.
Come down and decide for yourself, I think you’ll love it here. I know we do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2019, 01:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip’dabeat View Post
If you’re going to listen to rumors then don’t move north of 44 because there is a rat infestation there. Haha.
Come down and decide for yourself, I think you’ll love it here. I know we do.
I assume (and hope) that you really are kidding about a rat infestation. We are just south of 466 and in the past 3 years have never seen a rat or mouse. An occasional squirrel, yes but no rats.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
I assume (and hope) that you really are kidding about a rat infestation. We are just south of 466 and in the past 3 years have never seen a rat or mouse. An occasional squirrel, yes but no rats.
You do know a squirrel is just a rat with a bushy tail?
Old 02-01-2019, 02:47 PM

We've owned in Fenney since October 2017. We have never heard a thing from the prison. There are plenty of little lizards that like to sun on the rocks and furniture...they are small and quickly scurry away...never a bother. We love Fenney and have made lots of new friends. I can't help but think you will love it too.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
You do know a squirrel is just a rat with a bushy tail?
Yes, but I do everything within my power to block out that information. Thanks for reminding me. LOL .
Old 02-01-2019, 04:00 PM

We are in McClure and have never heard anything from the Prison or the blasting from the quarry. We do hear the construction going on all around us, but so what we leave for the day and it doesn't bother us.

Now for how far out it is, I can make it from my house to 27/441 in 20-25 minutes, 466 in 20 minutes. Can you get here by golf cart, not yet.

We love the area down here.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip’dabeat View Post
I’ve been in Fenney since last May. As others have said, I have never heard anything from the prison.
Ditto!!!!!!!

There are some homes/sites in McClure and Linden that are closer to the prison, as the crow flies, but I ride over that way daily and have played golf over that way a couple of times and have never heard a peep from the prison. From some areas outside of the bubble, you can see the lights from it at night, but you can't see the complex itself.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
You must go out at night with a flashlight. Their eyes will just light up. Really you thought he was serious???
Old 02-01-2019, 05:30 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
You must go out at night with a flashlight. Their eyes will just light up. Really you thought he was serious???
Quite serious. We did have a problem after the hurricane and our entire neighborhood had to have rat traps set. We have not seen any recently.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Quite serious. We did have a problem after the hurricane and our entire neighborhood had to have rat traps set. We have not seen any recently.
The poster said “is” not was..........

Tags
prison, rumors, read, property, friend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.