Questions about Paypal or Venue use to collect dues for Villages' clubs?

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2021, 11:28 AM
Question Questions about Paypal or Venue use to collect dues for Villages' clubs?

Does anyone use Paypal or Venmo or Zelle to collect dues or fees for events for your clubs in the Villages? Which digital platform/s/ do you use?

I think a club (such as a Villages' club) can register for a personal account and not as a business. Is that true?

The fee structure is unclear to me.
I think that the following is the case:
1. If you use PayPal (or other form of digital payment collections) and the payee uses his checking account or PayPal debit, then there is no fee for either party.
2. if you go from member credit card to club's bank account then the credit card user is charged a fee.

is that correct?

Have you been happy using digital payments like PayPal?
If not, why?

thank you so much for answering.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxyztplk View Post
Does anyone use Paypal or Venmo or Zelle to collect dues or fees for events for your clubs in the Villages? Which digital platform/s/ do you use?

I think a club (such as a Villages' club) can register for a personal account and not as a business. Is that true?

1. If you use PayPal (or other form of digital payment collections) and the payee uses his checking account or PayPal debit, then there is no fee for either party.
2. if you go from member credit card to club's bank account then the credit card user is charged a fee.

is that correct?

If not, why?

I currently go to four different groups at the Laurel Manor Rec center. Have attended groups in rec centers since we first moved here as snowbirds and we now are full time. I can think of only a handful of times I was asked for any money for anything. Maybe for a surprise gift for the volunteer leader or we were having lunch brought in for a special occasion. If a volunteer asks for money it is most unusual.

Groups in rec centers are not supposed to be for profit, unless an outside group rents the room for some occasion that the rec center must approve.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I currently go to four different groups at the Laurel Manor Rec center. Have attended groups in rec centers since we first moved here as snowbirds and we now are full time. I can think of only a handful of times I was asked for any money for anything. Maybe for a surprise gift for the volunteer leader or we were having lunch brought in for a special occasion. If a volunteer asks for money it is most unusual.

Groups in rec centers are not supposed to be for profit, unless an outside group rents the room for some occasion that the rec center must approve.
Many groups, especially arts and crafts groups, charge annual dues or a fee per meeting to cover the cost of supplies. No one makes a profit. More convenient than everyone having to purchase individual supplies.

Also, neighborhood social clubs often pay an entertainer, and may have a caterer bring in food. The club will charge admission sufficient to pay their costs. Again, no profit is made. Any surplus (or deficit) is rolled into the next event.

Last edited by LuvtheVillages; 06-23-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:15 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks for your reply. We do not 'make any money' the dues and event fees are used to cover the costs of entertainment and food.
Quote:

Old 06-23-2021, 12:20 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks for your reply. We do not 'make any money'. The dues and event fees are used to cover the costs of entertainment and food as nicely explained by LuvtheVillages.

Quote:

Old 06-23-2021, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:

is that correct?

If not, why?

You might seriously consider Venmo. I have several friends and family members who are regular users and swear by it. There are no fees associated with its use.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
You might seriously consider Venmo. I have several friends and family members who are regular users and swear by it. There are no fees associated with its use.
Got an email from Venmo this morning that contained this update:

Effective July 20, 2021, users who receive payments that are identified by senders as for goods and services will be charged a seller transaction fee of 1.9% + $0.10.

Just FYI.

kathy
Old 06-23-2021, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
Got an email from Venmo this morning that contained this update:

Effective July 20, 2021, users who receive payments that are identified by senders as for goods and services will be charged a seller transaction fee of 1.9% + $0.10.

Just FYI.

kathy
The OP asked about a payment source used between members of a club, not commercial purposes.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:

We belong to 11 clubs, since 07, and all have yearly dues, except for one. Dues pay for, snacks, entertainment, badges, trivia games, prizes, and donations to certain causes.

We pay by check, for each club, all clubs have over 400 plus members, and are non profit. No other payments are excepted
Old 06-23-2021, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

I would never use PayPal for anything. It is a way for merchants to bypass the Federal credit card law for disputed transactions.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
The OP asked about a payment source used between members of a club, not commercial purposes.
Paypal asks you to specify what the money is for (goods, services, whatever). I haven't used Venmo for a while but I assume they do the the same type of thing since their email refers to payments identified by the sender as such and such. If a club used the service for dues they would have to make sure that members selected the proper category or the club could end up paying a fee to accept payments.

k.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We belong to 11 clubs, since 07, and all have yearly dues, except for one. Dues pay for, snacks, entertainment, badges, trivia games, prizes, and donations to certain causes.

We pay by check, for each club, all clubs have over 400 plus members, and are non profit. No other payments are excepted
I refuse to belong to any club here in The Villages that is an excuse for the head volunteer to be paid for their time.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
i would never use paypal for anything. It is a way for merchants to bypass the federal credit card law for disputed transactions.
i agree retiredguy124! I have ordered merchandise 2x over last few months that were from very sophisticated sites. Most recent was a site that looked exactly like "ring" with all the different available items for purchase. Paypal was used and item shows delivered in the villages the day after paypal charge hit my credit card. Usps gps said item delivered in tv but not at my home. Paypal refused to deny claim so i had to deny claim through credit card. Bottomline use credit card for paypal payments at no charge but dont expect them to deny fraudulent claims!
Old 06-24-2021, 06:05 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:

is that correct?

If not, why?

No, thats not correct. Paypal charges a fee. Best to use is Zelle. Its an electronic transfer from one acct to another, no fee and acct numbers arent exchanged. Your acct is attached to your email address. So you go into your acct on line, sign up for Zelle and to send money you just use the receivers email address to get it directed to your acct. you can also put it on auto pay if its a reoccurring bill. I use it and its very convenient
Old 06-24-2021, 06:08 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would never use PayPal for anything. It is a way for merchants to bypass the Federal credit card law for disputed transactions.
Ive disputed many things with paypal. Undelivered items, items not as described etc. theyve always investigated and usually refund my money from the sellers acct.
Closed Thread

Tags
paypal, fee, clubs, digital, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.