radon gas

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2015, 07:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default radon gas

Has anyone had their home tested for radon?
Old 02-11-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave harris View Post
There is very little concern for radon in Florida due to geological conditions here.

See Geologic Radon Potential of the U.S.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:29 AM

I doubt if Radon is an issue here - for a couple of reasons -

1. radon typically comes from granite bedrock - non existent here - if you go deep enough here underlying rock is young limestone - and

2. radon becomes a problem when it accumulates in basements - not many basements in Florida - water table is too high.
Originally from Maine & Virginia
Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 AM

I had to have my home in N.W. Illinois tested for Radon because the buyers attorney wanted it done. It Failed as do most homes in Northern Illinois. Had to have an extraction system installed and the retest passed. The contractor who installed the system told me Radon was NOT an issue in Florida.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default radon

Thank you for the comment, I had a disclaimer in my rental agreement about radon. I do know it is the second leading cause of lung cancer, behind smoking.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Just as a point of interest, radon is naturally occurring in granite and many homes have granite countertops in their kitchens and baths. A test for radon is expensive and usually unnecessary. For the most part, it is an uneducated buyer who wants that type of test done.

However, kitchens and baths with granite are nothing to worry about and what is emitted into the atmosphere is pretty much not even worth talking about.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Think you need to build on a solid surface such as granite don't think sand and clay qualify
Old 02-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave harris View Post
Do you have a basement under your home? If you don't then you shouldn't worry about radon gas.

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 02-11-2015, 07:46 PM

When we went to purchase our condo in Naples it had radon gas. Our realtor said they were seeing more and more radon gas.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJ View Post
When we went to purchase our condo in Naples it had radon gas. Our realtor said they were seeing more and more radon gas.
This is, IMHO, one of the biggest scams in the real estate market. It is true that radon is not a laughing matter, but unless your home is built on bedrock it is not not likely that you have radon gas in your home. We had a home in BNA and a radon test was required. They put the test kit on a granite rock in the crawlspace. Bad test! Cost me $5000 in modifications to satisfy the purchaser. The house next door sold one month later with a clean test.

Same issue in CLT. Only the test kit was left on granite counters. Bad result. I had them repeat the test and had the test kit placed on wooden flooring. Everything turned out fine.

The moral is to choose your testing company carefully and ask why they select a specific location.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
This is, IMHO, one of the biggest scams in the real estate market. It is true that radon is not a laughing matter, but unless your home is built on bedrock it is not not likely that you have radon gas in your home. We had a home in BNA and a radon test was required. They put the test kit on a granite rock in the crawlspace. Bad test! Cost me $5000 in modifications to satisfy the purchaser. The house next door sold one month later with a clean test.

Same issue in CLT. Only the test kit was left on granite counters. Bad result. I had them repeat the test and had the test kit placed on wooden flooring. Everything turned out fine.

The moral is to choose your testing company carefully and ask why they select a specific location.
I happen to agree with you.

In my experience with some of these home inspection companies (through real estate) who purchase the equipment and supposedly are qualified to do radon inspections, it's really a joke. They don't know what they are doing with the exception of charging through the nose for the inspeciton itself!
Old 02-12-2015, 02:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisnut View Post
There is very little concern for radon in Florida due to geological conditions here.

See Geologic Radon Potential of the U.S.
Radon is heavier than air and is never a problem on the slab houses so common in The Villages and thruout Florida. The comments on the underlying geology of the state not being conducive to the existence of radon gas are also accurate.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.