New construction question...

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2011, 03:04 PM
Default New construction question...

Anyone who has recently built a designer in the villages can you answer this question please? Do they give you the option to add energy efficient features to the house? I.E. tankless hot water heater, sealed HVAC ducts, high SEER rated heat pump, high MERV rated air handling system, Insulated block walls, Low E windows etc etc? Several of the competing 55+ communities are offering these as either standard or an otional upgrade. Just wondering if this is available at the villages.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livsea2 View Post
Anyone who has recently built a designer in the villages can you answer this question please? Do they give you the option to add energy efficient features to the house? I.E. tankless hot water heater, sealed HVAC ducts, high SEER rated heat pump, high MERV rated air handling system, Insulated block walls, Low E windows etc etc? Several of the competing 55+ communities are offering these as either standard or an optional upgrade. Just wondering if this is available at the villages.
At the time we bought - 2 years ago - these were not options/changes to the basics.

However, two years ago is a long time in TV construction. The safest thing is to as a TV sales agent. It is not like TV to be a laggard where lagging = decreased sales.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:10 AM

I had those same questions. We currently have a Rinnaii tankless hot water heater here at our home in MA and we love it. The savings are unbelievable and with energy costs that will only go up in the years to come we would love to apply some green products to our new home. We are going down next week to meet with the design center. I can report back with what they say.

Norm and Gisele
Old 04-01-2011, 07:50 AM
Default new construction homes

Please do report back. This is an important consideration for us. When we ask about of our sales rep we get a song and dance. "Don't worry our homes are built to the highest enery efficient standards." Well then, what's the SEER rating of the heat pump? Answer "it's high!" I feel any developer who doesn't brag about energy efficient standards in their marketing liturature probably doesn't follow any. These days energy star ratings are just about standard. But I guess the villages has such a captive market they could sell unheated tents in LSL and they would sell out in a day.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Location: PBG originally NYC. Moving to The Villages in 2012!

Please keep us informed. My partner and I are very interested in the tankless water heater. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Veteran member
Default Tankless water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolaht View Post
Please keep us informed. My partner and I are very interested in the tankless water heater. Thanks!
It is my understanding that tankless water heaters use natural gas.
New construction in TV is 100% electric. Maybe you can get propane.
But I think you would have to bury the tank.
How many years would you have to own the new tankless before you see the benefits??
Old 06-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
It is my understanding that tankless water heaters use natural gas.
New construction in TV is 100% electric. Maybe you can get propane.
But I think you would have to bury the tank.
How many years would you have to own the new tankless before you see the benefits??
Do a Google search on "electric tankless water heater" - you'll find a number of different manufacturers/models. Gas ones are probably more common, though.

GE makes an interesting type of water heater:

http://www.geappliances.com/heat-pum...e_water_heater

Bill
Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Default Tankless Water Heaters

Hi I'm with Tim Herndon Plumbing and we do work out in the Villages.
Our company has installed many tankless water heaters after the new construction is complete. There are several different types; electric and gas and it depends on the type of water heater you get for the benefits over time. Gas tankless water heaters are much better than electric because there are alot of houses in the villages that have natural gas and natural gas tankless water heaters are cheaper to run than electric. Also, tankless water heaters can be installed on the outside of the house so the cost of running gas venting is totally cut out. If the tankless is put inside the house it is a little pricy because you have to run class b stainless double wall venting so the outside of the house is your best bet. We have put in a few tankless water heaters that take propane but the propane does cost a little more so it takes a little longer to see the financial benefits. If you have any questions, please give me a call 352-201-8237
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.