Mass Hysteria

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2020, 02:10 PM
Default Mass Hysteria

As of March 6 the Center for Disease Control estimated that 20,000 Americans have died so far in this flu season.

About 40 people have died so far in the US from coronavirus, mostly elderly.

Has the media mentioned the 20,000 dead, to put this hysterical reaction into perspective?

Nope. Bad news sells newspapers, and the MSM is raking it in over this ridiculous "shut down the country" reaction to coronavirus. And the sheeple are buying it...

Pretty sad, isn't it?
Old 03-13-2020, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Until it’s one of your dear old one that gets it, right?
Old 03-13-2020, 02:18 PM
Sage

A friend of mine shared this, this morning! Read it and take a deep breath....
"I want everyone to take a big, deep, calming breath.

I’d like to give you all a true glimpse into American healthcare and how it works, for it seems that much of the population is a bit out of touch.

Firstly, It is shocking to me how many people are concerned with their health all of a sudden. While you’re freaking out about somebody infecting you with this horrible virus, maybe put your cigarettes away, or take your medication, or eat a vegetable for once.

Shocker: It is not standard procedure to test for COVID-19. There are a number of boxes that must be ticked first, before any healthcare professional in the state of Indiana will even consider it.

If you come into the ER, urgent care, or see your regular doctor and your symptoms are mild, you are going to be going home with instructions to rest, hydrate, and treat your symptoms with over the counter medication. We may test for the flu, because it is simple, cost-effective, and yields a result (we can offer you Tamiflu). There is not a simple, cost-effective test for COVID-19. There is also very little we can do with the information, if we get it. Knowing that one is positive for this novel coronavirus may help guide treatment in some ways (isolation, shared practice knowledge), but the test itself will mean next to nothing. We treat each patient differently, based on the symptoms or distress that each patient is experiencing.

Symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Unless you are in respiratory distress, don’t even try to go to an ER. You will be sent home after waiting miserably for hours, with a big bill for your trouble. This is one of the reasons healthcare professionals can’t stand panic and hysteria-it fills our offices and emergency departments with people who should be at home resting, instead.

Per the CDC, this virus is primarily spread by people who are symptomatic. In the majority of cases, you will not spread anything to anyone else unless you are ill yourself.
Actionable things:
-Take care of yourself: eat well, stay hydrated, take your medications/vitamins, and stop freaking out (it weakens your immune system)
-Wash your hands often and don’t share things or touch your face.
-Stay home if you are unwell. (Apparently, an abundance of TP helps with this 😂)
-Keep up with the Lysol and the Clorox (and read the labels, you’d be shocked how much time it takes to properly sanitize something!)

I am an immunocompromised ICU nurse. I am not worried or afraid. These things are all second nature to me. We have to help each other out a bit, here. Quit whining about restrictions, quit panicking to no end, and just keep doing what needs to be done. Think about others for a change, too. This whole major freak-out that’s happening across the world right now? Welcome to the daily life of a family with a special needs child, or a cancer patient, or an elderly person, etc. Have some compassion and just take a deep breath.

And for goodness’ sake, if they develop a vaccination for this, remember how you feel right now and GET IT!"
Old 03-13-2020, 02:20 PM

You apparently just don't understand...
Old 03-13-2020, 02:23 PM

So then every fall we need to shut down the country until May when the "regular" flu season ends, to prevent the 20,000+ deaths.
Brilliant!
Old 03-13-2020, 02:33 PM
Default Publix at Lake Deaton

I just returned from Publix at Lake Deaton Plaza. I had to drive around for five minutes to find an empty space for parking. That should have been my first clue. There were no carts available in the store. Shelves were empty, lines were ridiculous, there were no bananas, etc., etc., etc. I decided to return home and wait until normalcy returns in The Villages.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:04 PM
Sage

I find all the excuses for not taking this virus seriously, pathetic, and it would be funny except for the possible consequences to vulnerable folks. Some of us were born with no frontal lobes, I guess.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

I was fine with everything until they cancelled the Players Golf Tournament. Now, the world is coming to an end. I may have to open another Perry Mason DVD.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I was fine with everything until they cancelled the Players Golf Tournament. Now, the world is coming to an end. I may have to open another Perry Mason DVD.
With me, it’s Formula one. I was really looking forwards to it too!
Old 03-13-2020, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

I would just point out that the blue line on the chart showing total cases is only going to go up as more people are tested. So, it is not a factor of more people getting sick, but of more people getting tested.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:44 PM
Sage

I’m wondering how many people have the signs of the illness but do not want to get tested. They may not want the stigma of being identified, just like once it was when AIDS first came on the scene. Especially since nothing effective can be done for them anyways.

For example, did Bolsonaro knew he had the virus when he shook hands?

And as you can see from this forum, selfishness is coming out of the woodwork.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:56 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithDB View Post
That failure to be prepared with weeks to prepare is still evident, has made the problem worse and necessitated the more draconian measures now required to counteract this disease.

Back seat driving, after-the-fact is so easy.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

How many days before people are complaining about all the places being shut down?

Last edited by Two Bills; 03-13-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:09 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
How many days before people are complaing about all the places being shut down?

Old 03-13-2020, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
How many days before people are complaing about all the places being shut down?
Like when a Hurricane was in the forecast?
Closed Thread

Tags
died, 20, 000, reaction, coronavirus, newspapers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.