Real Estate Question

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2018, 10:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Wannabe View Post
A local realtor told us that we should hold off on buying for a year

I'm sorry, but those words have never been uttered by an actual Realtor ever. Since the beginning of time.

Even before Fred Flintstone.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I also looked at preowned on my own and through a Realtor. Primarily I was there to see if TV would work for me.

Although it is obvious to any child in the land that it is a "company town" it would work for me.

I've been investing here for almost 20 years and know scores of TV agents, upper sales management, and tons of Realtors. Tell me the name of TV agent who refused to show you resales and I will make sure he/she gets fired tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
I also looked at preowned on my own and through a Realtor. Primarily I was there to see if TV would work for me.

Although it is obvious to any child in the land that it is a "company town" it would work for me.
That very succinctly and accurately describes my feelings...in a nutshell.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Wannabe View Post
We are looking to buy a resale home in the Villages. A local realtor told us that we should hold off on buying for a year, if possible, because once the connectivity to Fenney was complete, that area (Fenney) would become the most desirable and the price of resale homes in the northern areas would drop significantly. We are new to the market, have just begun looking and we're not sure if this was sound advice. It seemed odd that a realtor would discourage buying at this time. I was just looking for some other opinions of her analysis. Thanks in advance.
A salesperson advised you not to buy. What's wrong with this picture ?
Old 05-24-2018, 06:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

IF the sales person is an outside realtor then of course they will tell you not to buy in Fenney, it almost all new properties and they can't make a dime of the sale. They will do or say anything they can think of to get you to buy an outside listed resale vs one listed by The Villages or a new home. They need to be showing you homes with what you want in the home, not be driven by what they have listed in their portfolio. If you're considering a resale then get a realtor from The Villages and one from one of the outside companies so you can see all the properties. If either one is not showing you what you want, find someone different to help you. Don't worry about hurting their feelings, it's your money and your retirement. If by chance they were to get fired because you asked for a different realtor, rest assured that you were not the first to make such a request and you are not to blame.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:37 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Time for a new real estate agent.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:05 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
I've been investing here for almost 20 years and know scores of TV agents, upper sales management, and tons of Realtors. Tell me the name of TV agent who refused to show you resales and I will make sure he/she gets fired tomorrow.
I might take you up on that offer on my next visit. I believe he is still active as I continue to receive Vmails with his name on them.

At that time he was quite a producer of sales of new homes for the developer and told me he had been given trips in a Morse Air Force jet and dined in the private dining room.

I apprized him that I was considering buying rental houses as well as a residence. He informed me he would not help me find a bargain. The new houses were flying out of inventory and were selling well at that time I suppose and he did not need to or want to invest much time in any particular prospect.

I have another Villages agent on my short list. Some now resolved family circumstances which suddenly arose kept me from continuing to pursue my plans at that time.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-24-2018, 09:04 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

Quote:
I might take you up on that offer on my next visit. I believe he is still active as I continue to receive Vmails with his name on them.

At that time he was quite a producer of sales of new homes for the developer and told me he had been given trips in a Morse Air Force jet and dined in the private dining room.

I apprized him that I was considering buying rental houses as well as a residence. He informed me he would not help me find a bargain. The new houses were flying out of inventory and were selling well at that time I suppose and he did not need to or want to invest much time in any particular prospect.

I have another Villages agent on my short list. Some now resolved family circumstances which suddenly arose kept me from continuing to pursue my plans at that time.
If you were looking for an investment property you should have bought one in Fenney while you were here, they had some awesome deals down here, still have good deals but not like they did in the beginning months.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
If you were looking for an investment property you should have bought one in Fenney while you were here, they had some awesome deals down here, still have good deals but not like they did in the beginning months.
Personally, I would not go Fenney way for a RENTAL investment, it may be fine as a resale investment, but most of the people I know who actually rent through the winter months want to be close to the town squares, notably LSL, and shopping.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-24-2018, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Sometimes things people say on the internet are just not true.

We are expected, because of the courtesy every person deserves, to believe what is said on a forum by a poster unknown to us.

We can access their bent by their general attitude and remarks over many years of posts and that is added to by meeting them in person sometimes.

One of the sales reps sold us both houses and has become a social friend. We have known him and his wife for ten years now. He is living in his seventh new home in The Villages.

I have never heard of a sales incentive here other than commission. It simply is not needed. No one ever needs to convince anyone to buy here or talk anyone into a home here. The Villages don't need to spend on advertising or offer free anything to potential buyers.

Most people who have purchased here in The Villages would tell you one of the things that they like most is the NO PRESSURE attitude. In fact some complain on lack of follow up. They will only show you what you ask to see. Our first visit, we were asked about our interests and she showed us Arnold Palmer Golf course and one of the rec centers art rooms. We had to call her to show us anything. We had to ask her to show us homes. I believe that is how they are trained.

I LOVED IT. I hate pressure from sales people. I do my own research.

The Villages reps are not desperate. They just need to show up.
P. S. I don't know the Morses. I wish I did. I have never been a realtor or sold a home other than our own, once. Here in Hadley. No one tells me to say anything. I love this place. Yes I do. I am a sincere fan.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Personally, I would not go Fenney way for a RENTAL investment, it may be fine as a resale investment, but most of the people I know who actually rent through the winter months want to be close to the town squares, notably LSL, and shopping.
You would be surprised how many people rent down here, both seasonal and year round and I'm sure there are plenty more waiting for units to become available. Nothing wrong with investing up North but nothing wrong down here either. in any event the awesome deals are gone, a lot of them picked up by investors last year.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The Villages don't need to spend on advertising or offer free anything to potential buyers.

Most people who have purchased here in The Villages would tell you one of the things that they like most is the NO PRESSURE attitude. In fact some complain on lack of follow up. They will only show you what you ask to see.

The Villages reps are not desperate. They just need to show up.
My Villages agent did not "pressure" me other than to only drive me to a few new homes and evade showing me a single preowned when I asked him to do so several times. He never called to pester me but when I called him he would just take me to see another new home. I gave up on him after I called him back two times after initially meeting him. I explored the community, met many very nice and welcoming residents, drove through various neighborhoods on my own, went to some open (preowned) houses and spent time with a Realtor.

The Villages agent was anything but desperate. He clearly was doing well just smiling, being pleasant and polite and steering folks to new homes.

I did find it troubling that he never mentioned the bond on any new house, especially because he could never seem to provide the amount of the bond. He was quite dismissive of the bond which is of course a significant figure in the cost of any new home in TV.

As for advertising...https://www.golfchannel.com/video/pl...ent-community/

The Villages TV Commercial, 'Retirement Made Fun' - iSpot.tv

This one is my personal favorite. The Villages Lifestyle Preview - YouTube

They also advertise the lifestyle visits on FB, constantly.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-24-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:15 PM
Sage

Just get a new agent, no sense kicking this guy around as no one knows who it is and really doesn't care. After all of the years you have been on this group you should know everything there is to know down here including how to find out what the bonds are before you even came down to look.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Actually I have been watching 5 rental sites for Fenney since day one to see how long they’ve been staying on the market. It’s about the same amount of days as any other home for rent either short-term or unfurnished long-term.

Plus their asking price is almost exactly the same in Fenney as an any other Village. We have friends that have rented for 9 years, and next year are staying in Fenney. As they said squares each year became less and less important. As for shopping they online about 90% like I do. Fenny is close to being finished, other Villages are already well on their way
Old 05-24-2018, 02:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
This was way before Fenney was started. I hope to see Fenney when I return. The videos show it to be lovely!

Closed Thread

Tags
fenney, buying, realtor, resale, advice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.