Real Estate Tax Bill and Home Insurance

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2018, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

OP, is this your first year here, if so, the previous tax bill may have been on an unimproved lot, now there is a house on it. Other possibility, you did a major improvement (pool, birdcage, enclosed lanai, etc.) causing the increase. Ours (Sumter County) was very close to last years, slightly lower I think. As pointed out above, if there were no changes in the property from last year, call the county and ask why.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, is this your first year here, if so, the previous tax bill may have been on an unimproved lot, now there is a house on it. Other possibility, you did a major improvement (pool, birdcage, enclosed lanai, etc.) causing the increase. Ours (Sumter County) was very close to last years, slightly lower I think. As pointed out above, if there were no changes in the property from last year, call the county and ask why.
I agree. Also check on your tax bill to see what your Maintenance went up in the Non Ad Valorem section. I think it was District 4 that took a big hit. ( Not in Sumter Co.) Let us know.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:14 AM
Platinum member

If you haven't done so, you need to back out the Bond Assessment to compare apples to apples.

Last edited by BK001; 11-05-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Been here 12 yrs. Tax bill is up $400+.

I will bring all suggestions to the accountant in the house, thanks.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 11-05-2018, 09:57 AM
Sage

Well I did indeed take your advice and called the Tax Office and they were really helpful and very pleasant to deal with. So the real story is the Tax Bill went up $20 in total and the reason given is Assessed value of property is up $5,000 (that's a big old yoohoo more value in the property when we wish to sell), and The Villages Special Assessment Amendments was an additional $40 for storm damage.

It looks like I need a new accountant!! BUT I DID LEARN SOMETHING FROM THIS .... CALL TO FIND OUT WHAT IS GOING ON BEFORE HAVING A HISSY FIT.

MY THANKS TO ALL

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 11-05-2018, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Well I did indeed take your advice and called the Tax Office and they were really helpful and very pleasant to deal with. So the real story is the Tax Bill went up $20 in total and the reason given is Assessed value of property is up $5,000 (that's a big old yoohoo more value in the property when we wish to sell), and The Villages Special Assessment Amendments was an additional $40 for storm damage.

It looks like I need a new accountant!! BUT I DID LEARN SOMETHING FROM THIS .... CALL TO FIND OUT WHAT IS GOING ON BEFORE HAVING A HISSY FIT.

MY THANKS TO ALL
////

Last edited by rustyp; 11-05-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:27 AM
Gold member

Our taxes increased 200 dollars, the assessed value of our house increased 24000 dollars. This is in Sumter County (not in the Wildwood part of Sumter)
Old 11-05-2018, 11:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
It kind of makes up for the bad pizza, doesn't it?
Old 11-05-2018, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:

MY THANKS TO ALL
Very confused. The millage rate is 5.3365 in Sumter. Your assessment went up $5000 ......... equals a $26.68 increase.
And what the devil is "The Villages Special Assessment Amendments"? Under Non-Ad Valorum you have 3 things -
Fire, Maint. and Bond. Do you have something else?

In post #19 you said "Tax bill is up $400+."
Was that a mistake?
Old 11-05-2018, 12:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Very confused. The millage rate is 5.3365 in Sumter. Your assessment went up $5000 ......... equals a $26.68 increase.
And what the devil is "The Villages Special Assessment Amendments"? Under Non-Ad Valorum you have 3 things -
Fire, Maint. and Bond. Do you have something else?

In post #19 you said "Tax bill is up $400+."
Was that a mistake?
It certainly was thank goodness! Someone, who shall be nameless, misread the bill!

Special assessment this year is storm damage and sink hole damage in our area of TV.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,924 Times in 2,450 Posts

Quote:

MY THANKS TO ALL

Just cause the assess it higher don’t mean you’ll get that price when selling. Then, maybe you’ll get more?
Old 11-06-2018, 12:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,924 Times in 2,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Our taxes increased 200 dollars, the assessed value of our house increased 24000 dollars. This is in Sumter County (not in the Wildwood part of Sumter)
The more they assess the more they get in taxes.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
The more they assess the more they get in taxes.
True, but don't forget about the Save Our Homes act here in Florida which for FL residents limits the year-over-year increase to 3% for appreciated value increases. It can go up more if they raise the millage rate or add additional assessments. For Sumter County the millage rate has been at or below the rollback rate for the past 14 years.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Closed Thread

Tags
home, real, insurance, estate, tax

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.