THIS WEBSITE IS "ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS" as us Transplanted Brits Would Say

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Default THIS WEBSITE IS "ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS" as us Transplanted Brits Would Say

A BIG "THANK YOU" to those involved who designed this site and got it up and running. I only found it a few days ago. It's fabulous. Thank You So Very Much.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Founder
Default Re: THIS WEBSITE IS "ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS" as us Transplanted Brits Would Say

Thanks so much It is our pleasure to serve the residents of the Villages and interested guests. As you Brits would say, Cheers for now.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Gold member
Default Re: THIS WEBSITE IS "ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS" as us Transplanted Brits Would Say

Yes, thank you as well for the kind comments. It's nice to hear people are enjoying the site. We put a lot of time and effort into Talk and have some great things planned for the future.

Darrel.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Platinum member

Mo779, Although we all believe that we're speaking the King's English, there are words and expressions which we (Yanks) use in everyday conversation which may have a very different, somewhat unusual meaning in another country. For example, I've heard folks from Ireland say, "Why don't you join us for some good crack?" They're inviting you to get together for drinks and laughs. Yet, in the USA, crack only means one thing these days, drugs. So put that way, it raises everyone's eyebrows. Since TV has a pretty good cross-section of people, have you heard (or overheard) anything which didn't make sense to you? Are there accents which are totally unintelligible to you?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:50 PM

We appreciate all the work you must have put into it. Thanks.

Larry and Rose
Old 07-17-2007, 04:27 AM

Re Two Labuages ..we have lots and lots of examples ..but the funniest for us was when we were out with our American Friends Ruby and Mel ..they said they'de like to have an early nite 'cos they'd been out 'shagging' (dancing) all the previous nite ...my wife Annie and myself ..our mouths just dropped open with astonishment ...Ruby just looked at us and said' I guess that means something else where you come from ??'

You are damn right it does !!!! Mail me on mikegreen1946@hotmail.com for an explanation if you need one and more examples !!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:18 AM

with Mo779. I too just join this web site and I love it. Its great finding out about all kinds of info. I'm hoping to move there in the sring. I have to work on my wife yet. Wish me luck.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:52 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogond
with Mo779. I too just join this web site and I love it. Its great finding out about all kinds of info. I'm hoping to move there in the sring. I have to work on my wife yet. Wish me luck.
We all hope you are successful "...working on her." ;D
Old 07-17-2007, 12:28 PM

Hello Gogood!

If you have any problems "working on your wife"...Just send her to me! I'm not sure there is anyone more in love with TV!!! The first time my husband and I went to visit, I said there was NO WAY I was moving to Florida!! " All those bugs and that humidity, no thank you!!!!" I didn't want all that structured group activities, the houses were too close together etc......... Now when all my friends see me coming they RUN because they know that some how I will find a way to work TV into the conversation! After two visits there is NOTHING I don't love about TV! Just waiting for the house to sell then we're on our way!!
Old 07-17-2007, 02:31 PM

Thanks Darbyduff. Where are you from? We're from NJ. We've been down a couple of times to visit friends and family. My sister moved there in 2001. We went to visit in 2002 and I loved the place. Came home and started telling friends about the place. Well 4 couples have visited the place and they all love it and now they live there and I'm still in NJ :'( I'm trying to get her to retire. She has her own business and is not ready yet. But I've got the good old Government on my side. Property taxes will be over $10,000 by next year. So I hope that will help change her mind.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryoung
Mo779, Although we all believe that we're speaking the King's English, there are words and expressions which we (Yanks) use in everyday conversation which may have a very different, somewhat unusual meaning in another country. For example, I've heard folks from Ireland say, "Why don't you join us for some good crack?" They're inviting you to get together for drinks and laughs. Yet, in the USA, crack only means one thing these days, drugs. So put that way, it raises everyone's eyebrows. Since TV has a pretty good cross-section of people, have you heard (or overheard) anything which didn't make sense to you? Are there accents which are totally unintelligible to you?
Well, I still find it very hard to understand the Yorkshire dialect. And yes, things do have a different meaning in the UK to here. Brits often ask their neighbor, on their way out to work in the morning, to knock hard on their front door as a wake-up call.
"Knock me up" when you are leaving (for work) means exactly that!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.