Really

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2017, 07:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts
Default Really

Just read on the un-named news source that someone is sitting in Michigan and taking a shot at debris pickup. Not even here but has an uninformed opinion and weighs in. The downside of the growth is that the residents are losing the connectivity that once existed. They point fingers, get upset when stuff isn't done to meet their expectations. The think it's ok to do what they want, take debris to postal stations, add trash to the piles in rec center parking lot and complain about how their area was designed. I agree that maybe the District should have found another way to handle the debris and then pass the cost on to the residents. Trying to save 75% for us should be disregarded....why try to help us when it seems we aren't willing to help them. Having said that, I know it's the minority that takes that position but seems they get the most press. End of rant and I do feel better.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-29-2017, 07:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Just read on the un-named news source that someone is sitting in Michigan and taking a shot at debris pickup. Not even here but has an uninformed opinion and weighs in. The downside of the growth is that the residents are losing the connectivity that once existed. They point fingers, get upset when stuff isn't done to meet their expectations. The think it's ok to do what they want, take debris to postal stations, add trash to the piles in rec center parking lot and complain about how their area was designed. I agree that maybe the District should have found another way to handle the debris and then pass the cost on to the residents. Trying to save 75% for us should be disregarded....why try to help us when it seems we aren't willing to help them. Having said that, I know it's the minority that takes that position but seems they get the most press. End of rant and I do feel better.
I feel better after reading your rant! We have to remember what you said - "it's the minority."
Old 09-29-2017, 07:32 PM

well said. Some people just seem to feel entitled
Old 09-29-2017, 08:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We always learn by experience and I am certain next time things may be run differently but I cannot image a few trash bags and stacks of tree limbs are a detriment to my lifestyle. There are people in Texas, south Florida, Mexico and Puerto Rico that are struggling to survive and we are upset over some neatly stacked piles of Hurricane debris in our neighborhoods. Honestly people, great real.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
We always learn by experience and I am certain next time things may be run differently but I cannot image a few trash bags and stacks of tree limbs are a detriment to my lifestyle. There are people in Texas, south Florida, Mexico and Puerto Rico that are struggling to survive and we are upset over some neatly stacked piles of Hurricane debris in our neighborhoods. Honestly people, great real.
I only agree with you that other areas are suffering more than us. However, while we are lucky, I do have to disagree with you regarding the rest of the post. Does it affect my lifestyle? No, BUT:

These are NOT neatly stacked bags and piles of debris
The paper bags are subject to weathering until they can be removed, so leaves and the like could end up being blown around if/when the bags are compromised (which adds to cleanup costs)
They are an eyesore at the postal stations/pool areas
There are parking spots tied up needlessly (which may be needed more so when the seasonal residents come)
NO ONE had permission to put THEIR debris in the common area (I forgot, the "entitled" don't need permission, they do what suits them)

If it is not that big of a deal, how about offering up your property for the bags/debris to be stored until they are picked up, especially if you aren't down here right now. I would imagine it would not affect your lifestyle at all and you would have a bunch of grateful Villagers (maybe not your neighbors) to boot!
Old 09-29-2017, 11:05 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

I had one palm frond that was blown down by Irma. I had planned to have it removed prior but waited. Meanwhile no further Irma Damage. Meanwhile 5 bags of normal lawn trash litter accumulated and two weeks of Wednesday lawn trash removal missed by The Villages that is paid monthly. In Salt Lake City on vacation now (Note snow 30 Miles away in September) and I have missed this past Wednesday, but I am guessing that not picked up by The Villages. I am a supporter of The Villages, but are they pulling their fair share on this effort or transferring to FEMA?

Yes I know I am not near, but two weeks of paid for service were missed.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:15 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Some people just like to trash TV.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Thanks for mentioning Puerto Rico in your post.

Suffering is great there and have seen no mention of this disaster, other than in the political portion where it "seems" we are trying to disown them.

These storms are changing peoples lives forever...people have and will die as a result.

Our prayers should go out to these folks.

DWIGHT EISENHOWER (1890-1969)
The qualities of a great man are "vision, integrity, courage, understanding, the power of articulation, and profundity of character."
Old 09-30-2017, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Those piles of Palm Fronds require one thing; patience.

In a couple of weeks we will find something else to pith us off.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Those piles of Palm Fronds require one thing; patience.

In a couple of weeks we will find something else to pith us off.
Not me, the palms nor anything bothers me as I love the Villages.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We have seen companies from Michigan and Ohio here doing work
Old 09-30-2017, 03:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
I had one palm frond that was blown down by Irma. I had planned to have it removed prior but waited. Meanwhile no further Irma Damage. Meanwhile 5 bags of normal lawn trash litter accumulated and two weeks of Wednesday lawn trash removal missed by The Villages that is paid monthly. In Salt Lake City on vacation now (Note snow 30 Miles away in September) and I have missed this past Wednesday, but I am guessing that not picked up by The Villages. I am a supporter of The Villages, but are they pulling their fair share on this effort or transferring to FEMA?

If a person know the normal yard waste is not being picked up, then why are they doing the activities that create the yard waste?
Old 09-30-2017, 03:29 PM

I hope I am not charged extra for the clean-up....I wasn't even here, I fled the hurricane,..And I can prove it...

Last edited by Villagevip; 10-01-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post

I am in the same boat. I had one palm frond down, one unopened palm seed pod and three of the "boots" from the palms right after the storm. Adding to the storm debris is all the normal yard maintenance that I have done after the storm.

I now have 11 bags of yard debris in my driveway which should have been picked up by The Villages and not the storm clean up crew. Should I have waited to do yard work that I normally would have done storm or no storm? I'm not sure what I should have done. I feel bad now that the storm clean up crews are picking a lot more than storm debris from my property.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
If a person know the normal yard waste is not being picked up, then why are they doing the activities that create the yard waste?
Very good question. My answer is that I had no idea it would take so long for the yard waster to be picked up. Another answer is I'm dumb!!! If I would have known, I never would have done yard work at this time. Let me reiterate..... I was DUMB!!!

On my own behalf, let me clarify one thing.....at the time I cleaned up our yard, it was right after the storm passed through and took me a few days. I didn't know at that time that our normal Wednesday yard debris pick up by The Villages was going to be put on hold. That revelation came long after I added to the small pile of yard debris that was from the storm.

Tags
debris, residents, designed, handle, lot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.