Really

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2017, 04:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Very good question. My answer is that I had no idea it would take so long for the yard waster to be picked up. Another answer is I'm dumb!!! If I would have known, I never would have done yard work at this time. Let me reiterate..... I was DUMB!!!

On my own behalf, let me clarify one thing.....at the time I cleaned up our yard, it was right after the storm passed through and took me a few days. I didn't know at that time that our normal Wednesday yard debris pick up by The Villages was going to be put on hold. That revelation came long after I added to the small pile of yard debris that was from the storm.
Don't be too hard on yourself. Many Villagers have added to their piles with routine yard waste. I think I read where part of the Crowder Gulf agreement said they must pick up all debris, that in the beginning CMH2 was not allowed to pick anything up until CG was finished. That might have been a FEMA stipulation, and our districts are now working to include our CMH2 in as much pick up as possible.
When this is over, I'm sure there will be a reassessment of what our VCDD did and did not do effectively. And planning for future storms will be better for all involved.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Don't be too hard on yourself. Many Villagers have added to their piles with routine yard waste. I think I read where part of the Crowder Gulf agreement said they must pick up all debris, that in the beginning CMH2 was not allowed to pick anything up until CG was finished. That might have been a FEMA stipulation, and our districts are now working to include our CMH2 in as much pick up as possible.
When this is over, I'm sure there will be a reassessment of what our VCDD did and did not do effectively. And planning for future storms will be better for all involved.
Another element to consider is that the "processor" for the yard waste may be the same processor for the storm debris. Given how much there is county and state wide (have you seen the cut up tree trunks on the side of the road in Fruitland Park for example?), their focus is most likely there versus what may be perceived as "voluntary generated debris". Keep in mind that the "processor" isn't necessarily the same for recycle or general rubbish from the home.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:38 PM
Veteran member

Our family is just joyous we didn't get the hurricane that the news media portrayed. The worst missed us! Yes, junk is around and people are scrambling to get TV back to normal. Not enough? Not fast enough, not paying through the nose for it? Finger pointing? We are just thankful it wasn't a disaster and we are all alive and in somewhat reasonable shape! How soon we forget and start griping. It will get done and in relatively short order, all considered.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
Another element to consider is that the "processor" for the yard waste may be the same processor for the storm debris. Given how much there is county and state wide (have you seen the cut up tree trunks on the side of the road in Fruitland Park for example?), their focus is most likely there versus what may be perceived as "voluntary generated debris". Keep in mind that the "processor" isn't necessarily the same for recycle or general rubbish from the home.
I hope my post didn't appear that I was complaining about anything. As its been stated over and over, we Villagers are extremely lucky with very little to complain about.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:53 PM
Veteran member

It's bad enough that people have been dumping at the mail stations and the rec centers but last night, someone dumped their debris in a cul de sac green space across the street. That takes nerve. Why did he/she think we wanted to look at it if they didn't?!
Old 09-30-2017, 09:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I hope my post didn't appear that I was complaining about anything. As its been stated over and over, we Villagers are extremely lucky with very little to complain about.
I did not take your post as complaining at all. I was merely providing another explanation of why (since none of us appear to have been involved in the decision making) yard waste pickups are being delayed. Unfortunately there are those who seem to blame the Villages when this is something most likely out of their control.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:48 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

///

Last edited by Toymeister; 10-02-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
I did not take your post as complaining at all. I was merely providing another explanation of why (since none of us appear to have been involved in the decision making) yard waste pickups are being delayed. Unfortunately there are those who seem to blame the Villages when this is something most likely out of their control.
Great 😊
Old 10-01-2017, 03:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Do not take waste to community centre car parks, or local post boxes.
Put it outside the sales office at Fenney, collection there is very quick and guaranteed!
Old 10-01-2017, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Do not take waste to community centre car parks, or local post boxes.
Put it outside the sales office at Fenney, collection there is very quick and guaranteed!
It would only be put in piles there too. Everyone is in the same boat.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:23 PM
Sage
Default We’re not alone

I just got back from working a golf tournament in Atlantic Beach. That community has hurricane debris along most of the residential streets. As I drove back to TV, it was a similar situation through Palatka, Salt Springs, and Forest. Interestingly, there was no debris driving through the national forest, but there were a lot of downed trees next to the road that had not been cut up yet. Seems a lot of places are experiencing the same delay we are.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:34 AM

Controversy sells. It's what people want to read. More readers, more revenue. Simple as that. That's why people who don't even live get their say in the on line paper.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimandMe View Post
Our family is just joyous we didn't get the hurricane that the news media portrayed. The worst missed us! Yes, junk is around and people are scrambling to get TV back to normal. Not enough? Not fast enough, not paying through the nose for it? Finger pointing? We are just thankful it wasn't a disaster and we are all alive and in somewhat reasonable shape! How soon we forget and start griping. It will get done and in relatively short order, all considered.
Well said. It could have been so much worse.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:55 AM

I suspect The Villages is saving money letting FEMA contractors pick up debris and not using their regular contractors/trucks - We are paying for regular Wed pick-up and it's not being done - If FEMA is picking up district by district then The Villages should be doing the regular wed pick-up for regular yard debris and leave the large stuff for FEMA. If not then suspect we will have to put normal yard debris in bags for pickup on regular trash days or the high number districts will become danger zones due to bags debris on the edge of roads - If left on yards it will kill the lawn. I've been through 5 hurricanes including Ivan in Pensacola so realize the massive coordination needed, just think The Villages might want to look at their process following this storm and make necessary changes to improve the process if another storm comes through. Likewise, don't consider being concerned as complaining. We are all in this together.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:13 AM
Veteran member

We had Two Debris trucks & 6 guys at our house at the same time too pick-up our 46 bags of crap last Wednesday. I gave ALL of them a bottle of water..... Job well done Guys.....

Tags
debris, residents, designed, handle, lot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.