Is this really a gated community?

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2020, 11:59 AM
Default Is this really a gated community?

Hi folks, We have been here for 8 months now, and my comment / question is; The Villages calls themselves a gated community, which technically it is. However, anyone can come through the gates, either by pressing the red button in the residents lane or going through the visitor lane. A true gated community has resident stickers with bar codes on the vehicles which allows access. I understand that when the red button is pressed a picture of the vehicle is taken, don't know if that is really true, but that does not do much to add to security. Please don't misunderstand, I don't have a problem, it just seems to me that the gates, along with the guards, don't make this a true "gated community". Further, I question the need for the gates, guards and guard shacks since they do not seem to be making anything secure. What am I missing here?
Old 02-28-2020, 12:11 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I think you nailed it.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-28-2020, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Hi folks, We have been here for 8 months now, and my comment / question is; The Villages calls themselves a gated community, which technically it is. However, anyone can come through the gates, either by pressing the red button in the residents lane or going through the visitor lane. A true gated community has resident stickers with bar codes on the vehicles which allows access. I understand that when the red button is pressed a picture of the vehicle is taken, don't know if that is really true, but that does not do much to add to security. Please don't misunderstand, I don't have a problem, it just seems to me that the gates, along with the guards, don't make this a true "gated community". Further, I question the need for the gates, guards and guard shacks since they do not seem to be making anything secure. What am I missing here?

AFAIK they don't and they def aren't. Where did you see The Villages advertised as a true "gated community?" The gates are mostly only for traffic control and to allow golf carts a running chance for a free 3 seconds to cross but not for security.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Use the search function. Enter "gates" and choose titles only. Lots of discussion on this topic.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,710 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Where and when did The Villages call themselves a gated community? I think that would be false advertising. Can you cite a source for the information?
Old 02-28-2020, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Use the search function. Enter "gates" and choose titles only. Lots of discussion on this topic.
Why would anyone want to do that as it would eliminate 50 Costco, Trader Joes and dog poop threads!
Old 02-28-2020, 12:17 PM
Sage

I have never seen any material from The Villages that claims this is a "gated community". It is a community with gates but the roads are all county roads with the exception of the roads in the CYVs. In a true "gated community", the roads are owned and maintained by the community, not the county. The gates in The Villages are primarily for traffic flow control where the MMPs cross in front of the entrances to the various Villages. Without the gates, golf carts would be in jeopardy.

Quote:
Old 02-28-2020, 12:31 PM
Sage

PLUS could you all see how many more accidents we would have??? The gates AND the round abouts are for traffic control. IF you want a true gated community perhaps a Dell Webb or similar would be perfect for you! Mostly the folks "manning" the gates are they to give directions or information (that's why the "visitor's" lane). There is a purpose despite many not seeming to see it.

Last edited by NotGolfer; 02-28-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,710 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
PLUS could you all see how many more accidents we would have??? The gates AND the round abouts are for traffic control. IF you want a true gated community perhaps a Dell Webb or similar would be perfect for you! Mostly the folks "manning" the gates are they to give directions or information (that's why the "visitor's" lane. There is a purpose despite many not seeming to see it.
I wouldn't call the Del Webb community on Rt 441 a true gated community either. They have a restaurant that is open to the public, and anyone can just drive up to the gate and say they are going to the restaurant. Same situation at Stonecrest.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Without the gates, golf carts would be in the frogger game. You wouldn’t get 3 lives.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:33 PM

I did not say TV is a "true" gated community...please re-read my post. This is a oxymoron, since TV is a community with gates, but it is not a gated community.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

The answer is no, TV is not a gated community. As OP mentions, more than gates are needed for a “gated community”.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:45 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

Quote:
I did not say TV is a "true" gated community...please re-read my post. This is a oxymoron, since TV is a community with gates, but it is not a gated community.
You stated that they call it "a gated community"
Old 02-28-2020, 04:50 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

My son lives in a true gated community, although it is not in a high or even medium crime area it has 24 hour "armed" security at the entrance. There are two lanes leading up to one gate, the owners have a remote, guests have to talk with security to get it. It is meaningless, you can say you are there for an open house or to look at the exterior of a home for sale, going to pick up a set of clubs, meeting for golf, or just say your visiting a son or parent and they let you in. A true criminal will get in wherever they want, be it here or there.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:06 PM
Sage

What you describe is not the way all gated communities work. With many gated communities, you are not going to talk your way in. I have lived in one such community and unless your name was on a list or the guard contacted the resident, you were not getting in through the front gate. This does not mean you could not find a place to climb over the walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
My son lives in a true gated community, although it is not in a high or even medium crime area it has 24 hour "armed" security at the entrance. There are two lanes leading up to one gate, the owners have a remote, guests have to talk with security to get it. It is meaningless, you can say you are there for an open house or to look at the exterior of a home for sale, going to pick up a set of clubs, meeting for golf, or just say your visiting a son or parent and they let you in. A true criminal will get in wherever they want, be it here or there.
Closed Thread

Tags
community, gated, true, gates, guards

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.