Realtors or trying it on your own?

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2015, 10:22 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

In my opinion, there are some who can successfully sell their home on their own and some who CAN NOT!!!!! Know who you are before making an attempt. If you have no idea what you are doing, tend to ramble on and on, do NOT understand the concept of only saying what NEEDS to be said about your home and could put yourself in harms way of a lawsuit, then maybe you are not qualified to sell your home yourself. Not trying to put the fear of God into you but just remember ... anything you say, can be held against you. My advise is to state facts about your home, nothing more.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:28 PM

If you sell by yourself, you need a lawyer anyway for the closing, and all the transfers from seller to buyer, their is no need for anyone else
Sell on your own I did It cost me 4 hundred dollars to list and 950 dollars closing for the lawyer.
The only thing I had to do was take pics of the house
Old 01-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Veteran member

We bought and sold our home without realtor. Used TriCounty Land Title on 441 - ask for Amanda. She was a pleasure to work with on both sales.

BTW we sold our home to the first person that made an appointment - at the price we wanted. We paid the bond off and made improvements and did not have an issue with the buyer when we explained why our home was priced above other homes.

Realtors can add value at times when you are not available, or shy about showing your home, or not comfortable with market evaluation.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
which is why they do not have a duty to represent your interests. They are working for the developer.

I trust the agents working for the developer. Our agent showed us resales equally with new listings when we were thinking about moving within The Villages.. Jim McLaughlin is worth 43 of anything....including realtors with their capital R who are needed outside of this very HOT selling place..

But with the help of McLin Burnsed we sold our house in Hadley without anyone...

If you're home is clean, doesn't smell of cigarettes, well staged and priced correctly it will sell in a very short time.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:09 PM
Sage

Gracie, Although your agent may have showed you resales equally with new listings, I still say that the realtors in TV do not have a fiduciary duty to you...they work for the developer.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:15 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=Blessed2BNTV;1000475]We bought and sold our home without realtor. Used TriCounty Land Title on 441 - ask for Amanda. She was a pleasure to work with on both sales.

We also used Amanda at Tri County and couldn't have been more pleased. You do not need an attorney - a title company can handle everything.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:35 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

shcisamax, Although you are entitled to your opinion, The Village agents need to abide and are governed by Florida Statue 475. If they do not, they can be brought up on charges by FREC, Florida Real Estate Commission and also the DBPR, Department of Business and Professional Relations. They have to abide by the same rules and regulations as ALL agents in Florida. The difference with The Village agents and Realtors, is they do not belong to any Board of Realtors.

Last edited by Phanatic Luvr; 01-24-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:01 PM
Sage

Old 01-24-2015, 10:53 PM

I really appreciate all the good advice. I actually sold one of our previous homes back in VA in one day, our oldest son is buying our last house. I have talked with a realtor but have not signed anything. I think our home will be pretty marketable. We live on a championship golf course, in a cul-de-sac with a large back yard, and have a swimming pool (which may only appeal to some). We have made some great improvements, and it fell into Gracie's criteria!!! I may just give it a try!!!
Old 01-24-2015, 11:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
The Village agents need to abide and are governed by Florida Statue 475. If they do not, they can be brought up on charges by FREC, Florida Real Estate Commission and also the DBPR, Department of Business and Professional Relations. They have to abide by the same rules and regulations as ALL agents in Florida. The difference with The Village agents and Realtors, is they do not belong to any Board of Realtors.
I was a real estate broker for 20 years. We used The Villages to sell our CYV in 2010.
We had lots of activity and sold it for more than I would have asked.
Our Villages agent knew we wanted a larger resale home with a golf course view.
At no time was it ever suggested we buy a new home.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:34 PM

I have to really think this out!! Knowing there are over 200 agents with the villages is a plus, and there is an influx of people coming every day to look.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachx4me View Post
I have to really think this out!! Knowing there are over 200 agents with the villages is a plus, and there is an influx of people coming every day to look.

Take some good pictures and put it on this forum. I think many homes are found on the internet.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:24 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
I have become a little suspect of the Village realtors because they do work for the developer and the developer's first priority is to sell new homes where they make their most profit. I have heard recently far too many people say that they have one showing in a month.
Times have changed in selling properties in TV. Greatly changed!!! There is so much inventory of new homes and with Fruitland Park being developed, they do not want to have that much inventory on hand. They also have more pre-owned homes listed than they ever had.

Personal experience of late and with quite a few of my friends is that the Villages "agents" are not putting a priority on pre-owned homes and if they meet a viable buyer, they will immediately bring them to new homes. I have had personal experience with this and so have my friends.

Their communication skills are very poor and sparse.

I have now listed with Realty Execs and have already had a few open houses, showings and constant input on what's happening. This has only been in one week. I have great expectations that it will sell because of them.

I contemplated selling it by owner but its so much work and with my old age, I feel I'd rather let professionals do it. I still stick with that decision.

Be careful out there, pre-owned homes are not selling as quickly as they were even a year ago unless you have a patio villa, they have been moving quickly.

Just my opinion and experience.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-25-2015, 11:32 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

On my three separate visits to TV the developer's agent very subtly and cleverly steered me toward buying new and showed me only new homes. When I asked to see resales he implied that he did not show them but his (unavailable) partner did. I checked and his partner did have resale listings although I have no idea how well they were marketed.

From a business standpoint it makes sense for the agents of The Villages to push new sales since that is how developers make most of their money. Resales are their competition! I also had the impression that agents of TV received larger commissions and other incentives for pushing the sales of new homes over resales which also makes sense from the developer's side.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-25-2015, 12:04 PM

My third time posting this.

Sell it on your own, it's so easy

You need a lawyer whether you sellit on your own or not.
Your lawyer will do all necessary work, transfers, closing , everything cost 950.00

I put a for sign om my window and listed on craigs list

I had it listed on every site about 12 cost 400..00

The only work I had to do was take pictures of my house

My cost for selling my house 1,350.00

You can do tyhe same just do it
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.