Rec Center fitness fees.

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2021, 07:56 AM
Default Rec Center fitness fees.

First off I have a free membership through insurance at MVP. What I find odd is there are actual membership fees for rec center fitness. Not only fees but fees that are inline or more than big name gyms. Some gyms that are 24/7 and 4x the size of rec center gyms are actually cheaper than our rec center gyms. I personally don't mind paying for things but I don't like being overcharged. I also find it odd that our rec center gyms don't accept any insurance like so many other gyms do.

Actually TV might be the only retirement community that actually charges extra on top of amenity fees for its fitness room.

Don't get me wrong I'm blessed and fortunate to be living in TV and not actually complaining but merely trying to understand the justification of rec center membership fees. Surely there is some explanation. Have a great day!
Old 02-25-2021, 09:15 AM

I agree the fees are over the top plus no indoor pools. I have no idea why the residents aren't able to swim in the evening after the sun goes down & the chance of a sunburn is non existent.
This is the only 55+ community that has no indoor pool or an indoor gym for general use.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I walked into the so-called gym at Seabreeze back when we first moved here in 2011 and there was 6 people working out, and I felt crowded. I had bought weights a few years earlier, so I continued using them at home and my wife and me would walk about three miles a day.

As soon MVP at Brownwood opened in 2013 I became a member. I paid $109 a month with tax for both of us and it was worth it, especially if you take classes. About 4 years ago United Health included Anytime Fitness in the Silver Slipper program, and I knew a few people who quit MVP and joined one of them. On the southside there was an Anytime Fitness on 44 between Morse and Buena Vista.

For past 2-1/2 years United Health started the Optum Program and MVP has been free, I think that was January 2019 that started and that helped the budget.

You're right about most places the gym is free and it's usually huge. Then again, they advertise that because the gym, one pool and one golf course is about all they have.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:56 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Nope...you really are complaining...as is your right. But the cost will only go down if enough won't pay the fee. It's called "supply and demand". Our countries economy was once based on it. Now it's based on gimme, gimme, gimme...too expensive! That's why you don't have to pay for it.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

In a retirement community, only a very small percentage of the people actually use the indoor fitness equipment. So, I think it is appropriate to require the ones who use it to pay for the equipment and the maintenance.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:18 AM

I personally was surprised there was a fee for MVP, and don't think there should be. I was more surprised to find out they no longer accept insurance as payment, as almost all the outside gyms in the area do. As far as pools, as a regular swimmer, who is full time employed, very disappointed in the hours the pools are open, and that we don't have any indoor pools.
There are many things I like here, but these are nonetheless disappointing to me.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

I would point out that only one fulltime employee is needed to monitor a Village rec center, which includes multiple indoor and outdoor facilities, as well as 2 or 3 neighborhood swimming pools. But, I believe they always have a fulltime employee to monitor the fitness equipment in the regional centers.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfree1411@aol.com View Post
I agree the fees are over the top plus no indoor pools. I have no idea why the residents aren't able to swim in the evening after the sun goes down & the chance of a sunburn is non existent.
This is the only 55+ community that has no indoor pool or an indoor gym for general use.
I would not like to pay for indoor pools used at most a few weeks out of the year. The cost comes to us. Just as excessive and unneeded spending for anything comes to us. I imagine that the fitness centers pay employees to keep them clean and to keep people from incorrectly using the equipment. That costs money. I don't use the fitness centers. I don't think a large percentage of people do, given we can pull weeds and trim bushes and sweep the lanai and swim laps and play pickleball and walk all around this lovely place.

Fiscally TIGHT...Gracie.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:09 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I would not like to pay for indoor pools used at most a few weeks out of the year. The cost comes to us. Just as excessive and unneeded spending for anything comes to us. I imagine that the fitness centers pay employees to keep them clean and to keep people from incorrectly using the equipment. That costs money. I don't use the fitness centers. I don't think a large percentage of people do, given we can pull weeds and trim bushes and sweep the lanai and swim laps and play pickleball and walk all around this lovely place.

Fiscally TIGHT...Gracie.
A lot of people don’t golf but still have to pay for the course maintenance
Old 02-25-2021, 11:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_vermilya View Post
I personally was surprised there was a fee for MVP, and don't think there should be. I was more surprised to find out they no longer accept insurance as payment, as almost all the outside gyms in the area do...
Your assumptions are wrong. MVP is not owned by TV, they're a private company and who makes a profit. I'm going 3 days a week to Brownwood MVP and they still accept my United Health Insurance, the same premium free plan the TV Medical accepts.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
A lot of people don’t golf but still have to pay for the course maintenance
The championship courses are owned by TV, the green fees pay for their upkeep and profit, if you don't golf you don't pay a dime. The executives are own by the community, your CDD owns them and they're are one of the free amenities that you enjoy as a resident of the TV.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
The championship courses are owned by TV, the green fees pay for their upkeep and profit, if you don't golf you don't pay a dime. The executives are own by the community, your CDD owns them and they're are one of the free amenities that you enjoy as a resident of the TV.
The amenities are not free. We all pay an amenity fee part of which is for golf course maintenance.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfree1411@aol.com View Post
Really? The only one?

Retirement Communities in the U.S. by areas says there are over 300 "55+ communities" in Florida. Must be thousands in the US. Thanks for researching them all for us.

Did any of the others have 214 pickleball courts, 215 bocce courts, 210 shuffleboard courts, 100 rec. facilities, or 693 holes of golf? Oh and what..... maybe 100 heated pools?
Old 02-25-2021, 12:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
The amenities are not free. We all pay an amenity fee part of which is for golf course maintenance.
Yes, it's in your $150 monthly amenity fee covers everything. It doesn't matter if you play shuffleboard, bocce ball, horse shoes, tennis, pickleball, any activity is essentially free for a low monthly fee of $150, yes you pay whether you play or not, I consider a small price to for all those activities. Find another retirement community that charges less than $150.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Yes, it's in your $150 monthly amenity fee covers everything. It doesn't matter if you play shuffleboard, bocce ball, horse shoes, tennis, pickleball, any activity is essentially free for a low monthly fee of $150, yes you pay whether you play or not, I consider a small price to for all those activities. Find another retirement community that charges less than $150.
I am not upset about the cost. I am upset about the idea that just because one person is not interested in something none of us should have it. I do not use shuffleboard, bocce ball, horse shoes, tennis, pickleball or golf but I would like a fitness center.
Closed Thread

Tags
rec, center, fees, gyms, membership

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.