Rec Center fitness fees.

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingjunior View Post
First off I have a free membership through insurance at MVP. What I find odd is there are actual membership fees for rec center fitness. Not only fees but fees that are inline or more than big name gyms. Some gyms that are 24/7 and 4x the size of rec center gyms are actually cheaper than our rec center gyms. I personally don't mind paying for things but I don't like being overcharged. I also find it odd that our rec center gyms don't accept any insurance like so many other gyms do.

Actually TV might be the only retirement community that actually charges extra on top of amenity fees for its fitness room.

Don't get me wrong I'm blessed and fortunate to be living in TV and not actually complaining but merely trying to understand the justification of rec center membership fees. Surely there is some explanation. Have a great day!
Unfortunately, those of us not on Medicare can't get "free" memberships. MVP is more expensive than the Villages Fitness. I think it's a rip off, but have no choice if I want to save money and have the convenience of working out close to home. Next year it's MVP for free and I'll also be old enough for a COVID vaccine.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
First off I have a free membership through insurance at MVP. What I find odd is there are actual membership fees for rec center fitness. Not only fees but fees that are inline or more than big name gyms. Some gyms that are 24/7 and 4x the size of rec center gyms are actually cheaper than our rec center gyms. I personally don't mind paying for things but I don't like being overcharged. I also find it odd that our rec center gyms don't accept any insurance like so many other gyms do.

Actually TV might be the only retirement community that actually charges extra on top of amenity fees for its fitness room.

Don't get me wrong I'm blessed and fortunate to be living in TV and not actually complaining but merely trying to understand the justification of rec center membership fees. Surely there is some explanation. Have a great day!
All I need is access to the weight machines, which I find very helpful when I get around to using them, which is rarely. Laurel Center’s fitness room is five minutes from my house, and I pay $5 a visit. That sure beats $109 a month at MVP for classes I’d never take.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
There is no such thing as free. We pay for the golf courses through the amenity fees. I think all golf courses should be privately owned and the golfers pay fees to maintain the course. I don't play golf, never have and never will, so why should I have to pay for their upkeep.
You have no problem enjoying the beauty a golf course provides as you drive by. Imagine if there was no open space and it was all houses. You would change your mind fast
Old 02-26-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Your assumptions are wrong. MVP is not owned by TV, they're a private company and who makes a profit. I'm going 3 days a week to Brownwood MVP and they still accept my United Health Insurance, the same premium free plan the TV Medical accepts.
I know people who recently went to MVP and they no longer accept all the insurance plans they used to. Some of us are grandfathered in so we still don't pay, but I think they accept only 1-2 plans now.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
You always did not check out the other dozen communities in Leesburg that are much cheaper than villages. There are some communities that pay $160 a month for HOA fees. There are some that pay more I live in Pembroke four miles down the road and pay $250 and this is what I get included. Grass cutting, golf course, a gym, two pools, and HOA a management company, we also get internet service 300 MBS, and cable. The last two save us about $100 a month over probably what you're paying. Yes golf can cost more what about 70% of the people do not play golf in any community. Oh and by the way how homes cost 30- 50% less than your homes by the SQ foot . And I bet we have a lot less type A personalities driving around thinking they're entitled because they live in The villages.
But you couldn’t wait to join talk of the villages. I’ve seen pembrook pines, no thanks
Old 02-26-2021, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
You always did not check out the other dozen communities in Leesburg that are much cheaper than villages. There are some communities that pay $160 a month for HOA fees. There are some that pay more I live in Pembroke four miles down the road and pay $250 and this is what I get included. Grass cutting, golf course, a gym, two pools, and HOA a management company, we also get internet service 300 MBS, and cable. The last two save us about $100 a month over probably what you're paying. Yes golf can cost more what about 70% of the people do not play golf in any community. Oh and by the way how homes cost 30- 50% less than your homes by the SQ foot . And I bet we have a lot less type A personalities driving around thinking they're entitled because they live in The villages.
Penbrooke Fairways in Leesburg compare to The Villages is night and day. One restaurant, no shopping, Dr offices, PAC, movie theaters, only 9 holes of championship golf etc. Their website specifies 3 miles from TV I wonder why?

Last edited by JSR22; 02-26-2021 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richs631 View Post
But you couldn’t wait to join talk of the villages. I’ve seen pembrook pines, no thanks
True that!!!
Old 02-26-2021, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I am wondering why you say things like this?

I think you might be feeling jealous when you drive around these beautiful neighborhoods and see people from every walk of life (as soon as the Pandemic is stymied) happily involved in a myriad of things and enjoying so many things.

I feel....lucky, blessed, happy, and so GLAD we decided to buy here but I don't think I feel "entitled" and I am not sure if I am a "Type A" or not. I admit to being a little bit influenced by being the oldest in my family.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think, if The Villages accepted Silver Sneakers, the Medicare advantage plans would be paying money to The Villages for that benefit. And, The Villages would be required to allow non-residents to use the fitness centers, because they would need to provide the benefit to anyone who subscribed to the Medicare advantage plans that included Silver Sneakers. This would also discriminate against people under 65.
No, there are lots of things insurance pays for that are based on age because it is medically needed. That does not equate to age discrimination.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1701 View Post
I know people who recently went to MVP and they no longer accept all the insurance plans they used to. Some of us are grandfathered in so we still don't pay, but I think they accept only 1-2 plans now.
I posted this on the first page, I have the same United Health plan for people over 65 that TV accepts in their medical centers. I was just at MVP twice this week, no fees. Apparently your friends are not on United Health's Villages plan, or they are not 65, but I never heard of being grandfathered in?

I didn't to MVP from late March (they closed at that time) until October, they reopened I think in August. They never mentioned anything to me about paying, being grandfathered, or my plan was not good anymore. Your friends have told you wrong, or are not in the group I'm in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those looking for a pool, indoor and outdoor, you don't have to go far, Stonecrest in Summerfield have both.

Stonecrest in Summerfield indoor pool

The Villages Florida

Stonecrest outdoor pool

The Villages Florida

As I mentioned on the first page, yes you'll have a indoor pool, but you'll have just one golf course. Here's the last review from a week ago on Golf Now about their course.

Cheap ok, but so is a cow pasture. The greens are totally wiped out. The fairways are rough ! What is so bad is that it has a pretty nice layout and mix of holes. Too bad they let the thing go to crap. Sorry, but move along, don’t waste your time here until they get a new grounds keeper !

Stonecrest HOA Fees

$204 month Classic & Estate series
$319 Garden series
$432 condo

Old 02-26-2021, 09:00 AM

Because you bought it.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

We bought a membership when we lived there & even with a membership sometimes there would maybe be 1 or 2 treadmills available. I couldn’t amagine how crowded it would be if it was FREE, people would be complaining because they couldn’t use the equipment. Just join for one month & you’ll see what I mean. I’m not complaining either but could you amagine how crowded these Fitness Centers would be if just half of the 120,000 people would want to go there. Then you would feel that you’re not getting your monies worth. I guess everybody looks at it in a different way!
Old 02-26-2021, 09:47 AM

I own a condo in Fairfield Glade TN. A very large retirement community. We pay an amenities fee each month but also have to pay for the use of all the so-called amenities when we use them (small fee). One purchases an amenities card paying upfront and each time you use an amenity the fee is debited off your pre-paid amenities card.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:55 AM

I totally agree! Wanted to join the Fenney gym but was astounded when I was told they have a fee.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:07 PM

MVP is a privately owned German is not affiliated with the villages. Of course they have a fee
Closed Thread

Tags
rec, center, fees, gyms, membership

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.