rec center masks

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2020, 12:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Why? If they are required to wear masks, why should I just leave (missing my class, meeting, or recreational activity, or maybe I came in to pick up guest passes) because someone in charge is not following the employer's rules?

Everybody needs to pay attention and do his/her part to help stop this ugly beast of a virus.
Why are you going to these classes, meetings or recreational activities where you are possibly exposed to the virus? How do you know that all the participants in theses activities aren't infected? You are ultimately responsible for your safety, not some one else.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
IMO you have that backwards. If everyone wore a mask, the virus would have been gone a long time ago.

Regardless if masks are required by rec center employees, they should be worn.
Totally untrue, masks cannot and will not stop the spread of the virus.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
That is what the rec center employees are doing at the sport's pool at Colony Rec Center. I can see the employee putting on the mask as I approach the desk that is set up outside the locker rooms. Works for me. I guess I'd be fine with it inside also but....there is a chance of aerosols lingering in the air of an indoor space if any employees are asymptomatic carriers of the virus. It would be better if the employees kept their masks on and take breaks every once in a while. Isn't that what the employees in our grocery stores and other public indoor buildings have to do?
Indoor air brings up the problem and the need for there to be a high turnover of air in commercial indoor buildings. I am curious whether The Villages rec centers have made modifications to increase turnover. For example, hospitals turn the air over at a rate of 12 times per hour. Normal buildings turn the air over ONE time per hour.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
But I thought wearing of the mask is intended to protect "others"!?
Newest research shows that it protects BOTH the wearer and those around them.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteone View Post
It's not unhealthy to wear a mask for long durations, if necessary. I'm a retired health care professional and we wore masks for 10 hrs - 12 hrs a day depending on the length of our shift.
The other day at my doctor's office the nurse checked my oxygen level as well as BP, pulse, etc. My oxygen level was 89. She told me to pull up my mask and take a couple breaths, my oxygen went up to it's normal 98. She said that she was seeing that a lot of people had low oxygen levels wearing masks. She has been a RN for a few decades now, so is she a liar?
Old 11-19-2020, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Newest research shows that it protects BOTH the wearer and those around them.
I'm sure there are a number of people who will be really happy to hear that, though those who have already passed will be a bit harder to contact.

Wearing a mask can help protect both the wearer and those around them.

My cynical side wonders if this newest research didn't conveniently appear in order to increase mask compliance. If people weren't wearing masks to protect others then maybe they would wear them to protect themselves. Unfortunately, the "experts" had been telling people masks didn't work that way. But look! There's a new study that says.....
Old 11-19-2020, 12:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikee1 View Post
If masks worked the virus would be gone by now... Remember 14 days to slow the spread. All any of this has done is prolong the inevitable.
Medical scientists say that masks work. You are "opinionating" that they don't. Logic says that I believe ALL the experts.......sorry
Old 11-19-2020, 12:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
IMO you have that backwards. If everyone wore a mask, the virus would have been gone a long time ago.

Regardless if masks are required by rec center employees, they should be worn.
Guaranteed, that if 90% wore their masks 90% of the time that the US would be back to "normal" like South Korea and New Zealand. The US citizens are too stubborn for their own good. They are like "herding cats". Hear kitty-kitty please, please wear your mask, please you stupid pu**y!
Old 11-19-2020, 12:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteone View Post
It's not unhealthy to wear a mask for long durations, if necessary. I'm a retired health care professional and we wore masks for 10 hrs - 12 hrs a day depending on the length of our shift.
Thank you, Tiny Person. Both for your great service and your great post. Keep up the good work!
Old 11-19-2020, 12:54 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
Good common sense approach , protect yourself, others are on their own.
I agree, but is anyone else disturbed by the major Danish study released yesterday that the kind mask we are able to obtain have no value in protecting the wearer (something I have long suspected based on what I learned in microbiology in college classes), and that there "may" be a very low level of protection to others from you ? This is the reason public officials like the president elect and others wear N95 masks under their fashion masks. The study released last week done on our own marine recruits in training barracks found the same thing ! Startling stats that the wearing of cotton and cloth masks do not protect from a virus but could possibly stop the actual water vapor as in when someone sneezes directly on you, or your food. I wonder if "some day" we are going to find out that this virus is spreads and effects in a way we never even thought of ? Such as certain genetic markers found in our various cultural ethnicity's or cultures ? I have always questioned my "mind", or what's left of it, LOL, knowing what I do know about microbiology, microbes, bacteria, etc. (and believe me, I am not an expert for sure, just a little education in that area) for walking around with my Disney character mask on thinking I am protected in any way for the virus (not the water vapor surrounding it) penetrating cotton ? Sometimes I think some actual experts must know this, but, feel it's better psychologically for a population to feel they have some degree of personal control over their own safety rather than have the multiply dangers of a population overcome with anxiety (crowd madness), causing stark changes in personalities, behaviors, etc. ? What we think of a panic and people becoming "unlike" themselves ? Food for thought ?
Old 11-19-2020, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Guaranteed, that if 90% wore their masks 90% of the time that the US would be back to "normal" like South Korea and New Zealand. The US citizens are too stubborn for their own good. They are like "herding cats". Hear kitty-kitty please, please wear your mask, please you stupid pu**y!
Guaranteed that is not the case. First, people would be wearing masks which has never been normal. Second, 90% of the people 90% of the time is no more than 80% compliance which would slow the virus but not stop it. We would still have limitations in sizes of gatherings, we would still have mandatory closing times for places where masks wouldn't be worn (restaurants and bars), and it's questionable whether large sports venues would be allowed to operate at capacity since they encourage cheering and yelling and other activities that increase the spread of the virus.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:02 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Why are you going to these classes, meetings or recreational activities where you are possibly exposed to the virus? How do you know that all the participants in theses activities aren't infected? You are ultimately responsible for your safety, not some one else.
I don't know how anyone knows at all if someone in their golf league, ceramics class, or in Publix has, or soon will have, the virus ? I suppose the people going to their meetings and activities go because The Villages has these activities going on, and that's why people live here ? Surely if this was considered highly "dangerous", the villages would not allow such classes don't you think ? Maybe not, but I certainly think so. Of course we are all responsible for our own safety, I completely agree ! But, if we swim something could happening, could slip, hit head, drown, who knows. Just wondering what others think too, if this was considered highly dangerous do you think the rec centers would be open and having activities ? WHY are you going to Publix ? Maybe you are hungry and have assessed the risk and it is clear that dying from hunger is much more likely than dying from Covid-19 ? I am definitely NOT a risk taker, but some of the emotional issues here just don't make sense to me in a logical, factual, analysis ! ?

Last edited by Pairadocs; 11-19-2020 at 01:05 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-19-2020, 01:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
I don't know how anyone knows at all if someone in their golf league, ceramics class, or in Publix has, or soon will have, the virus ? I suppose the people going to their meetings and activities go because The Villages has these activities going on, and that's why people live here ? Surely if this was considered highly "dangerous", the villages would not allow such classes don't you think ? Maybe not, but I certainly think so. Of course we are all responsible for our own safety, I completely agree ! But, if we swim something could happening, could slip, hit head, drown, who knows. Just wondering what others think too, if this was considered highly dangerous do you think the rec centers would be open and having activities ?
If the virus was that deadly no one would be willing to attend these classes at all and the problem would solve itself. Clearly that is not the case. Demand for classes is only going up from what I've seen.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
A simple question that could be answered with a phone call has once again turned into a debate on mask use. This debate appears to never have a conclusion.......
The US has less than 5% of the world's population. It has 19 % of the world's death. That suggests to me that the US has done SOMETHING(?) wrong! Since mask-wearing is the best available response that epidemiologists have STRONGLY suggested to us to do - and since most of we Americans have been propagandized toward not wearing masks - we of TV Land need to talk it out over and over until the CORRECT and unpropagandized message gets through. It is difficult to drill through the hardened layers of propaganda that have clouded the minds of zombiezed Americans. The goal of LIFE, liberty, and happiness starts with LIFE simply because you can't have liberty and happiness when you are DEAD!

I guess unless you maybe believe in reincarnation?
Old 11-19-2020, 01:12 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
I assume by your question that someone wasnt wearing a mask. Instead of looking to get them in trouble, just leave. Simple
If it's a work requirement refusing to wear a mask should be grounds for termination!
Closed Thread

Tags
rec, center, masks, personnel, required

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.