Rec Center wifi

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2020, 07:04 AM
Veteran member
Default Rec Center wifi

Does anyone know if it is permitted to use Rec Center wifi to host Zoom meetings? Thanks
Old 10-24-2020, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Call the rec center and ask them, as this may directly impact the WiFi availability to other users. I am guessing that you may need to use a hard wired (Ethernet) connection for Zoom meetings, but they will be able to tell you what you can and cannot do.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Call the rec center and ask them, as this may directly impact the WiFi availability to other users. I am guessing that you may need to use a hard wired (Ethernet) connection for Zoom meetings, but they will be able to tell you what you can and cannot do.
Not sure whether they officially allow it or not but I don't see why not. A ZOOM meeting uses no more or less bandwidth then watching a YouTube video or using Facetime or Skype. I would think their routers are setup to limit each IP address to a set max bandwidth anyway. Whether you have 1 or 100 persons on the meeting (unless they are all sitting in the rec center) your own device is still using the same minimal bandwidth. My daughter did a zoom meeting on a train traveling thru the Alps from Germany to Italy with no issues other than some delay due to propagation issues (the train used satellite internet).
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Closed Thread

Tags
rec, center, wifi, permitted, host

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.