Rec Centers Closed

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2019, 02:40 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Rec Centers Closed

Just received notice that all rec centers will be closed from Saturday at 5:00 pm to at least Tuesday.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-30-2019, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

That's strange since the storm is not until Tuesday/Wednesday. I'd say "at least Friday" if I was a betting man.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Also, all executive golf courses will be closed from Saturday, September 1 until September 6. Why just the exec courses? What is the difference between the two kinds of courses?
Old 08-30-2019, 05:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Also, all executive golf courses will be closed from Saturday, September 1 until September 6. Why just the exec courses? What is the difference between the two kinds of courses?
The difference is that the Executive courses are amenities and run using amenity fees and are managed by the Executive Golf Department. They make decisions based on what is best for the course conditions and the residents. They are very conservative in their decisions as has been shown but the closures.

The Championship courses are privately owned businesses and have their own management staff that makes its own decisions on the operation. They are NOT amenities of The Villages.

Something that most people don't realize is how much revenue has been lost by the Championship courses due to their closure during the water dumping to lower the retention pond system levels. Their revenue is zero and they still have to pay the maintenance staff as they are still working. There is also e loss at the retail stores and restaurants when these courses are closed for dumping.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 08-30-2019, 09:43 PM

I’m a little bummed everything is closing way before the storm. As a home and pet sitter the past six weeks I wish my last week here would have had me improve my pickle ball game Lol. And it’s cold turkey from line dancing. I need some distraction from worry. My home is in Fort Lauderdale area. Yikes.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:03 PM

I'll bet they turn the sprinklers on the execs 24/7 to get pond levels down now before the rains.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
The difference is that the Executive courses are amenities and run using amenity fees and are managed by the Executive Golf Department. They make decisions based on what is best for the course conditions and the residents. They are very conservative in their decisions as has been shown but the closures.

The Championship courses are privately owned businesses and have their own management staff that makes its own decisions on the operation. They are NOT amenities of The Villages.

Something that most people don't realize is how much revenue has been lost by the Championship courses due to their closure during the water dumping to lower the retention pond system levels. Their revenue is zero and they still have to pay the maintenance staff as they are still working. There is also e loss at the retail stores and restaurants when these courses are closed for dumping.
Thanks for the explanation. I was not complaining, just wondering.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
That's strange since the storm is not until Tuesday/Wednesday. I'd say "at least Friday" if I was a betting man.
They need time to prepare for the coming storm. Just like we do. The sooner, the better. Closing them all at the same time makes better sense than announcing phased closings.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:05 AM

Just a point of clarification for both CF and GWN, ALL golf courses will be closed! And, although district runs Execs and The Villages runs the Champs (after taking back mgmt. from GMS this past year), the current(prior to Dorian) closures were directed by Water Management, not either of the course management(s). They're concerned about the houses, NOT the golf courses! Trying to get the water down, so another storm does not flood them! Cheers!
Old 08-31-2019, 09:20 AM

Boo Hoo!!
Old 08-31-2019, 09:29 AM

If the storm continues to turn more north and stays off shore the impact will be a lot less here. They may open things back up earlier if the forecast stays like it is. Of course forecasts can always change. We will know for sure in a few days.
Closed Thread

Tags
rec, closed, centers, tuesday, saturday

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.