Received new Village survey, any suggestions?

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2015, 07:23 AM
Veteran member

Once again, as every year, Stack the street signs!!! Impossible to see a cross street if coming from the wrong direction. Would eliminate slow-downs trying to read a sign, and back tracking through neighborhoods. Doesn't take an engineer to see how wrong they are. Only see it here in TV.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesoffh View Post
We stopped filling out the questionnaire - same stuff every year and nothing, NOTHING, changes as far as our wants are concerned. Stores will open here if they see a need. Costco, Trader Joe's, etc., wouldn't open within TV, and would need a major incentive to build on 441/27, 301, 44, etc. BTW, folks who say TV is becoming congested like NYC have absolutely no idea what NYC is like! Yes, it's getting busier here, especially in the newer areas. The Colony shopping area is a nightmare, and will get worse with the opening of TV at Fruitland Park. Having come from Queens, NY, this is paradise!
I don't know if it's a waste of time filling out the survey, but I do agree that it's not a wish list for what stores or businesses we'd like to see here. I don't think that TV makes the decisions on which businesses open here. The businesses do. The fact that we are a long way from a major highway keeps a lot of major stores from settling here. Ocala, which is half the size of TV has many more major stores. If you look, many of the big chains are right off of I-75. Perhaps if the turnpike exit gets built near Brownwood we might see more of the major chains moving in, but again, that will not be the decision of The Villages.

Personally, I don't see a congestion problem where I am. True there is a bit more traffic in the snowbird months, but it's still not bad. I hear that the Colony shopping plaza is quite crowded, but I hardly ever go there so I wouldn't know. Perhaps as more retail opens up around Brownwood and in the new Fruitland Park area, the congestion at Colony might ease up.

I think that the things we need to focus on in the survey are things that TV actually has the power to do something about. Asking for Costco, Trader Joe's or your favorite restaurant from back home is not one of them. I'm sure that if Costco wanted to rent land from TV or buy a lot just outside, no one would stop them. Those stores are not here because the don't see us as a viable market for their products. 100,000 or 125,000 people might seem impressive to many of us, but people who make these decisions for these major corporations and looking for areas that millions of people have access to.

I think that the seat saving issue in the square is something that many of us are concerned about and something that the entertainment department light actually do something about if they think enough people are concerned about it.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
Signs in the squares saying "No saving seats" huh?

No offense meant but - the people who do save seats are IGNORANT!

They know it isn't right or "allowed." They just don't care!

Remember - YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!!!!
How do they know that it issn't allowed if it's not posted somewhere? In fact, I've never seen a written rule about it. Have you?

The first thing that has to happen if we want to have this enforces is to have a rule, somewhere in writing that is enforceable. Until then, no one is doing anything wrong.

Yes, I know and you know that it's wrong, but no authority is going to get involved without some kind of written rule to back them up. You can yell, "common sense' all you want, but no one can enforce common sense.

Having sings posted would stop some of these people in their tracks and give the entertainment department the backing that they need to enforce a rule.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:40 AM

An in- door pool would be nice in the winter.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:06 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Wow....the OP did not know they were lighting the keg of powder that awakens all those who don't like it here.

I bet they do not go to any public attractions.
No ball games.
No Disney or other theme parks.
No concerts.
When they travel they must take roads that only go through little towns.
They obviously come from places where they don't have to wait for a table in a restaurant (both of them).
No Grand Canyon.
No cruises.

How terrible can all that be?

And if the same folks were here 11 years ago they would have said how can we live here there are no major stores or restaurants. And the population was 35,000.

I am sure the moabers and groaners are entitled to their likes and opinions. And it is obvious they moved to the wrong location.

Also remember you will find less crowded, very quiet typical retirement communities.........and not the life extending and enjoying life style.

The 98% of us that are happy as clams feel bad for some of you....for about 2.675 nano seconds
So true. BUT why are these people that left this great place still on TOTV site when they hate it here so much? Just to cause trouble?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Op wanted suggestions to improve things in TV...........

Those who came, bought or moved and decided it was not for them that is their decisions and or opinions.

Those of us who love it here would like TV to consider the ideas of residents to improve this almost perfect place.

I totally disagree with the premise that some people who have bought in surrounding communities and enjoy all of the benefits of living in TV, is not based in fact. I have seen several people out and about in TV from other communities and still get the impression they want to have their cake and it eat it too!!!

There is nothing like being in TV!!!!!!! Being close by, is just rationalization justifying their buying decision. IMHO

Back on topic!!!!
I agree Joe. The only thing that outsiders have access to is the squares. That is a small piece of life in The Villages.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default The reason I started this post...

To give all of us an idea of most requested updates to paradise..

I know this works because they are asking golfers if they would participate in Men's day and Ladies Day if they changed Priority membership as an option rather than a requirement to increase participation. They do listen.

They need to redo trail along Hacienda (Lakes)....really bumpy, think I lost a few pounds during last trip...On second thought, forget that!...Ha!

Concern over round-about near Paige St?. and Morse Blvd (north end) for
cart safety...This is the only round-about that the cart-path circles, b4 you take the LEAP for LIFE.

Also the Mira Mesa Tunnel has a disgusting leak on outside wall b4 entering tunnel to Mira.

Many good suggestions....Thank you.

Last edited by jebartle; 03-06-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:43 AM

I agree Costco and Trader Joe's
Old 03-06-2015, 09:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnR View Post
I agree Costco and Trader Joe's
You should contact Costco and Trader Joe's with your wishes.... The Villages can't make that happen...
Old 03-06-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I don't know if it's a waste of time filling out the survey, but I do agree that it's not a wish list for what stores or businesses we'd like to see here. I don't think that TV makes the decisions on which businesses open here. The businesses do. The fact that we are a long way from a major highway keeps a lot of major stores from settling here. Ocala, which is half the size of TV has many more major stores. If you look, many of the big chains are right off of I-75. Perhaps if the turnpike exit gets built near Brownwood we might see more of the major chains moving in, but again, that will not be the decision of The Villages.

Personally, I don't see a congestion problem where I am. True there is a bit more traffic in the snowbird months, but it's still not bad. I hear that the Colony shopping plaza is quite crowded, but I hardly ever go there so I wouldn't know. Perhaps as more retail opens up around Brownwood and in the new Fruitland Park area, the congestion at Colony might ease up.

I think that the things we need to focus on in the survey are things that TV actually has the power to do something about. Asking for Costco, Trader Joe's or your favorite restaurant from back home is not one of them. I'm sure that if Costco wanted to rent land from TV or buy a lot just outside, no one would stop them. Those stores are not here because the don't see us as a viable market for their products. 100,000 or 125,000 people might seem impressive to many of us, but people who make these decisions for these major corporations and looking for areas that millions of people have access to.

I think that the seat saving issue in the square is something that many of us are concerned about and something that the entertainment department light actually do something about if they think enough people are concerned about it.

I have to give credit where it is due and this post makes so much good sense that I just had to quote it so maybe more people will get to read it before it is lost in the thread as the beat goes on.

Copycat Laurie

PS: -- although I do have a concern about Colony crowding. I have been known to flee to that lovely Publix by the hospital when I have time. And today, I will try the Winn-Dixie at Pinellas. Or I can time my Colony visits. Or sometimes just go there at a busy time and experiment by smiling at everybody. Colony can be quite a study.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
As far as I know, persons not on the deed do not have input to the survey. The street sign issue is one that I have mentioned on previous surveys and will do so again. Thanks for including this. I also suggest restaurants and retailers I would like to see in the area, and happily some are coming. If you are a deeded owner, but not currently residing here, your input is appreciated. If you are not, I wonder why you are on this thread? There are many other threads for your suggestions of improving our community. I love this place. Best place I have ever lived. Good neighbors, kind people, caring friends. What more could anyone ask?
Excellent post! Why would people who don't live here comment on a Villages homeowner survey? Usually their posts are all negative so who wants to hear them anyway. Silly really that they post here. Reminds me of my company's forum board where everyone posts anonymously and it is a fun and wild forum. But for some reason people who have left the company or have never been an employee come on and post a ton of negative comments. It it is a forum run by a private company for many separate corporations in our industry so you can't restrict members, but most of the employees on the board get very testy about people commenting negatively about their company. If you ask for improvements from owners in the Villages why open it up to outsiders? If that is what they wanted they would have mailed the questionnaire to the entire country. I find it strange that there are so many people on this forum who don't live here. Thousands of posts and they don't like the place?
Old 03-06-2015, 11:50 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Trudy.

The commercial section of The Villages use the requests for new business to try to leverage those new businesses to come here and rent or build to suit.

Sometimes the businesses we want listen. and sometimes they don't. Usually businesses looking to expand depend on demographers who are hopelessly behind the times on The Villages. It wouldn't hurt to barrage the business you want personally but it hasn't helped much with Homegoods and Chipotle that I want.
Didn't know that was postulating why certain questions would be on the survey.

I just bought so I have not gotten the survey guess it will be next year. But that doesn't mean I haven't noticed a few things that might help those who manage our amenities money in their efforts to maintain our great lifestyle. So sorry if a new homeowner posted her ideas. My brain doesn't shut down just because my name doesn't appear on a deed till next Wednesday.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will VDS View Post
We need signs at the pool area's telling some dog walkers to remember to pickup there dogs crap, it's the right thing to do.
The people who WON'T pick up the dog poop are the same people who can't read! Some people will never change or feel it's not their job!
Old 03-06-2015, 03:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
Didn't know that was postulating why certain questions would be on the survey.

I just bought so I have not gotten the survey guess it will be next year. But that doesn't mean I haven't noticed a few things that might help those who manage our amenities money in their efforts to maintain our great lifestyle. So sorry if a new homeowner posted her ideas. My brain doesn't shut down just because my name doesn't appear on a deed till next Wednesday.
I don't understand. Of course you have a right to say what ever you think, Trudy.

I was only trying to explain to all folks that The Villages cannot control who comes here to open a business. They can use the numbers on the survey to "prime the pump" and they assuredly can build a building for them and rent it to them.

I am sure you will get a survey next spring.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:54 PM
Location: Living in the Villages after 26 years on the Upper Westside of Manhattan!

A Vegetarian Restaurant
An Indian Restaurant
A French Bistro
Trader Joe's
COSTCO
Transportation Between Town Squares (Shuttle Buses or Trolleys?)
formerly of Manhattan and weekends on the Jersey Shore--now living the dream in Caroline!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.