Recent Villages Burglaries

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2015, 07:51 AM
Veteran member
Default Recent Villages Burglaries

Apparently another reported break-in or a attempt break-in.
Folks watch out for your neighbors is the best protection, this is the third one in Gilchrist in the last 2 months.
These criminals are getting very aggressive.
When i built 1.5 years ago i had the house pre wired for an alarm system and i was told by everyone don't worry the villages are safe.
Well i am glad i did and now i am adding CAmeras.
Crime doesn't stay in high crime areas it comes to the the villages, i applaud the elderly woman and men that exercise the amendments to carry a firearm so they don't become victimized.
Lets see the controversy of that comment, have a nice day folks and stay safe.

Dear Bob,

Not sure if you need to put this out for 209/210...

We had an attempted break-in tonight approximately 7 p.m. at our home [ Eastfield Path]. The police asked that we make sure our neighbors are aware of the situation and to look out for each other because this is not the first attempted break-in in our area.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:53 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Chellybean, sent you a PM earlier this morning
Old 02-18-2015, 08:04 AM
Platinum member

I wish we all had security systems. I have one installed at my home. I'm convinced that the VCCD could negotiate volume based contracts for us and get security systems for thousands of homes that want them at a very reasonable cost. Even a stupid burglar is not stupid enough to break into a home that is going to set off an alarm that draws the neighborhoods attention to the home, and immediately dispatch the police. They see the sign and move on to somewhere else. Most of the security system firms now use wireless systems, so no cutting the wires on the outside to disable the alarm.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The sooner the bad guys find out not to fool with us, that they are being photographed all the way down the street and in between the houses and inside the houses when we are away....and that many homes have well trained marksmen inside, the sooner they will leave us alone.

Be aware of anyone who comes into your home to do ANYTHING, and if you have personal electronics or jewelry keep them hidden.

But...as my Sweetie tells me often, WHAT could anyone take that would REALLY destroy our happiness at this stage of our lives?
Old 02-18-2015, 08:21 AM
Veteran member

Well said Gracegirl:
But here is the truth and statistics:
The average thug or criminal is for the quick score and if he is using drugs and is living on the street the security alarms don't bother them much.
Think of it this way, what can you threaten them with if they get caught, but with 3 squares and a place to sleep with all their friends, if you get my point.
There are security systems that can have integrated app's on your smartphone to monitor every action of your security system including camera control depending on which one you have.
I have put in security systems for over 37 year privately and you can't stop criminals if they don't care of the outcome, so the less valuables in the house the better off you are and photocopy anyones id's that is going to enter your home and keep them for a record for the police if you have a break in, in the future so them may investigate if needed. Most break-ins are related to activities that happen in or around your home, i think you folks are getting the point. Stay Safe Folks.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:29 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Hornet spray...always keep a fresh can by the bed just in case....
Old 02-18-2015, 08:30 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

I was told by one of my friends / neighbors, that there was also a break-in yesterday on Barksdale in St. James.
On February 4th, I received an email from one of my clients saying there was a break-in on Stepping Stone in Gilchrist. This was a week after the helicopter chase for the break-in the previous Wednesday in Gilchrist.
I then sent an email to all my clients south of 466A with details that were told to me, and to keep their eyes open for any suspicious activity. From that email, I had two other clients tell me of recent break-in in both Collier and Pinellas.
I don't read the local newspaper, although do check the other news website and have seen nothing reported on all these break-ins. A little disturbing. I am just telling you this to be sure you are all aware of these recent activities. It's prime time for robbers with everyone here.
Remember call 911 if you see ANYTHING out of the ordinary.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Hornet spray...always keep a fresh can by the bed just in case....
Which would not work well if you were in the kitchen during a daytime break. I prefer something more easily carried.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:41 AM
Sage

look into "bump proof" locks

A shotgun isn't a bad idea either
Old 02-18-2015, 08:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
I was told by one of my friends / neighbors, that there was also a break-in yesterday on Barksdale in St. James.
On February 4th, I received an email from one of my clients saying there was a break-in on Stepping Stone in Gilchrist. This was a week after the helicopter chase for the break-in the previous Wednesday in Gilchrist.
I then sent an email to all my clients south of 466A with details that were told to me, and to keep their eyes open for any suspicious activity. From that email, I had two other clients tell me of recent break-in in both Collier and Pinellas.
I don't read the local newspaper, although do check the other news website and have seen nothing reported on all these break-ins. A little disturbing. I am just telling you this to be sure you are all aware of these recent activities. It's prime time for robbers with everyone here.
Remember call 911 if you see ANYTHING out of the ordinary.

Thanks for the heads up we need this type of information, A heads up by everyone is the best defense.
Unfortunately the sumter police need to pay more attention.
I called them a month ago and reported a suspicious character that was landscaping down the street.
He was going door to door soliciting with pamphlets in his hand.
When he came to my home (As i was watch through a window he could not see me due to the sun and a camera on him) he came to the front door looked in the window, did not ring the doorbell or leave a pamphlet he was carrying, i got the impression he was casing the place instead of soliciting.
The Police found him and checked his identification, and that was it. Maybe it was nothing or maybe something , but if he was casing the neighborhood i bet he will pick a different location now.
Keep your eyes open this is a very transient states
Old 02-18-2015, 08:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Which would not work well if you were in the kitchen during a daytime break. I prefer something more easily carried.
I agree they would be very unhappy once they got through the door in my home to, and i am afraid the medical examiner would have to be called after the police show up.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
Thanks for the heads up we need this type of information, A heads up by everyone is the best defense.
Unfortunately the sumter police need to pay more attention.
I called them a month ago and reported a suspicious character that was landscaping down the street.
He was going door to door soliciting with pamphlets in his hand.
When he came to my home (As i was watch through a window he could not see me due to the sun and a camera on him) he came to the front door looked in the window, did not ring the doorbell or leave a pamphlet he was carrying, i got the impression he was casing the place instead of soliciting.
The Police found him and checked his identification, and that was it. Maybe it was nothing or maybe something , but if he was casing the neighborhood i bet he will pick a different location now.
Keep your eyes open this is a very transient states
I think the Sumter county sheriff's office does a good job. They can't arrest solicitors and they may be bad guys, but some are just annoying.

Someone was going door to door in our area too and I talked to him and he left me his card. He was very hard sell, but he had a van with the name on it. Green something.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:57 AM

Post this sign next to your alarm company sign,
"Due to the high cost of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be fired!"

Old 02-18-2015, 08:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think the Sumter county sheriff's office does a good job. They can't arrest solicitors and they may be bad guys, but some are just annoying.

Someone was going door to door in our area too and I talked to him and he left me his card. He was very hard sell, but he had a van with the name on it. Green something.
Yes Graciegirl i get your point and i do agree the sumter county does do a fairly good job but they have a lot of new and inexperienced officers that need more training.
I do understand that solicitors should not be arrested for soliciting, but a heads up for everyone that this can be a tactic for casing the area. have a nice day
Old 02-18-2015, 08:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGranny View Post
Post this sign next to your alarm company sign,
"Due to the high cost of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be fired!"
God that was Funny !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.