Old 02-18-2015, 09:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalGranny View Post
Post this sign next to your alarm company sign,
"Due to the high cost of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be fired!"
Really funny...and true!
Old 02-18-2015, 09:43 AM

Big reason why you shouldn't use the solicitors that come to your house. The reason they keep doing it is people keep using them. So when criminals walk the neighborhood, posing as solicitors, it doesn't raise the red flag like it should. No doubt someone has spoken to the criminals posing as solicitors, but didn't have a clue.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Hornet spray...always keep a fresh can by the bed just in case....
I Hope that you never get "stung!"
Old 02-18-2015, 10:35 AM
Gold member

You can now buy small cameras which can be mounted on the inside and outside of your home , that you can monitor with your smartphone. If I am not mistaken you can record with them. There is a company with a product called Hue,that makes a light bulb with a cam in it, that can also be used with your smart phone and computer.
I called the community watch a while back to report flyers left at my front door by a landscaping company. I was told that the streets are open to anyone and they could not stop anyone from leaving anything like that at your door.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:36 AM
Platinum member

Since TV is attracting such a lovely element here, might be time to move on
Old 02-18-2015, 11:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post

Oh please. anyplace you'd move to would likely have a much more significant rate of crime. Any place that has building going on is a target.

But then, it is a free country.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:06 AM
Platinum member

Easy does it. Yes I realize there is crime everywhere but perhaps if we didn't have gates that are a joke and that anyone can get in by simply pushing a button, that might help. You can't really call this a gated community even though the realtors do.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
And where might that be to? Back to Queens and Long Island, New York - Scottsdale, Arizona - Orlando? Or how about to Detroit, Atlanta, Ferguson, MO? Maybe even to St. Louis, MO (the sh**hole of the Midwest).

Kind of a drastic statement, wasn't it? Just be vigilant and watch for anything suspicious.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Easy does it. Yes I realize there is crime everywhere but perhaps if we didn't have gates that are a joke and that anyone can get in by simply pushing a button, that might help. You can't really call this a gated community even though the realtors do.

Diane - this is not a gated community. The streets, except for those in villa areas, are public. As soon as the developer has completed an area the infrastructure (most of it) is turned over to the appropriate county or municipalities. That's why you see police on our internal roads and neighborhoods. The gates only provide the appearance of a gated area.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:21 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Diane - this is not a gated community. The streets, except for those in villa areas, are public. As soon as the developer has completed an area the infrastructure (most of it) is turned over to the appropriate county or municipalities. That's why you see police on our internal roads and neighborhoods. The gates only provide the appearance of a gated area.
Isn't it kind of pathetic that we only have the appearance of being a gated community and yet we have to swipe the stupid little white cards or push a button to get in? Those gates aren't fooling anyone.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Isn't it kind of pathetic that we only have the appearance of being a gated community and yet we have to swipe the stupid little white cards or push a button to get in? Those gates aren't fooling anyone.

I agree with you. 2 comments: 1) we knew TV was not a true gated community before we bought here and 2) I'd hate to see the gates removed- they do help some, and they actually help protect golf carts cross some major streets.

What do you think?
Old 02-18-2015, 11:26 AM
Veteran member

Monday the 16th I noticed a man going door to door with flyers, I called community watch, they said I had the wrong department, call community standards. There response was if they had someone in the area they would check it out. I happen to live in 209/210 area I am beginning to think this community watch is just smoke and mirrors.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:29 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I agree with you. 2 comments: 1) we knew TV was not a true gated community before we bought here and 2) I'd hate to see the gates removed- they do help some, and they actually help protect golf carts cross some major streets.

What do you think?
I absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately, my realtor led me to believe that we would be truly gated once construction was finished. Kind of disappointing.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:32 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
You migh be right, but seriously where could you go that would be safer? The only place would possibly be the Midwest......some small town......but then you have snow, cold and really....nothing to do.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
I absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately, my realtor led me to believe that we would be truly gated once construction was finished. Kind of disappointing.

Wow. That was completely dishonest.

On the other hand I've lived in several truly gated communities. Assessments for unexpected infrastructure repairs (roads, etc) can be very expensive. Even large gates (not poles) can be breeched. All said I'm happy to be here. I hope you will be also.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.